Munday
seanhowells

Islam is a religion of peace

Munday

Con

If Islam is a religion of peace how come the majority of terrorist in the world today are Muslim and how come there are 109 verses in the Quran that encourage violence.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com...
seanhowells

Pro

Islam is indeed a peaceful religion, and both of your claims aren't representative of Muslims. Your first claim is that "A majority of terrorists are Muslim," which is a myth. In Europe, more than 98% of terrorist attacks are by non-Muslims and in America, 94%. And compared to the entire Muslim population, that is 0.00009% of Muslims. If compared to other statistics, being killed by furniture is likelier to happen. Even Americans are 9 times more likely to terrorist attacks on their own soil than a Muslim person would. The Media has done a very bad job of reporting these facts, placing much more attention on a crime perpetrated by a Muslim. And just because of that information inequality, 1.3 billion Muslims are held responsible. Half of the Nobel laureates in the 21st century have been Muslim, so by the same judgement, why aren't they all seen as peaceful or accomplished?

Responding to your second point about violence in the Quran, that is also not representative of Muslims. Violence is common upon religious texts, but that also is not representative of the religion or the believers. Quoting the religion historian Philip Jenkins, "Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible." There are, however, many instances in which peaceful thinking is promoted. Some of these include Muslims only being able to go to war in defense or if defenseless people need help, to stop war if peace is offered, and that Muslims should never be hostile towards those who have not attacked them. The Quran has also gone as as far as saying "Do not transgress, for God does not love the transgressors." Terrorist groups, like ISIS and Al-Qaeda come into violation of most, if not all of these statements, and are definitely not what Muslims stand up for.

"Saving One Life Is As If Saving Whole Of Humanity"
-Quran 5:32

https://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.independent.co.uk...
https://www.npr.org...
http://www.independent.co.uk...
Munday

Con

Your first claim is that the majority of terrorist are not Muslim and you proved this by saying "In Europe, more than 98% of terrorist attacks are by non-Muslims and in America, 94%. And compared to the entire Muslim population, that is 0.00009% of Muslims." First of all, you picked two places where the Muslim population is small. In Europe, the Muslim population is 6% and in the USA its only 1%.
at - https://www.thereligionofpeace.com...
The source I linked says "Even by the FBI"s curious standard, the sort of truly violent terrorism that most concerns Americans is extremely rare in the United States. Only 29 attacks on their list of incidents between 1980 and 2005 resulted in actual death. Of these 29 attacks, Islamic extremists were responsible for 24%, accounting for 2,981 kills (civilians only), while the non-Muslim attack body count is 196."
You also said that the bible is more violent but that is only because the Bible has way more verses then the Quran.
You showed me this verse "Do not transgress, for God does not love the transgressors." The problem with this is that the word translates to "someone who has broken a particular rule or law or has done something that is generally considered unacceptable" law = sharia law.
the problem with is verse - "Saving One Life Is As If Saving Whole Of Humanity" is that after this verse it says "The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and do mischief in the land is only that they shall be killed or crucified or their hands and their feet be cut off on the opposite sides." so your peaceful verse is followed by a hateful verse.
seanhowells

Pro

Before I move onto my argument, the only source you have been using, thereligionofpeace, is a questionable source to take evidence from, as it had not cited, both formally and informally, this "FBI Report." The two other pieces of evidence it has given are both by sources likely to show anti-Muslim bias, one even being an academically criticized hate speech site run by Robert Spencer, a "counter-jihad" listed on the Southern Poverty Law Center's Hate List.

If you connected the dots, there is a reason I talked about statistics in Europe and America. Those two places have much anti-Muslim bias due to recent events, especially President Trump's election and the Refugee Crisis. And the amount of Muslims that live in Europe? Doesn't it say something? For such a small population to come in, how much controversy has been stirred up? For the statistics showing the amount of crime in Europe, despite the burden of the immigrant crisis, it is still relatively low. Even then, of course natives of each country will still commit terror on their own soil, which I will come to when I address Sharia and Sharia Law.

And for the Bible? I said the Bible verses were significantly more violent, not had more violent quotes.

As for the quote about transgression, it does not refer to Sharia Law. In the Quran itself, Sharia Law isn't mentioned, but Sharia is. Sharia itself is a type of philosophy, a guide, an optional spiritual path. The Sharia Law, colloquially called Islamic Law, is, however, a changing set of governing laws that many Muslim states each have their own version of. Sharia Law was put into place after leaders wanted to make religious belief law. Sharia Law has many personal interpretations of many different people cemented into the Law, some putting in something new, others taking out pieces, and some just ignoring whole parts or contradicting the Quran or Sharia. Because of all the variances of time, location, culture, and history, it is hard to pinpoint whether or not the Law is a "good" thing or not. But the Law was made after the Quran. All the personal interpretations blur whether the Law agrees with the peaceful intentions of Sharia and Quran, but nevertheless, some people do continue to say Islam and the Quran "support" the Law, no matter how astray the Law might be. This is why terrorists often justify their actions by saying it was in the name of religion.

And for the other quote you've mentioned, it does say the penalty of waging war against Allah and His Messenger is death, crucifixion, or dismemberment, but you left out the part that says to do it if said person strives and goes out of their way to cause corruption and that they can also be exiled. Going back to the Bible anecdote, just because there is something questionable in either text, whether explained or unexplained, it doesn't mean the religion and believers are against peace. The Bible has some strange quotes, and so does the Quran, but that doesn't they don't want peace.

