andrew_482
asta

Is the Wage Gap real?

andrew_482

Con

This is my opening statement. I believe the wage gap is an absolutely, Completely, Utterly stupid idea in today's culture. I believe that in fact some women are even paid more than men in certain areas of the country, And feminists just made the idea up as 1 more thing to whine about. All this being said, I'm open to my mind being changed and would like to have an open discussion about it.
asta

Pro

I'm not saying the gap is due to sexism, Men make more because they tend to work harder in the workplace and they tend to have better paying jobs. However, The wage gap still exists, Men still make more then women it's just not motivated by supposed workplace sexism (https://www. Bls. Gov/cps/cpsaat39. Pdf). The wage gap isn't even bad. But it still exists.
andrew_482

Con

At the end of this point, I'll add a link to a really interesting video about the wage gap.

Okay, So I understand where you're coming from, But the empirical data shows that there is no wage gap at all. In fact, Time Magazine posted an article that states that in 147 out of the largest 150 cities across the United States, Women actually made 8% more annually than their male counterparts. Not only that, But women entering the only have better chances of getting hired than men (the chances are 2 to 1 according to the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences) on the sole basis that the companies want to show their diversity and prove they're "not sexist", And not relying on experience or qualifications. Again I see your point and how you got that but here are a few things that might change your mind.

Here's a really cool 5-minute video that explains a lot of other things for you as well:
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=1oqyrflOQFc
asta

Pro

What Time Magazine showed this? Can you send a link? I also believe that a. Gov site is more reliable than Time.

" Not only that, But women entering the only have better chances of getting hired than men (the chances are 2 to 1 according to the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences)". Can you send the link?

I can't access the video and I am sorry about this. Since you said it was a 5 minute video, I am guessing that it is a Prager U video. I like them but they are biased.
andrew_482

Con

andrew_482 forfeited this round.
asta

Pro

asta forfeited this round.
andrew_482

Con

andrew_482 forfeited this round.
asta

Pro

asta forfeited this round.
Posted by catdog33233 3 years ago
catdog33233
Maternity leave shouldn't be paid
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
Oh.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Maternity leave is not completely paid for, Not for everyone.
Posted by PointProven 3 years ago
PointProven
I haven't done much research on the supposed "wage gap" but I have heard a lot about it. The responses are completely varied. Many people say there is no wage gap, Some say there is but it's marginal, And other's say that the wage gap only exist in the sense that men typically work harder, Do more overtime, And are more likely to ask for a raise than women. A lot of people also believe that there is a wage gap, But the reason for it isn't because of sexism, But because women have the right to maternity leave(which is completely paid). Either way, Women getting paid less just for being women is a stupid idea and I hope feminists stop saying it because it's rather annoying.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
There is a wage gap, It has been proven in court many times. A company will pay people disproportionately regardless of qualifications or experience, It is not easy to detect, But when it becomes egregious then the company will be found guilty.
Posted by Naia 3 years ago
Naia
Intriguing.