Amphia
Smooosh

Lord of the Flies sucks

Smooosh has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Amphia

Pro

Lord of the Flies is an awful book. I hate it.

1. They raped a pig with a spear
2. I can only imagine what would have happened if there had been girls...
3. They traumatized Percival...he didn't even remember his OWN NAME!!
4. Those "posh" British boys infuriated me. They didn't become animals, they already WERE animals.
5. Piggy's head exploded on a rock.
5. Simon!!! No!!!
6. Jack deserved to die. Not Piggy, not Simon.
Smooosh

Con

Lord of the flies did NOT suck. It was a profound, multifaceted statment about society. The author purposely uses exaggeration to define the very additudes that lead to war. We as the reader, watch as this group of civilised boys descend into tribal, warmongering, madness. In the end, it's only when the marine in full uniform arrives that we remember they're just little kids. The first thing the reader thinks is that they were acting too much like unfriendly adults may act, but then just as quickly another unnerving thought enters the readers mind. Are the little boys acting too much like adults, or are we as a society acting too much like spoiled little brats? It is a profound statement about society, therfore it does NOT suck.

I would like to thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate.
Amphia

Pro

Okay, I do not think that is the true meaning behind the book but that's a different debate...

Lord of the Flies was literally one of the most disturbing books I have ever read. And I've read a lot of disturbing books.

In the beginning scene, we see a lot of spoiled brats who get stranded on an island. At first, you feel sorry for these poor kids. But right off the bat they act like jerks. This is before they "descend" into madness (though I would argue they were already mad). They bully Piggy for his weight and glasses, they tease the kids, they're outright evil. And what the heck is up with Jack?! And then they make weapons and try to kill each other in some makeshift war. Kids don't do that! What?!

Afterwards, they jump around a fire and sing (trust me, I know) and then Simon falls and they kill him! What the heck? But it gets better because before that, Simon hallucinated that a pig head was talking to him.

Also the whole "the beast" thing irritated me. Basically the idea was that the real beast the kids were afraid of was themselves which I thought was lame. The author tried WAY too hard with that one.

You can't even feel sorry for them at this point. The only people I actually cared about were Piggy, Simon, and Percival. They all died in a sense. Percival died in a more figurative way.

It's hard to put how I feel about the book in words but essentially I despise it because it's so...unrelatable for lack of better word. I feel like the author tried so hard to make a point that it just didn't work out in the end. It was ridiculously extreme and yeah, maybe they were supposed to represent different aspects of society but it was still so....awful. After I read the book I was deeply perturbed.

I still can't get over the fact that they raped a pig. With a freaking (excuse my French) spear.
Smooosh

Con

I extend my first round argument.
Amphia

Pro

I also extend my first/second round arguments.

:)
Posted by Smooosh 3 years ago
Smooosh
Sorry, I only had 13 minutes to post an argument. That's the best I could come up with.
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
@Amphia

Fair, I haven't read it.
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
It made me feel like throwing up.
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
The book made you feel something, so it cannot be that bad.
Posted by ViceRegent 3 years ago
ViceRegent
Lord of the Flies is a story about when atheists take over.
Posted by Smooosh 3 years ago
Smooosh
Wow, you gave the debate a glossy new title and everything!