Sources in comments
Munday

Con

You said that you have chosen Europe and the USA because of President Trump's election and the Refugee Crisis. You made a very weak claim by saying despite anti-Islamic controversy there has been no increase in Islamic terror attacks.These two places are definitely not anti-Muslim.

You can't justify the Qurans hatefull verses such as Quran 9:5 https://quran.com... because "there are hateful verses in the bible" and we are talking about islam, not Christianity. Also if you are cherry picking verses of the quran than you can't say that Islam is peaceful based on the cherrypicked verses you have given me when I have just given you a contradiction.

I also want you to justify the prophet Muhammad of him marrying a 6-year-old and raping her when she was 9 in the Bukhari hadith volume 5 book 58 234 to 235 he should also beat her as well. The prophet set fire to a man's chest and has also owned sex slaves. You can't justify that
https://www.sahih-bukhari.com...
https://www.muslimhope.com...
There's also a good video explaining the Muhammad
seanhowells

Pro

For what I assumed anybody could read in between the lines of what I said, I'll need to explain it now as you are not understanding any of my points. For the Europe and America example, you've contradicted yourself. First saying there is anti-Islamic controversy, and then saying there is anything but. Many of your claims throughout the debate are just opinion based. Stop assuming how billions of people live and believe and what they think of others from what just you think. This isn't a debate to voice your opinions, this is a debate to discuss said topic. Here is something that shows there is anti-Muslim bias.
https://www.splcenter.org...
http://ec.europa.eu...
Please stop denying culturally and statistically accepted facts.

Also, can you not understand what I am saying? Are you able to understand the topic I'm trying to get across without immediately denying what I'm saying and poorly backing it up? You've did this for the Europe and America anti-Muslim bias, which is an established fact, yet you deny it. The reason I bought up Christianity is because it too has violent assertions in its texts and I'm sure Jesus did some pretty crazy things in there. Even God is off telling things we now think are implausible. But that doesn't mean Christianity or Christians are unable to find peace. I hate sending this link. It isn't representative of what Christians believe and fundementally are. It will show that Christianity too has faults, but doesn't render them incapable of making peace.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Does that link mean Christians are bad? No. And it is truly disappointing that I have to break the fourth wall in this debate to address what you think. I'm comparing Christianity and Islam together because they are both the world's two biggest, both Abrahamic religions, that both believe in different things, but both want peace for all their believers. If I am "cherry-picking" the best out of the Quran, what is wrong with that? Shouldn't people "cherry-pick" the good moral aspects they want to believe in life? Just explain. Why are Muslims incapable of being compassionate and peaceful people. Just a couple lines in a book written centuries ago (and still having many peace promoting statements) doesn't justify your argument about Muslims. This debate isn't like any other. It has such a factor of ethics placed in it, it's difficult to discuss, and so is the conclusion. But I can confidently say, you are neither an open-minded nor understanding person.
Posted by seanhowells 9 months ago
seanhowells
What have you not said? You have created a debate defending your decision on Islam being incapable of peace. You have continued to berate the religion, and by association, the hundreds of millions of follower, innocent or not, too. I very much think you are just politically against Muslims, and this is some reason to voice this out. If not, why did you make this debate? You didn't gain a new perspective, and are still continuing to make the same, failing points..
Posted by Munday 9 months ago
Munday
what have I said that's xenophobic
Posted by seanhowells 9 months ago
seanhowells
What a "fire claim." Doesn't that just get by not reading what I said. Not only are you a xenophobe, but somebody who has a low understanding of debate. You have to resort to putting your thoughts in the comment section because you are still hung up over voicing your own views.
Posted by seanhowells 9 months ago
seanhowells
I did respond to it. I said it wasn't justifiable. God in the Bible did some questionable things, but it doesn't mean the religion is bad. Same thing for Islam. Why aren't you reading what I said? I addressed everything. Please read everything before making low-effort responses.
Posted by Munday 9 months ago
Munday
shame u did not respond to my prophet Muhammad argument.
how come?
Posted by Munday 9 months ago
Munday
"When he asked him about the rest he refused to produce it, so the apostle gave orders to al-Zubayr Al-Awwam, Torture him until you extract what he has. So he kindled a fire with flint and steel on his chest until he was nearly dead. Then the apostle delivered him to Muhammad b. Maslama and he struck off his head, in revenge for his brother Mahmud."

this is evidence for the fire claim

https://archive.org...
Posted by Munday 9 months ago
Munday
grammar mistake lol
"he should also beat her as well"
I meant
he also beat her as well*
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
mr backwards
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
islam=forced terrorism
Posted by backwardseden 9 months ago
backwardseden
@seanhowells - Yeah that's it. People who think that the problems of mainstream terrorism and basic fundamentalism terrorism from the belief that it is Muslim, well they just do not do their homework and are probably looking for someone to blame. And the worst president of all time, Donald T Trump who has about 20 things in common with the god of the bible, as he's all about winning more than anything else with a super stash of supreme idealistic ego splashed on top of his hairdo to make himself look like a ragweed, does not know any better and is clearly looking for someone to blame to make HIMSELF feel better so he can better chew on a penny.