MattySilva
TheHeretic101

Is the world flat

MattySilva

Con

The world isn't flat
Change my mind
TheHeretic101

Pro

First off this is an impossible debate as no one can change your mind but yourself, However I will try and help you.

- Can you fly from viginia to hawaii to china to india to the uk and finally back to virginia? Yes, But ok ok maybe the pilots and government is lying to you.

- Are there photos that show the Earth's curvature? Yes, But ok maybe theyre fake, Easy enough with todays tech.

- Are there film based pictures? Yes and they are much much harder to fake, But can I show you them? No as I don't want to pay that money.

- There are flights you can take that will reach altitudes where the curvature becomes faintly noticeable. But i'm sure you don't care enough to pay for that education.

So now we have passed all the common banter lets get down to buisiness:

Can you agree gravity exists? That something is always pulling things down.

Can we agree that for the sake of this argument that the sun and moon are either/or orbiting us or us them?

Say we are flat, The sun and moon orbit around us. We can say this because they rise from the edge, Reach a high point, Then fall to another edge. So its safe to say they follow a circular or elliptical path.

Now if you can agree to gravity, If gravity is always pulling, What stops the moon from crashing into us? Maybe it is because the moon is always falling. So now we can say the circular path of the moon around us is caused by our gravity pulling it around.

As with gravity the small thing falls towards the big thing. If the Earth were rectangular/flat the moon would fall faster the closer it is to its biggest points which in this case would be the edges. In that scenario the orbit of the moon would follow an incredibly ellongated elliptical orbit where:

At its highest center point, It would be incredibly small. It would then slowly begin to descend to the horizon where it would visibly grow bigger and bigger till it eventually rushes passed the horizon.

Since this is not the case, The Earth must be spherical much like its moons' orbit.

Note: for the sake of berevity and simplicity I intentionally left out the sun. Which I am happy to go into if my partner poses a counter argument that can justify the need.
MattySilva

Con

MattySilva forfeited this round.
TheHeretic101

Pro

TheHeretic101 forfeited this round.
MattySilva

Con

MattySilva forfeited this round.
TheHeretic101

Pro

TheHeretic101 forfeited this round.
MattySilva

Con

MattySilva forfeited this round.
TheHeretic101

Pro

TheHeretic101 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheHeretic101 3 years ago
TheHeretic101
Ooops i misread the sides