Mike_Maine
squeakly54n6

Maine is The Best State

squeakly54n6

Mike_Maine

Pro

Maine is the best state. We have lobstah', Meese, Whoopie pies, Blueberries, And Pine Trees. We're set for life.
squeakly54n6

Con

Before I begin my argument I would like to clarify 2 things,

1. For the sake of remaining unbias, I will NOT be using California in my arguments as I've grown up in California all of my life and it would be rather unfair for a comparison.

2. I do not think Maine is a bad state, Far from it. I simply disagree with this whole notion that it's the BEST STATE.

With all of that said I'll begin my arguments.

- For both of my arguments ill be comparing Maine to 2 better states, The first one being Colorado.

1. Colorado has a 48 % college educated rate while Maine only has a 40 % rate.

2. Colorado's median salary is around 32, 000 while Maines is only 26, 000 per person.

3. Colorado's GDP is 322 Billion while Maine's is only 60 Billion.

4. Colorado has a higher population growth rate, Lower job growth rate, And less investment per capita.

Next, I'll be comparing yet ANOTHER state which is better than Maine being Washington State.

1. Washingtons median income is 32, 000 while Maines is only 26, 000

2. Washington is 45 % college educated while Maine is only 40 % college educated

3. Washington's GDP is nearly 480 Billion while Maine's is only a measly 60 Billion.

4. Washington has a lower obesity rate and higher percentages of adults with health care insurance.

5. Washington has lower commute times, More energy from renewable sources, And their roads are in better condition.

To conclude, While Maine isn't the WORST state in America cough cough Alabama, Is definitely isn't the worst state as it lacks a healthy population, Education, And infrastructure, At least compared to much better states like Colorado or Washington.

SOURCES,
h ttp s:/ /w ww. U snews. C om /ne ws/b est-st ates/ maine. . .
http s:// ww w. Usnews. Com/ne ws/best-s tates/colo rado. . .
ht tps://w ww. U snew s. Com /news/b e st-states/washington. . .
Mike_Maine

Pro

To keep things fair, I will also compare Maine to Washington and Colorado.

Washington & Colorado vs. Maine:
1. Maine is much safer. It is the second safest state (after Vermont), Whereas Washington is the tenth safest state and Colorado is not in the top ten, Based on an article by 'securitysales. Com'. If you aren't safe in a state, What is the point in living there?

2. On top of that, There are also several facts that just make Maine a cool place. After all, This argument is not about the best place to live, It is about the best state in general.

-Maine is the most eastern contiguous state (after Alaska if you count all of the states)
-Maine is home to North America's most photographed lighthouse, Portland Headlight
-Maine is the U. S. 's top supplier of toothpicks, Blueberries and lobster, Producing about 95% of America's toothpicks (at one point), 99% of the U. S. 's blueberries, And 90% of American lobster
-Stephen King is from Maine
-The Bush family has a summer home in Maine. (R. I. P. )
-Maine is the only state whose name is only one syllable
-Donut holes were invented in Maine
-Maine is the second coldest state in Spring (some love this fact, Most hate it)

https://www. 50states. Com/facts/maine. Htm
https://www. Securitysales. Com/fire-intrusion/2018-safest-most-dangerous-states-us/
squeakly54n6

Con

" If you aren't safe in a state, What is the point in living there? "

- Just because one safe is safer, Doesn't make it automatically better, By that logic living in a cabin in the middle of the woods in Alabama is the best place to live since it's safer. Besides Washington is in the top 10 so it's not like it's DANGEROUS.

" -Maine is home to North America's most photographed lighthouse, Portland Headlight"

- Yeah, And Flordia has Disneyworld, Colorado has the grand canyon, And New York has the statue of liberty? What's your point? There are plenty of other states that have way better landmarks than Maine? This isn't even including California either.

"-Stephen King is from Maine
-The Bush family has a summer home in Maine. (R. I. P. )"

- Yeah and Elvis is from Mississippi, Lady Gaga and Michael Jordan were born in New York, And Ariana Grande was born in Flordia. You're acting like Maine is the ONLY place where Celebrities are born when that's simply not true.

" Maine is the only state whose name is only one syllable"

- Ok, This is absurd who cares if the state only has one syllable? How does that make the state any better?
Mike_Maine

Pro

Maine starts with the letter M
squeakly54n6

Con

Ok I win Pro's argument is baseless and absurd
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
-a unbiased debate Con wins I'd say. In a biased debate, Pro might win if people from Maine were voting. Eh, Both sides used sources, Had decent enough spelling and grammar, Good enough conduct to my eyes.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
Oregon is best state. Especially under Tom McCall "Come visit, Don't stay". Meant somewhat jokingly and by my subjective 'best state. I do like it because it's where I'm from, Also like the trees, And how people 'think it's still big on environmental laws.
Posted by squeakly54n6 3 years ago
squeakly54n6
@Dr. Franklin

Never said it was, I just stated it would be more deserving of the title than Maine. I mean Colorado is a very good state though, In fact after I graduate from college, I'm going to move there to pursue my law school degree and afterward, I'll probably settle down there. California is nice and all but it's just so damn expensive.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Colorado is not the best state, In my opinion
Vote Placed by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
Mike_Mainesqueakly54n6Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I think Pro gives some pretty good reasons for Maine being the best state. Starts with an M, most eastern state, something about safety. Con gives a number of statistics that can be argued why 2 other states 'could be considered better. Oooh, Maine also has Stephen King and Doughnut Holes. Of course Con mentions other famous people from other states. I'd say debate wise Con makes a better argument as he is able to give as many subjective reasons why other states might be just as good, if not better. So in an unbiased view Con wins convincing. In a biased view of my own opinion Con wins without saying anything because I prefer Oregon. Do like Maine though. I like how it would be the farthest a person could travel without leaving America, away from Oregon, just for the fun of it. The one syllable reason isn't bad really, it can easily be a subjective reason to think the state better. The problem being subjective, and Con gave many subjective reasons for other states as well. So again in-
Vote Placed by bzdogs 3 years ago
bzdogs
Mike_Mainesqueakly54n6Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave up in the last argument.