daynereese
marquettelddebate

Islam is a Peaceful Religion

marquettelddebate has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

daynereese

Con

Islam is not a peaceful religion despite what leftist say so they will not be called "Islamophobic". They are peaceful for the following reasons: they are responsible for the terrorist attack in Cologne, Istanbul, Orlando, Nice, Ohio State University, and plenty others they believe in stoning women for infidelity, and believe in hanging homosexuals.
marquettelddebate

Pro

When you take time to read the Torah, Bible, or other religious texts, you soon see that many religions have violent and somewhat shocking texts in them. To say that a religion isn't peaceful because of a few radicals makes no rational sense. It would be like people looking at Republican politicians and saying that all Americans are against immigration. The hate that the Con debater spreads by calling an entire religion violent because of a few radicals and a few radical texts is just clearly an irrational argument. Let my provide a few examples of Islamic texts that preach peace. ""We have appointed a law and a practice for every one of you. Had God willed, He would have made you a single community, but He wanted to test you regarding what has come to you. So compete with each other in doing good. Every one of you will return to God and He will inform you regarding the things about which you differed." (Surat al-Ma"ida, 48) This text is telling everyone to compete in doing good, in doing good deeds. ""O You who believe! Enter absolutely into peace (Islam). Do not follow in the footsteps of satan. He is an outright enemy to you." (Holy Quran: 2, 208) This clearly is a quote telling Muslims to pursue peace in all things. Does this look like a violent religions' scripture to you? Absolutely not! We need to stop judging Islam based on the actions of a few and look at the religions as a whole.
daynereese

Con

There are more than a few terrorist attacks. The biggest would be September 11, 2001. I will leave a link below showing all Islamic terrorist attacks dating back to the 1980s. There was a video showing an Islamic rally where a Muslim stood at a podium surveying a group of at least one hundred Muslims whether women were less than men and should be separated. They all agreed. He then goes on to ask if women should be stoned for infidelity. They all agreed. Finally, he asks if homosexuals should be hanged. Again, they all agreed. Now, it's not that the religion itself is violent. Those were not the original intentions of Allah and his prophet Muhammad. It is the followers and leaders that are taking it into their own hands and trying to control other nations forcing Jewish, Catholic, etc. nations to become Muslim. They posed as Syrian refugees to march into England and take over England. They forced England to take down their flag saying that it offended them. They chanted to convert England to Islam. They said that were going to breed with their women and convert England to Islam. They act like animals, raiding the streets of Cologne, Germany, smashing car windows, setting businesses afire, raping women and children as young as seven years old. This is not a peaceful religion that presently believes in warfare in order to gain followers. They should not be allowed into countries seeking refuge. Now I will not start a political debate on immigration policies with you. The vast majority of Muslims will fire a gun or bomb a building so they can conquer a nation to convert them to Islam.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
marquettelddebate

Pro

First of all, I would like to point out a mistaken claim stated at the end of my opponents argument. He states that "the vast majority of Muslims will fire a gun or bomb a building so..." as I am posting the evidence against that claim, a study on radical Muslims shows that only 7% of Muslims are radical (!) http://media.gallup.com...
Do not listen to the Con's unproven arguments. The rally the Con debater mentions is another case of extreme Islam. Extreme Islam is not the same as mainstream Islam, and to get those confused is a dangerous assumption that leads to Islamophobia. Also, the fact that there have been multiple terrorist attacks does not in any way disprove my claim. 7% of Muslims are radical, and the fact that they have committed many terrorist attacks doesn't change the fact that they are still a radical minority in Muslims. To judge a whole religion based on a video or terrorist attacks is a dangerous path to follow. As I said in round 1, if you watched a video of 100 Americans who believed that men were more then women and that homosexuals should be killed, that does not make America a violent nation. The same goes for religions. Generalizing a religion based on the few is an illogical action and one that should be avoided at all costs. Due to these, I firmly stand in my stance that Islam a peaceful religion, not a violent one.
daynereese

