beetleheal
JaredFogle

It's never ok to say the n word, even on debates

beetleheal has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

beetleheal

Pro

Hi, new member here. Wanted to start a debate around the n word. Note: I am white!

I believe that, if we are not black, we should never use the n word, even when debating. I believe that even if we believe we aren't using it in a derogatory way, it can contribute to the normalization of its use. Even if we are referring to it while discussing how it shouldn't be used and standing by the view that it does continue the oppression cycle.
I believe even then, when we stand totally respectful to that culture and recognize the differences and oppression in society, by using it (even in those situations) we are using our privilege and thus adding to the oppression. I believe we are forgetting that, no matter how educated we are, we will never "not be racist" as we stand in a place of privilege in society no awareness can erase.

This came up because of a conversation I had with some friends haha, would love to hear some thoughts on this. Also excuse my english! Not fluent haha
JaredFogle

Con

my friend let me use it