shadowpuppy
2019browntyler

Marching band is a sport.

Started: 4/4/2018 Category: Sports

shadowpuppy

Pro

I think marching band is a sport because it is a physical activity and by the dictionary, a sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature" and that is exactly what it is. What do you guys think
2019browntyler

Con

I, an active member in my marching band, also a person who has completed a season of drum corps with the Columbians Drum and Bugle Corps, (and preparing for another one this summer) am willing to take con. I think that there is a fine line between sports an fine arts, marching band included. Sure, it may require physical exertion, but all the judging and results at competitions are subjective. If you switch around the judges at a competition, the results will be very different than before. Sports are meant for athletes to show their athletic ability and teamwork, the marching arts are meant for musicians to show their musicianship and coordination.
shadowpuppy

Pro

I, as an active member of a high school marching band for safety reasons will not say which can easily argue yes there is a line between fine arts and sports, marching band is on that line we show our athletic ability with all the shows and movements that we do requires physical exertion carrying a maybe 20 pound instrument marching about 12 miles on the field that is a very good way of calling something a sport. this is also a sport because it is a competitive thing most things that are competitive are sports. For example, if mathletes is a sport which uses no physical exertion at all and all they do is just sit and think and press a button I see no reason to why marching band is not a sport.
2019browntyler

Con

Alright, let's reiterate what the definition of a "sport" is. According to the Oxford Dictionary-
Sport (n)
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual team competes against other or others for entertainment.
First of all, we really have to interpret what this means. Does the physical exertion have to occur during the time of the adjudication? If that's true, then our debate here is over. If you can't march an 8 minute show without inflicting notable physical exertion on yourself, then you are not fit, and that is a problem the individual needs to address.
And, to address the "individual team competes against other or others for entertainment," every competition is subjective. Any score that any band gets is at the opinion of the judge. Whereas with sports like baseball and football, it is two "teams" that go head to head with each other, in order to finish the task at hand (like getting the ball in the end zone) while exerting their physical body. Every "team" that competes in a marching band competition has their own time to shine, and never directly goes head to head with another band.
And I have never heard anybody say, "most things that are competitive are sports." That's like saying the debate team is a sport, concert band competitions are sports events, ect. Anybody who says that these things are sports are wrong in their own way and that is an argument for another day. We need to focus on the topic at hand: Marching band is/is not a sport.

I'll stick with my original thesis: Sports are meant for athletes to show their athletic ability and teamwork, the marching arts are meant for musicians to show their musicianship and coordination. Just because conditioning has to be done in order to ensure that members are fit enough to march an 8 minute show doesn't mean that you can automatically declare it a sport.
shadowpuppy

Pro

Marching band is a sport whether you believe it to be or not. According to the Oxford Dictionary, a sport is defined as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." <--like you said. Well if band does competitions, then it is a sport. It is right there in the definition of "sport". It is also proven that a single marching band works harder than a team of football players. I rest my case.
2019browntyler

Con

To conclude my argument of con, I'd like to say that I am in no way bashing the amount of hard-work and grit that goes into marching a season of marching band. I've been through it several times, both on the field and on the podium. It's rough, it's hard to do, you put your body and your mindset to the test- But I still don't think that the fine arts equate to being a sport. If marching an 8-11 minute show is harder than running and jumping and tackling on the football field for 45 minutes, then you must have a world class constant jazz-running show (s/o to the Blue Devils). There is absolutely no way the idea of sportsmanship can equate to the idea of musicianship, and that is something you can't change. You have not addressed the fact that any marching band competition out there has completely subjective results, and you keep with your same narrative, "well if a band does competitions, then it is a sport." Then you turn right back around with your contradictions of how "Mathletes" (whatever that is) shouldn't be considered a sport, even though THEY ALL PARTICIPATE IN A COMPETITIVE NATURE.
My opponent never addressed my arguments, never rebutted, and never even came up with a different pro for their argument. Voters, please vote con :).
Posted by Mr.BeBe 3 years ago
Mr.BeBe
Mathletes wut wtf is a MATH LETE
Posted by Mrs.Wittles 3 years ago
Mrs.Wittles
Mr. BeBe Marching band is a sport in the fact that it involves vigorous physical exercise. It involves more physical contact than soccer, in fact i got hit in the face with a saxophone. also i'm sure some of the boys in marching band have more balls than soccer players to put on those compression pants, thank you.
Posted by shadowpuppy 3 years ago
shadowpuppy
You don't have to have a ball for something to be a sport mathletes is a sport and they don't have a ball track is a sport they don't have a ball, swimming is a sport they don't have a ball
Posted by jaedaddy 3 years ago
jaedaddy
Dis jaedaddy yall an i jus finna say straightup marching band aint no sport dawg it might be hard but it aint no sport its music dawg but speaking of music dawg everyone who peeps this comment peep my beat page at jaedaddybeatz with a z cuz my beats lowkey better and more jus in general then yalls music peice out yalls #thuglife
Posted by Mr.BeBe 3 years ago
Mr.BeBe
Hey Marching Band is not a sport there ain't no ball and the people that march dont have any balls either. Boom Roasted
Posted by Rebeccacarlson 3 years ago
Rebeccacarlson
#MarchingBandIsASport