GiannaH101
32doni32nido32

Is there a link between boredom and depression?

GiannaH101 has forfeited round #2.

GiannaH101

Pro

Depression and boredom go hand in hand. It is human nature to solve the problems that we have in life. But now that technology and science have become so advanced, it is difficult not to be bored, which is it's own problem. And it is a problem that doesn't seem to have a long - term solution.
32doni32nido32

Con

As a person who has gone through severe depression and anxiety, I may be able to give a satisfying answer.

So, you ask if there is a link between boredom and depression, claiming that they "go hand in hand". This isn't really the case. Depression is known to make a person not want to get out of bed in the morning, dragging themselves through the day and repeating the cycle of monotonous agony. Depression isn't usually caused by specifically boredom, but rather by other sources such as family issues, mental conditions (bipolar disorder, autism, A.D.H.D.), death, financial and/or business decisions, etc. I'll start off my sections with how depression does/doesn't affect a person's boredom, and how boredom does/doesn't affect a person's depression.

This is a little bit harder for me to explain, so I'll start with it first. As a person who has mental conditions that make my brain race with interesting ideas and concepts, if I have nothing to do I start to feel awkward. The feeling is almost as if I'm in a dream-like state and nothing feels real. With no activities to put my ideas into action, my brain starts to overload giving me the feeling I just described. My thoughts become blurred and unclear, making me annoyed that I can't just grab onto one and stick with it. Here's how it feels:
You know how trains have those tainted green windows? Imagine one racing by; you can see a person's silhouette through it but can make up any details or see the lower half of their body. Not only that, but the train is going so fast you can only see the person for a split second before the windows next to it appear and disappear. This is exactly what it can be like for me; my brain coming up with too many ideas, my thoughts being replaced by other thoughts. All of these ideas have somewhat of a basic structure to them, but I can't think of specific details about it or even try to before another thought pops into my head. But what does this have to do with depression?
If I'm feeling better than usual and I'm not hit with a sudden wave of stress as soon as I wake up, I become the person that I truly am if you take away my depression and anxiety; an energetic person ready to get things done. I'm able to work on my ideas, and if I'm feeling extra good, I can focus on one idea at a time. This can easily change for me and be the complete opposite because of some mild thing that set me off. But those are details for another time. Though it's rare for me to change in the middle of the day, it's pretty common for me to wake up in the morning and feel horrible. Demotivational thoughts fill my mind, their words tempting me to go back to sleep and do nothing all day. When I give into those thoughts and just stay in bed all day instead of doing interesting activities, I don't feel bored. I simply feel unmotivated. My racing ideas start to go too fast and that causes me to become "stuck" as my family calls it. Stuck in a state of wanting to do something but also not wanting to do anything. Wanting to get out of bed but also wanting to sleep all day. Again, it's not that I'm bored; I'm depressed.

There's a stronger link of boredom making depression more severe than there is of depression making someone bored.
When someone is bored, their mind is open to ideas and thoughts. They can be open to trying or doing something more so than they would if they were busy. But, as I explained earlier, there's a difference between "bored" and "stuck". If someone's mind is more vulnerable to thoughts when they're bored, they can think of anything. Anything at all. They can remember the time their cat got stuck in a garbage can, or think of new ideas for the story they're writing. But, they can also fall into a dark hole of their past (if it was messed up in some way). They can think of the remember the time their dad got drunk and destroyed something, and they can think of what could've happened if they hadn't done something about it. What would happen to their sibling? What would happen to their mom? If the person hadn't done something about it (let's say, in this case, calling the police), would the rest of their family be willing to? What if...
Most of the time, boredom doesn't cause depression unless it's because of a horribly repetitive schedule with no variations or fun added to their to-do list. If they're simply sitting and thinking, they can go into terrible memories and think of what COULD have happened. This would make them stressed and possibly worsen their depression. Depression liked to blur the line between being bored and being "stuck", the two eventually becoming the same thing after such a long time of having the condition.

"But now that technology and science have become so advanced, it is difficult not to be bored, which is it's own problem."
This could just be me, but I get bored with technology. Maybe two hours or so maximum at one point in time, but I need about a thirty minute to one hour break (minimum) before I want to get on my computer or phone again. When I'm on screens for over two hours at one time, I become "stuck". My phone and computer kind of shut off my thoughts temporarily unless I'm composing music, writing stories, or learning new information. But if I'm playing a game, after those two hours of being on screens my racing thoughts come into my head again making me "stuck". Mindless games can temporarily halt these thoughts, but they will inevitably break through the weak barrier if not given a proper outlet that is periodically changed. With science becoming more advanced, this will not make me bored; there will always be new stuff for me to learn which makes my brain think about the information I'm reading about or listening to.
Posted by canis 4 months ago
canis
Most people live before they die.
Hmm 2 alive people.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 4 months ago
32doni32nido32
@canis
That's the question @GiannaH101 asked. If you want my answer, reread my response.
I also wouldn't say it has no meaning. I genuinely enjoy these activities which is why I do them; not only to avoid getting "stuck" but also because I find them to be interesting and/or fun.

Now, here are some new questions along with ones I already ask:
1. In what position are you to think that I have no life?
2. What have you done that makes your existence worthwhile?
3. If you can't cite the source of a quote, why should I believe it was said?
4. Do you say what you're saying out of insecurities, recognizing the incompetence that so clearly defines you?
Posted by canis 4 months ago
canis
Posted by canis 4 months ago
canis
Its about meaning..1. No meaning..why do it ?.. 2. doing nothing = no meaning = depression..
"I fill my time up with a huge variety of activites in order to avoid sinking into that place again, and it has definitely worked.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 4 months ago
32doni32nido32
Hmm. 1 person with no life experience..
Posted by 32doni32nido32 4 months ago
32doni32nido32
@canis
Not quite sure what you're trying to say here. If you're trying to say that I'm dead and worthless because I had depression, that's completely ridiculous.
But, go ahead and call me "dead" if it truly makes you feel better. I don't know how'd you be any different than what you're falsely accusing me of being, but go ahead. Whatever floats your boat.

That was about 6 years ago when I was in 5th grade. I still experience the same feeling occasionally, though not as often and not as severe. I fill my time up with a huge variety of activites in order to avoid sinking into that place again, and it has definitely worked. Though I don't consider myself a very accomplished person due to low self-esteem, many people I know say the total opposite. So, I ask you: What have you done that makes your existence worthwhile? I'll be willing to share mine if need be. And I'm sure my opponent has many as well.

When you actually experience life and feel similar feelings that I had, think of the quote you just presented both my opponent and me with. Let's see how you feel about it then.
If you're going to use a quote, at least remember who said it even it if is claimed to be anonymous. If you can't someone who said it, why should they believe you?
Posted by canis 4 months ago
canis
Hmm. 2 dead people..
Posted by canis 4 months ago
canis
I do not remember who said/wrote it..But he said something like. " Most people die before they were ever born..
Posted by canis 4 months ago
canis