cole84
cfossedal

Margarine is better than butter

cole84

Pro

I am a canola farmer and I believe that it is important to support grain farmers in a small way by purchasing margarine over butter. Dairy farmers have safety nets like supply management and do not need your support as much as a grain farmer does. Support your local canola farmers by buying margarine.
cfossedal

Con

This is not the first time I've done academic writing, But it is the first time I've done it as a formal debate. Thank you.

My main argument against this is that there is no moral imperative to buy margarine over butter.

Margarine and butter are both marketable products, And many people (including myself) happen to prefer the taste or texture of butter over margarine.

Like butter, Margarine also has the potential to increase blood-cholestorol levels. Some consumers may not want to buy as much product in order to adjut the mass : cholesterol ratio or to save money. (This point may not be strong in practice, But I assert its power in principle)

The fact that dairy farmers receive subsidies is not relevant to canola farmers. Dairy cows are useful as their own commodity within and without dairy farming (such as fertilizing animals, Zoostock, And livestock). Some dairy farmers are also not large-industry, But homesteaders. If subsidies are an injustice, They need to be addressed at the budgetary level first, Either by eliminating subsidies which are wasteful and discourage competition, And/or by adding subsidies that are necessary for necessary industries to exist.

Canola beans also serve purposes (such as alternative fuels) other than making margarine. This means there are other markets for the bean. It doesn't follow that there is a moral quandry to prefer margarine over butter until: 1. It serves some demonstrable, Necessary purpose and; 2. Other options for keeping the necessary markets alive have been exhausted.
cole84

Pro

cole84 forfeited this round.
cfossedal

Con

My arguments have gone unchallenged the previous round. I suppose the Pro argument has either missed the post deadline or set aside the debate.

I will use a fundamental philosophical argument to bolster my arguments that freedom of conscience and will are more important than a forced external compulsion. Free will gives meaning to our actions, Including acts of charity (such as buying canola products of struggling farmers). This in turn gives the essence of the word "better" as used in the context of the debate title.
cole84

Pro

cole84 forfeited this round.
cfossedal

Con

https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=tTZLVrhXfkc

(I couldn't resist)
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
I remember seeing a documentary about chicken farmers how they would get worse chickens or cut wages if they didn't push the egg market. Or they would get worse chicks that grow into unproductive egg laying chickens. Its a vicious cycle.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
I predict that margarine will win by a small margin in round 3, But term mandates that butter will win in the end.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
Buying margarine for moral reasons. . . That's the most logical thing I've ever heard said about margarine