COCOApanda
homoudmahadin

Islam is a religion of peace

homoudmahadin has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

COCOApanda

Pro

I want to know why on earth so many people think Islam is a violent and bad religion. Being a Muslim myself, I also want to correct the misconceptions and the terroist stereotypes people have associated with Islam.
homoudmahadin

Con

greetings!! I am an ex-Muslim atheist living in an Arab Muslim majority country and have read the Quran in Arabic the original language of the Quran, after numerous studies, I concluded that Islam preaches violence in numerous verses in the Quran. now yes there are different interpretations for the Quran this is why the interpretations that I will be providing are ones that are in the "Madhab" which are a collection of 4 books ( Hanbali, Hanafi, Shafie, Malaky) which are regarded in the Muslim community as authentic sources or interpretations for the Quran. I will also be mentioning "Hadith" which is also considered the second source after the Quran but only "hadith saheh" which is the most authentic grand of a hadith, in other words, its the exact same words that are said by the Prophet Mohammad. I will also be mentioning the "sera" which is a book that tells the story of Mohammad since the Islamic faith was presented to him, the "sera" is the third most authentic source about Islam after the Quran and the "hadith". throughout the debate, I will be arguing that the Quran mentions unethical commands that can be considered violent, and at times calls for violence, this will be further expanded and explained when referenced to the Hadith and the Sera. the English translations that I will be using are the ones used by "Ibin Kather" a liberal Islamic scholar that is regarded the most authentic English translated Quran out there. if there are certain or any source that you find does not satisfy your understanding of the Islamic Faith I would be happy to remove or not mention any of them if you so kindly mention it in the next round of debate.
general argument:
Islam is not a religion of peace due to commands found in the Quran and other authentic Islamic sources.

good luck and my the best man/woman win!!!!
COCOApanda

Pro

Alright, Let's begin.

I do not believe Islam is a violent religion, and Islamic extremists are wrong and stupid for forcing people to do extreme things by violence. Allah says in the Quraan, in Surah Baqara: "Nobody can be forced into religion." Therefore non-Muslims cannot be forced into Islam and nobody can be forced to wear hijab for example.

There is a verse in the Quran saying something like "When you meet the disbelievers" Then an instruction of how to kill them by cutting off their heads? Many Islamaphobic people use this verse as an excuse to make Islam look violent. But they are wrong. Allah is telling the Muslims what to do when they meet the disbelievers in BATTLE. Allah was giving instructions to the Muslims at that time because the disbelievers then were severely oppressing all the Muslims in Makkah. Allah is not referring to all the non-Muslims in the world, Allah was telling the Muslims at that time what do. Not us now. This is the case for some other verses in the Quran too.

Also, beheading is a less painful way to die.

http://listverse.com...
-Beheading, if somewhat gruesome, can be one of the quickest and least painful ways to die. So long as the executioner is skilled, his blade sharp, and the condemned sits still.The height of decapitation technology is, of course, the guillotine. Officially adopted by the French government in 1792, it was seen as more humane than other methods of execution.

So why do you think Islam is violent?
homoudmahadin

Con

just a small request in the future of this debate, when you reference anything from the Quran can you please provide the appropriate verse number as so I can argue properly. back to the question of Islam and its violent tendencies.
while yes the Quran preaches peace in many verses in the Quran, but that's what makes it even more doubtful!!! that many verses in the Quran contradict one another. while one verse it preaches something and then the other something completely different. something very simple is when it comes to women rights.
I am going to ask a few rhetorical questions that I would expect you to answer in such fashion.

Who's words are in the Quran?
"Allah"
(if it is not or you disagree, then why do we talk the words of a man as doctrine?)

is the Quran suited to every place and time?
"Yes, it is one of the many miracles of the Quran."
(if the Quran is not suited for every time and place then the Quran should not be a reference to anything in the modern day and by saying no, you are denying one of the miracles of the Quran, and even if it was true then the Quran wouldn't be relevant today)

has the Quran changes over the centuries?
"No, Allah has preserved it and the words of the Quran during Mhummads time are exactly the same"
(if it did, then anything in the Quran should be taken with a grain of salt and can not also be used as a reference)

is Allah fair?
"YES, one of the names of Allah is "Al-Adel" which in Arabic means the one who treats everyone fairly"

can Allah be wrong?
"No, as it defeats the mere purpose of a god"

I had to get these assumptions out of the way if you disagree with any of the answers I assumed you would answer please if you may kindly correct me and I apologize for the wrong assumptions. but In is Islam at least in the Quran these answers are perceived to be correct.
there are verses in the Quran that directly prove or show male superiority over the female, also even suggesting that the male when certain conditions are met has the right to beat her!!! the verse is 4:34 from Surah An-NIsa verse number 34 which states:-
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.
source:-https://quran.com...

