DebateSushii
AKMath

Is the NRA spreading lies and rumors?

DebateSushii has forfeited round #2.
Started: 7/1/2018 Category: News
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

DebateSushii

Pro

The NRA is in fact, spreading lies and rumors. As children in America, most of us have been taught that things like Ritalin, violent video games, and America's culture are the cause of violence in the U.S. I, and a few others, believe that these blatant lies originate from the NRA. To begin, the NRA has been endorsing candidates since 1990. So far, they have spent $41.4 million on supporting the campaigns of pro-gun candidates like Donald Trump and Mike Blevins. Trump responded to the Stoneman Douglass High School shooting by blaming violent video games and movies for damaging the minds of young children. In fact, video games only affect children in a positive social way. According to Christopher Ferguson and Patrick M. Markey,"Not only is interest in violent video games rare among school shooters, these perpetrators express much less interest in this violent medium than most other individuals. If you were to enter any school in America you would find that about 70 percent of the male students habitually play violent video games... those who perpetrate acts of violence in schools are more than three times less likely to play violent video games than an average high school student." Video games are definitely not the cause of school shootings and violent children in America. According to a Chicago Tribune reporter, Rex W. Huppke, "Retired Lt. Col. Oliver North, the incoming president of the National Rifle Association, said on 'Fox News Sunday': 'The problem that we've got is we're trying like the dickens to treat the symptom without treating the disease, and the disease[,] in this case, isn't the Second Amendment. The disease is youngsters who are steeped in a culture of violence. They've been drugged in many cases. Nearly all of these perpetrators are male, and they're young teenagers in most cases. And they've come through a culture where violence is commonplace. All we need to do is turn on the TV, go to a movie. If you look at what has happened to young people, many of these young boys have been on Ritalin since they were in kindergarten'." Violent video games, Ritalin, and movies are put to blame by the president of the NRA, so if the NRA is endorsing pro-gun politicians who spread the message they are trying to spread, and if they are spreading lies to make Americans stop blaming the NRA, is it not evident that the NRA has been trying to save itself from the now recurring American dream towards a utopia? Utopias may not be possible, as history has shown us, but the way the NRA is spreading lies is surely not a nice way to save itself.
AKMath

Con

What lies are they spreading. The NRA is really it"s own separate company like the FBI and CIA. They make their own money and make their own profit, It"s totally fine they give money to pro-gun activists as they make their own money, and can endorse candidates like any other corporation. I agree that violent video games don"t cause violent actions(me playing them myself). The NRA has never said that violent video games are to blame. So how are they spreading lies? You are suggesting they support this theory just because they gave some money to Trump.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Can you change the debate to "Are guns good?"?
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
"But the NRA is hiring politicians to spread their messages." They donate to right wing campaigns, but many companies do the same.

Planned parenthood donated almost $700,000 to Democratic causes (https://www.factcheck.org...). They also claim to be non partisan, but it's obvious they are on the left. At least the NRA is not lying about their ideology. The NRA protects people by allowing the individual to defend themselves. I support the NRA and I did not receive 1 cent of donations from them.
Posted by DebateSushii 3 years ago
DebateSushii
But the NRA is hiring politicians to spread their messages.
Posted by cameron2712 3 years ago
cameron2712
As far as I can see, it's not the NRA peddling anything of the sort. A man named Jonathan McIntosh tried claiming that during the 90s, but was ultimately proven wrong.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Your site requires a subscription. Also, guns are great for the individual because they provide protection against criminal(s), and a potential tyrannical government.
Posted by DebateSushii 3 years ago
DebateSushii
Huppke, R. W. (2018, 22 May). School shootings, Ritalin and the NRA's culture of convenient excuses. Chicago Tribune Retrieved from https://sks.sirs.com...

I would have posted this, but it requires a ProQuest membership to access.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
I can debate with you on, "Guns are good" where your con and I'm pro. Even though I'm pro gun, I don't know if the NRA spreads lies. They don't lie about guns.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
You fail to provide any links.