gossip_guy
neonoctopus

Luxury goods harmful to society and/or individuals

gossip_guy

Pro

Luxury goods are harmful to society and individuals because they lead to the creation of strict social classes. Division of social classes can cause the manifestation of jealousy in society since those who cannot afford these exclusive luxury goods can end up obsessing over them, And this can lead to a loss of self esteem. Many even put themselves in distressing situations because of the appeal and exclusivity of these goods that is created by both sellers and owners. Luxury goods shift the values of a society and can make one materialistic.
neonoctopus

Con

Luxury goods aren't harmful to society but may be harmful to specific individuals. I think most people define luxuries as things that are expensive. What is the difference between a Lamborghini and a Ford F150? Is it the speed or the sleek smooth design maybe, But the first thing that comes to my mind and many others is the price. But if you think about it they do the same job whether it is getting you to school or driving you to work. Same thing with a Rolex. Bottom line is it is just a watch. Also, The uses of luxuries are beneficial to society by reducing the monotony of it so everyone doesn't have the same thing.
gossip_guy

Pro

gossip_guy forfeited this round.
neonoctopus

Con

Am i going to win?
gossip_guy

Pro

gossip_guy forfeited this round.
neonoctopus

Con

Or to rephrase this debate. . . . I, The Initiator of this debate know what"s better for other individuals than themselves, And I want to restrict their freedom, So I can appear virtuous.
Ha ha ha vote me
Posted by Surgeon 3 years ago
Surgeon
Posted by HayekOnDrugs 3 years ago
HayekOnDrugs
I'm actually quite intrigued by your position. Do you not think the problem is a bit more fundamental than the mere existence of luxury goods?