Coolguy11
KJVPrewrather

Is prison actually pointless?

KJVPrewrather has forfeited round #5.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Coolguy11

Pro

Not much of a debate, just more of a discussion. People go to prison for committing crimes, but depending on the crime, there can be other consequences. For example, doing certain drugs is a crime (shouldn't be); throwing people in jail for it is not productive, if they have an addiction they can go to rehab and if they're not addicted then there's no problem. How about thieves? Law enforcement can just take the stolen items back, maybe take some of their possessions away too as punishment. Murderers should get the death penalty. Rapists should be castrated. How about white-collar crimes? Fraud for example, can be enforced by depriving the perpetrator of some of his/her property at the worst. Regardless of the consequences I propose, I don't think locking somebody up in a cell for a while will accomplish anything, not to mention it takes up taxpayer dollars.
KJVPrewrather

Con

I have a cousin who shall remain anonymous who has dui's, one gun charge, and some drug charges on him. He is mentally ill with bipolar disorder, yet remains untreated. If prison wouldn't whip his azz into gear, one year at a special state institution might save his life. Many people find Jesus in doing time.
Coolguy11

Pro

If he's mentally ill don't you think it would be more beneficial for him to be put in a mental institution?
KJVPrewrather

Con

There are some prisons with psych wards, ainnot? It's up to his lawyerr. Anywhoo, my lawfully proven rapist needs to be in prison for life.
Coolguy11

Pro

Well if he"s gonna be in prison for life why not just execute him?
KJVPrewrather

Con

I don't believe in the death penalty and want my rapist alive so he can receive Jesus. I personally believe that most forced death is murder and am newly a prolife arccoss the board progressive. I also hold personal methods of the death penalty as cruel and unusual punishment. I believe personally that every death should be humane. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I believe that justice is a right. I believe that I would donate a kidney to my worst enemy, because I'm a CHRISTian. I can't love Jesus and hate living souls. Jesus loves, and wants all to be saved, how can I wish death on His creation? I wonder if you have ever been denied justice, and that is why you are saying this, but I wont make a claim lest I strawman.
Coolguy11

Pro

Are you implying that the death penalty is not justice? Wanna make sure I get it right. I disagree, I think if you are fine with locking somebody in a cell the rest of their life, what's the problem with killing them? The "do unto others as you would have them do to you" argument kinda makes sense but that implies that you would be ok with a criminal locking you up. You don't have to hate anyone, that's a different topic. So basically if you condemn somebody to a cell the rest of their life why not jsut end it early on?
KJVPrewrather

Con

No, hun. I am saying that current methods of the death penalty are cruel, and that most forced death of humans is murder in my opinion. I oppose most abortions: all current methods of the death penalty, most wars, all torture, and support gun safety legislation. I am accross the board prolife.
Coolguy11

Pro

We're getting off track, we're talking about prisons. If you think the death penalty is unjustified than what justice does prison do, what benefit does prison have?
Posted by Coolguy11 3 years ago
Coolguy11
@amphia it shouldn't
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
Death penalty costs more than prison
Posted by Coolguy11 3 years ago
Coolguy11
@ "you can"t not just put thieves in jail." Why? What is the actual problem with just taking their property away
Posted by Coolguy11 3 years ago
Coolguy11
I don"t think any drugs should be illegal :). Drug laws are a different issue tho
Posted by akang22 3 years ago
akang22
"For example, doing certain drugs is a crime (shouldn't be);" -Coolguy, line 2, round 1.
Can you specify which drugs and why they shouldn't be illegal?
Posted by GodsWarrior76 3 years ago
GodsWarrior76
And thieves should go to prison. You can't just take the items that they stole back and not put them in jail. Next time they'll try to steal and get away with it, so when they go to prison they learn that next time won't be so easy. Really it's a stupid question.
Posted by GodsWarrior76 3 years ago
GodsWarrior76
People that are not addicted to drugs should learn not to try them, and maybe they wouldn't go to jail.