Con

While there is proof that Islam is responsible for violence and terrorist attacks, which I have stated multiple examples, you have given no direct example of how they were peaceful, so do not listen to the Pro's unproven arguments. The most you have given were a few Quran passages. Just because the Quran has a few peaceful passages does not mean that every Muslim follows the Quran. ISIS alone has 31,000 fighters out of the 1.6 billion Muslims. That is only ISIS. That is not including every other violent Muslims that were responsible for September 11th, Cologne, England, Orlando, Istanbul, Nice, OSU, the list goes on... and on. Do not even feed me your leftist views of Islamophobia. I know people who have made claims that Islam is violent and they get messages from Muslims saying guess what? Surprise, surprise! They were going to kill him. Yes, I guess they proved me wrong that they are not violent. And I know what your next argument is going to be. "You can not judge an entire religion based on the actions of a few." These are not just a few. I am giving you hundreds of example of Islam's violent rhetoric. At least ten Muslim countries enforce the death penalty for committing apostasy. Executing people for having different beliefs than you is violent. It is not peaceful. It is the only religion that acts like Mafia if you say the wrong thing or wave the wrong flag. Not only was it the 100 or so Muslims that said they believe in hanging homosexuals, but at least ten Muslim countries enforce it. Not only was it the 100 or so Muslims that said they believe in stoning women for infidelity, but at least eleven Muslim countries enforce it. Not only adulterers , but also rape victims. Stoning rape victims for something they can not control is violent. It is not peaceful. 39% of Muslims in Afghanistan and 29% of Muslims in Egypt support terror attacks. If you ask me, that is not very peaceful at all. Of course not ALL 100% of Muslims believe in this, but they belong to a religion that does. And again, like I said earlier this round, please give me proof of peaceful acts Islam has done in the past hundred years.
marquettelddebate

Pro

Now, I would like to start off by providing some evidence for why Islam is peaceful. First of all, Islam is derived from the Arabic root word aslam, which is translated as either surrender, peace, or safety. (This surrender is to the will of Allah, not to Islamic militants). The word Islam itself means peace, so that should be clear enough evidence for the con, but if not, I will provide more. The article I am posting below was published in Time magazine, and provide multiple different kinds of unbiased proof. So even if you don't buy into the Pro's definition of Islam, all of the different reasons the pro provides in the below article should certainly be enough. http://content.time.com.... Second, when the Con states the statistics about Afghanistan and Egypt, he does not provide any evidence, just states a statistic. It should only be counted as an opinion, since no evidence at all has been provided. Prefer my cited evidence over his random statistics. I am being forced to repeat myself, unfortunately, because the Con does not seem to listen to my arguments, but once again: You cannot judge Islam based on the actions of a 7% minority. Just as you cannot judge Christianity based on the Crusaders, just as you cannot judge Judaism based on the Jewish terrorist groups, and just as you cannot judge Hinduism based on the ancient Khans of india, you cannot judge Islam based on terrorism. Most of the teachings of Mohamed, as the Time article states, were to stop the kind of radicalism from Christianity that we now see from radical Islam. The reason Islam has many radicals now is because of the current oppression of Islam by the west, especially the United States. In the 1950's, when Jews and Christians were being oppressed in Russia, Poland, and other Soviet blocs, we saw a huge increase in uprisings against their oppressors. The actions of these extremists stem from their oppression, not the religion of Islam. Many christian denominations also follow radical teachings of the bible. Such people are known as fundamentalists, people who take the Bible 100% literally. It is clear that Christianity doesn't advocate for the killing of homosexuals, but the radical fundamentalist groups of Christianity do advocate for that. My opponent talks about ten or eleven muslim countries enforcing radical laws, but there are 49-51 muslim countries in the world! Again, my opponent focuses on a minority group, but not on the religion as a whole.
daynereese

