ashtonrosenzweig
philosophicalnutcase

Liberals have become too extreme in their form of protest

ashtonrosenzweig has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

ashtonrosenzweig

Pro

Maxine Waters, a Congresswoman from Los Angeles, encouraged her supporters to confront Trump staffers and to tell them that they are not welcome in public society. Protesters harassed Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen at her home and in a restaurant. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was forced out of a restaurant in Lexington, Virginia. Many Trump supporters were harassed during the election, some injured badly. A Bernie Sanders supporter shot four people during a Republican Congressional Baseball Practice including Congressman Steve Scalise (who was unable to serve on the House floor for 3 1/2 months; came back on crutches), a Capitol Police Officer, a Congressional Aide, and a lobbyist. Two other people were injured in the incident but not due to gunfire.
philosophicalnutcase

Con

Most of the examples stated were select occurrences perpetrated by radicals, in fact most cases have been thoroughly condemned by leading liberal voices. Sen. Sanders was livid and saddened by the tragedy, saying: "I am sickened by this despicable act. Let me be as clear as I can be: Violence of any kind is unacceptable in our society." The restaurant escorting Secretary Huckabee-Sanders out was a private business exercising their rights as a private business, and it was an outlier. The incidents cited mirror incidents perpetrated by radicals on the right; the charlottesville riots and car crash, hate crimes soaring after Trump presidency (WaPo) and numerous Trump supporters starting fights during rallies everywhere from San Jose to Huntington beach.

Sen. Waters only suggested her supporters speak with Trump officials, never incited violence. Donald Trump HAS many times incited violence at rallies (Snopes), saying things like,

"Maybe he should have been roughed up" (in reference to a man who was beat up my Trump supporters)

"Part of the problem is no one wants to hurt each other anymore"

"I don"t know if I"ll do the fighting myself or if other people will"

"The audience hit back. That"s what we need a little bit more of"

"If you do (hurt him), I"ll defend you in court, don"t worry about it"

"Knock the crap out of him, would you? I promise you, I will pay your legal fees"

There's more, but I'm sure you get the point- it's impossible to make the sweeping generalization that liberals are getting out of hand, citing outliers and individuals while the most influential person in the right wing has been actively encouraging violence since day one. You could list an incident where liberals went way too far (the baseball practice shooting) I could hit back with a time conservatives did (the Annapolis shooting) it doesn't change the fact that there are bad people on all sides- but one side has their president literally ordering his supporters to hurt people.
Posted by RMTheSupreme 3 years ago
RMTheSupreme
I wonder how the "Bernie supporter" got their gun.