pashute
Challenge Expired
Open Debate

Is temperature from concentrated light rays limited by their frequency?

Debate Challenge Expired
Nobody accepted the challenge for this debate. If you are pashute, login to see your options.
Updated: 7 years ago Status: Challenge Declined

pashute

Pro

There is an argument on halfbakery.com

Second Law of Thermodynamics Temporal Violator
http://www.halfbakery.com...;

about the reason for a temperature limit from sunrays.

The argument is between WcW who advocates the view that:
temperature from concentrated light rays is limited by the rays' frequency
and that once a certain temperature is reached, the temperature will not rise above it even if rays are continued to be concentrated on that spot.

Furthermore, Since rays from the sun have a frequency which results with a limited max temperature transfer, which is much less than the sun's surface heat, you cannot concentrate sun rays to cause a temperature similar to that at the sun's surface.

... and against MechE with (male) SpiderMother, who claim that:
temperature from concentrated light rays
is limited by the geometric fact that you cannot concentrate any amount of light, to more than the original amount emitted, and in fact to much less than that.
I am not clear about their argument, and why it is due to geometry, and leave it to whoever decides to contest WcW's argument.

I wish to warn the readers of that argument that at some point bigSleep wrote: "Taxi!"
Posted by StopSquark 7 years ago
StopSquark
No, I cannot :(

Yeah, this is more complicated than I thought and I am no longer sure. I was under the impression that there was work done to the system in the process of temporally focusing the sun's radiation (moving the mirrors to be specific), therefore the 2nd law didn't apply because then the system wasn't isolated.
Posted by pashute 7 years ago
pashute
Scapgoat, where in that wp article is there a hint of an answer? Couldn't find it.
I'm a wikiped by the way.

Wait!! StopSquark, can you prove your point?

All three Halfbakers agreed that you cannot use a solar oven to reach a temperature above that of the sun surface! One of them, MechE, I respect as a knowledgeable scientist. The argument was only about the REASON.

It started off as a debate "against" the second law of thermodynamics, but all agreed to its validity, and were explaining why the solar oven was limited. Did you read that, and are you saying that's wrong too?
Posted by StopSquark 7 years ago
StopSquark
Basically, the original poser of the question had the wrong premise. You CAN have a solar oven heat an object to above sun's surface temperature. This does NOT violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
Posted by The_Scapegoat_bleats 7 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
Even Wikipedia can tell you this one: http://en.wikipedia.org...