Naeempakistani
dukeofpanda

Islam is the religion of Peace

Naeempakistani has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Judge Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Naeempakistani

Pro

Islam is a religion of Peace. Please accept this debate if you have some knowledge of Islam. I don't want arrogant people debating this topic.
dukeofpanda

Con

I want to start by saying that I may not be as versed in Islam as you, or as much as you'd like, but I will do my best to avoid being arrogant during this debate.

Islam is not the religion of peace because...

1)

and

2)

But seeing as you are the instigator of this debate it makes sense to me that you should present the first argument, unless I am mistaken, in which case I apologize for wasting the first round.

As a courtesy, due to my uncertainty, I shall yield the floor and allow you to begin.

The one thing I would appreciate is if you could clarify one thing. Do you mean "Islam is THE religion of peace" as in it the singular religion of peace and there are no others OR "Islam is A religion of peace" as in it is peaceful like some others?

And I should let you know I intend to only present two main arguments. If you wish, I can make both of them during round two to allow you to counter both of them.
Naeempakistani

Pro

First of all let me clarify the topic. Most people think that Islam promotes terrorism, They try to present different verses of Quran to show that Islam promotes injustice and harm.
This debate, as you mentioned, is about Islam is peaceful like others.

It is mentioned in the Quran through many verses that even during the war,
1. Women, children and civilians, who do not harm you, should not be killed.
2. Don't disrespect other religions or other Gods.
3. Don't hurt others feelings.
4. Don't kill innocent people.
5. Don't force people to accept Islam.
6. Don't disrespect a Mosque. Church or any other religious places.
7. Always remain calm and don't express your anger.

Well, I wanted you to pose some strong arguments so that I could reply.
Debate as you like. I will not restrict you. To judge your intelligence and debating skills I think the above points are enough before going to solid proofs.
Let me see your reply first about above arguments and try to convince me that Islam promotes hate, terrorism, injustice or any other definition of any unpeaceful things.
dukeofpanda

Con

In regard to the many verses in the Quran you mention and correlate to peace I would also recognize that other religions, especially Christianity, have similar teachings, but all of it is irrelevant. This is because the very divisive nature of Islam, and every religion, supersedes any claims of the followers regarding peace. The difference in religious opinion is enough to instill a degree of separatism due to the development of hate, contempt, disdain, superiority, or even entitlement in the followers. Any of these feelings is enough to disrupt the harmony of humanity. Doctrine might support small actions of peace but the divide caused by its very existence disrupts overall peace. Doctrine and claims can say what they want but at the end of the day religion has only pushed people to form separate groups; each drawing lines in the sand against each other. As soon as you start slapping labels on people to change their identities and separate them you disrupt the peace. Now I'd like to present my arguments.

1) Islam especially can't be a religion of peace due to it's ties to Christianity. Islam is a religion that respects the role of Jesus as a prophet and as such must give some degree of credence to his message recorded in the Holy book of the Bible.
In Matthew 10:34 Jesus stated that he did not come to bring peace to the world, but a sword. Jesus recognized that the nature of his message would divide the world and upset family members against each other. This would go further in the book of Revelation when Jesus is depicted as a King conquering his enemies as his Kingdom/Government goes to war against the rest of the world at the battle of Armageddon. You see, the conclusion of Christianity in regard to the rest of the world is that of war not peace. Islam is not much different. There is no peace now nor in the future. Families will be set against each other; those who accept the faith and those who don't will have no peace all the way up until the end. Consider how people might feel if you tell them that there will be peace when God destroys everything they know and love because their entire way of life is debased and immoral. It doesn't go over well. Just knowing that an entire group of people feel that way is enough to be unsettling and deprive a measure people of peace. On a global scale all religions do this to an extent. Islam is not a religion of peace; its a sword that divides.

2) Islam lacks harmony. Peace can be defined as harmonious. I'd like to point out that even within itself Islam is in discord. One only has to look at the disagreement between Sunnis and Shiites. These two groups often hate and kill each other. That is not peaceful. Don't get me wrong I would say the same thing about Christianity. Just look at the Troubles in Ireland.

Furthermore, I'd like to discuss the idea of Islam being the fulfillment of Christianity. I've talked with Muslims and listened to try to explain how Christianity supplanted Judaism and how Islam likewise supplanted Christianity. But I have found this idea to be untrue. The teachings I have heard in Islam do not harmonize with some basic Bible truths. Even the understanding of Jesus differs greatly. The concept of sin is one example. The Bible explains that sin causes death and because we inherited sin from Adam and Eve we all die today. Thus the need for Jesus to die for our sins. Islam contradicts this and says that sin was forgiven because God knew Muhammad would exist one day. That's a conflict of core beliefs. There is no harmony between these religions; there is no peace.

To summarize Islam can't be a religion of peace because no religion that concludes with the eventual judgment and destruction of the faithless world can be considered peaceful. Jesus, who is recognized in Islam, even knew this. By dividing mankind into separatist groups all religions upset peace. No matter how you want to explain it with doctrinal intentions the result will be contention with the possibility of war. Lastly Islam does not have peace within itself and doesn't harmonize with Christianity due to fundamental discontinuity. Islam is not a religion of peace. But neither is Judaism or Christianity, if that's any consolation.