this verse firstly states how males are in charge of women as Allah suggests that males are the one who is supposed to take care of the female. because of such responsibility women are expected to be "obedient". however, if a woman attempts to disagree or is arrogant towards the husband, the husband first has to advise them, if they still disobey, then "forsake them in bed" which means not to sleep with them, if she continues to disobey, then the Husband has the right and I quote to "strike" her, in other words, has the right to physically violate her with force, were the woman is a supposed adult who apparently needs the use of force to get the point across. As a woman yourself I want to ask you, is it justified to hit a female or anyone for that matter? if both of your parents are alive and I hope they are, and one day hypothetically you see your father hitting your mom, is it ok? is it justified for your dad to hit your mom just because she disobeyed him?, I heard the argument what follows after I recite this verse, "CONTEXT" well god brought down this verse after a Muslim asked Muhammad how to deal with problems in a Marrige. " but times were deiffrent back then" while yes but this verse is written in the formate of a commad, meaning it should be obeyed, and if you this is not supposed to be followed then the Quran is not fit for every day and age and place, if you say its wrong, then Allah is wrong, you see now why I made those set assumptions? what is interesting with the Quran if you find only one mistake, then the whole thing is wrong as it loses it merits, as Allah doesn't make mistakes, because if he does he is no longer a god, furthermore a mistake indicates that it is written by man which means the religion has no merit. this is one example of violence from many in the Quran. here are another view examples that I won't be going to the same lengths as before:-

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not."
Not only does this verse establish that violence can be virtuous, but it also contradicts the myth that fighting is intended only in self-defense since the audience was obviously not under attack at the time. From the Hadith, we know that this verse was narrated at a time that Muhammad was actually trying to motivate his people into

Quran (4:104) - "And be not weak hearted in pursuit of the enemy; if you suffer pain, then surely they (too) suffer pain as you suffer pain..."
Is pursuing an injured and retreating enemy really an act of self-defense?

Quran (9:123) - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."
calling for the believers to attack or go fight not defend, this is also said in the format of a command meaning it is relevant until today, even if this was only made for Muhammad and his people, he suggests for them to fight not defend, FIGHT.

like I said before 1 flaw in the Quran simply makes it all wrong, as its the words of Allah and Allah does not make mistakes. all interpretations that were stated are the ones of the "Madhab" in other words the most authentic sources for Quranic interpretation.

if you want to disprove me, then you must prove how each one of these verses does not condone violence, leaving one out would only prove that Islam is not a peaceful religion and if you can not then there is simply no merit to the Quran which means that Allah is not real.

looking forward to the next round
COCOApanda

Pro

Sorry for the late response, I've been rather busy at school. But anyway, let's get on.

'(if the Quran is not suited for every time and place then the Quran should not be a reference to anything in the modern day and by saying no, you are denying one of the miracles of the Quran, and even if it was true then the Quran wouldn't be relevant today)'
Firstly, let me give you an example. Image someone sent a letter to someone who was going to be fighting a battle against Non-Muslim oppressors who were killing people, containing something like this: 'Fight the unbelievers that are near to you.' Obviously, Muslims are not supposed to fight all the disbelievers they see. They have to look at when Allah said that and why to get the full meaning. It is suited to this time only If we end up in the same situation as those people Allah was talking to. I don't think you understood what I said before.

Secondly, I don't see a problem with a wife being obedient to her husband. Do you? It makes peace in the house.
Husbands cannot strike their wives because of mere 'disobedience' and 'disagreeing'. Those words are not mentioned in this verse. As a person who likes to study the human mind, I have come across an emotion called 'anger.' Many husbands would beat their wives if she did something very, very bad. It's not compulsory. This verse is giving limits to the man, to advise and give his wife warnings first. If hitting your wife altogether was banned, people would disobey Allah if they got very angry with their wives. Anger is natural. Scholars have also analysed this verse, and have figured out that the word 'Strike' in this verse, has limits. It is not allowed to leave a mark, be on the face or be a hard, painful blow.

'Not only does this verse establish that violence can be virtuous, but it also contradicts the myth that fighting is intended only in self-defence since the audience was obviously not under attack at the time.'
The audience obviously WAS under attack at that time. Those disbelievers, (The Quraish) were killing people who converted to Islam. You can tell from the way the verse is written in that they were being oppressed.

'if you want to disprove me, then you must prove how each one of these verses does not condone violence, leaving one out would only prove that Islam is not a peaceful religion and if you can not then there is simply no merit to the Quran which means that Allah is not real.'
In the Quran, Allah only tells Muslims to use violence when they are being treated unfairly, killed or oppressed by other people. It is not violence for no reason, everyone uses violence when they need to. That's fine. In this debate, I'm talking about unnecessary violence. It has nothing to do with Allah not being real either.
Posted by COCOApanda 3 years ago
COCOApanda
Wow. Thanks a lot for forfeiting.
Posted by Debating.starfish 3 years ago
Debating.starfish
I don't see anyone laughing you jerk.
Posted by Aileen3310 3 years ago
Aileen3310
@20cwells that's not even funny.
Posted by 20cwells 3 years ago
20cwells
obviously Islam is peaceful guys, their beheading technique for non believers is so painless
Posted by COCOApanda 3 years ago
COCOApanda
e.g
In surah 74, (Al- Muddathir) The first verse of this surah says:
"Oh you who covers himself. (with a garment)"
Allah is TALKING to the prophet Muhammad because he covered himself in blankets out of fear when he first saw angle Gabrial. We are not all going to cover ourselves with blankets because Allah said this in the Quran!
Posted by abdulrock20 3 years ago
abdulrock20
jelly good butter chicken pls!
Posted by shrey8008 3 years ago
shrey8008
there is nothing wrong in Islam except that because most rumors are from terrorist groups are becoming changed into accusation to islam and then many people believe and start to spread that its "their fault"