Con

You can not judge a religion based on the actions of a few? First of all, it was not a few, it was by far more than a few. Second of all, how are you judging Islam as peaceful based on a few peaceful actions of Muslims. I was not judging Christians based on the Crusades because the Crusades happened almost a thousand years ago whereas the Muslims are still committing terrorist attacks. Christians went through a Reformation, Islam did not. Just because a few Muslims have done peaceful things does not mean that the majority of Muslims are peaceful. My second agreement is that just because the word Islam means "peaceful" does not mean the majority of Muslims actually follow this. Defining the word "Islam" is not an argument. The word "Islam" was formed over a thousand years ago. That does not mean it is still relevant today. Like I already stated, the violent rhetoric conveyed by Muslims today was not the original purpose nor intent of Allah and his prophet Muhammad. Another thing is the reason Islam is suppressed in the West is because of their terrorism, not vice versa. For example, Donald Trump does not want to allow Muslims in the United States because of their radical terrorism. Ten or eleven countries legally enforce these heinous justifications, but that is not to say that the majority of other Muslims believe in it, but do not legally enforce it. I will cite ISIS again, because they are nine out of ten times responsible for terror attacks across the globe. Islam is becoming an epidemic due to the fact that they are so devoted to other countries converting to Islam. To them it is either their way or the highway. They will cause mass devastation in any country that does not completely agree with their ideology such as in Cologne and England. Their few peaceful acts do not at all excuse their hundreds of violent terrorist attacks. Look at the list. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of terror attacks dating back to the 1980s. Is that peaceful? Name me another religion that has had hundreds of terror attacks since the 1980s (that does not include the Crusades from the 11th century). There are none. They are the only one. So if my hundreds of examples of terror attacks are not proof enough, they are the MOST violent religion by comparisons. Open your eyes to the inevitable truth of Islam. They will stop at nothing to conquer the world and convert the world to Islam. I want you to answer the following question honestly: If I gave you a bowl of one hundred M&Ms and told you seven of those M&Ms were poisonous, would you just grab a handful of M&Ms trusting all of them because only 7% of them were poisonous?
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 year ago
FollowerofChrist1955
You should attend this debate:
Atheism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!
Posted by kikiki 1 year ago
kikiki
When I debate Muslims I usually don't use the Hadiths because, for example, Bukhari was born 170 years after Muhammad's death. So 210 years of oral transmition most likely has caused many to be edited or fabricated entirely. But that's only my opinion. And I don't need Hadiths since I can find enough bulls*** in the Qur'an already and since it was compiled almost emediately after Muhammad's death I believe it is a much better source. And the way they were compiled was retarded. They took a guy they didn't know was lying and they thought he is 100% correct.
Posted by ZachZimmey 1 year ago
ZachZimmey
Sahih Bukhari (52:256) - The Prophet... was asked whether it was permissible to attack the pagan warriors at night with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. The Prophet replied, "They (i.e. women and children) are from them (i.e. pagans)." In this command, Muhammad establishes that it is permissible to kill non-combatants in the process of killing a perceived enemy.

Also, the term "infidels", in case you didn't know, means everyone who isn't a Muslim, specifically those of other religions. The Quran specifically advocates terror killings.

Abu Dawud (4448) - "If a man who is not married is seized committing sodomy, he will be stoned to death."

Homosexuality is punishable by death.

Perhaps the women and children part were not found in the Quran, I found them in other religious writings.
Posted by kikiki 1 year ago
kikiki
Also "The Religion Of Peace" is very biased and does often take stuff out of context and even makes stuff up.
Posted by kikiki 1 year ago
kikiki
Well actually, the Qur'an never tlaks about killing women, children, adulterers, homos, old people etc. The Qur'an does dislike homos but it doesn't say to punish them, and it does say to leave them alone if they repent. Adultery is punishable by house arrest. Though the Qur'an has no problem with killing men of the enemy and conquest.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Yes. It seems to be a "killer-virus"...Zombies do not eat zombies...
Posted by ZachZimmey 1 year ago
ZachZimmey
Yeah the whole "peace" part means peace between other Muslims, not other religions. The Quran contains AT LEAST 109 verses promoting the killing/spread of terror among unbelievers. These include passages promoting the killing of "infidels", women, children, and even lying in ambush for those to attack. They have been attacking and killing Christians specifically for years. Seems pretty violent to me.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com...