scorepit
LucciDamus

Is there meaning to life?

scorepit has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

scorepit

Pro

I do in fact believe there is meaning to our very existence. I myself am a spiritualist and therefore I've come to conclude that the reason for our very existence is for us to enjoy our lives. I find it somewhat comical that the brightest minds at the very end get the very first answer they got for their question, the simple answer was the right one along. People find joy and happiness in many things in life therefore the meaning of life can change specifically for person however in the end it all traces to happiness and satisfaction during ones life. Some people find happiness in success, others in fun activities such as videogames or reading books. If that isn't the meaning of life then what other possible reason could there be? People have been seeking happiness in their own way for thousands of years. I think god wanted us to experience this joy, this happiness so that we could live our lives cheerfully. God loves us and wants us to experience all the happiness we possibly can in life, and that is what I believe is the meaning of life.
LucciDamus

Con

Hello, great question.

1st, the word "meaning."

2nd, your statement was one answer for two separate questions.

We must be clear that, "IS" there a meaning to life is a question we must answer first, only then can answer "WHAT" is the meaning of life.

I say no to first question. There is no meaning to life.

I view "meaning" as something given, as in given by one thing to another.

Example:
To water fire could mean; steam, boiling or evaporation.
On the other hand,
To wood fire could mean; burning, smoke ordryness.

The truth in these examples make it hard to deny that "meaning" is something that must be given, or experienced by one thing from another.

This essentially means that on its own, no one thing has a meaning. It is just simply existing until something else come into contact with it.

So, does life have meaning to you? That has been made obviously true and undenyable by your statement. However, Life is just the act of existing until death.

In conclusion- life itself has no meaning, unless something or someone gives it meaning first. And that "meaning" must be exclusive to the individual or thing, as each person or thing has its own perspective of what life must means.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
What is the meaning of water if you ask the water..?..The same as if you would not ask and got no answer.
Posted by felixmendelssohn 3 years ago
felixmendelssohn
i think the subjective meaning of life is what you assign it
while the objective meaning of life is your worth assigned by others around you.
Posted by felixmendelssohn 3 years ago
felixmendelssohn
I think question like these are ill-defined. Look around you, everything exists has a 'purpose' assigned by humans. like books, computers, calendars.... the purpose of something is not to be discovered, it is assigned by us human. certain things never get assigned a purpose, like a rock. when you ask the question , it sounds as though the purpose of life is something to be discovered via logical searching.
Posted by felixmendelssohn 3 years ago
felixmendelssohn
perhaps because God couldn't wait to meet a certain someone, that's why he sent....
Posted by What50 3 years ago
What50
What if the meaning of life to someone is to be a serial killer? How do you explain that?