Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
Vike_Sketcher
Christfollower

Masturbation is sin

Christfollower has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Vike_Sketcher

Con

I will allow my opponent to start off with the debate about Masturbation being a sin in the Christian religion.

I believe it is not wrong. I am willing to change my mind if I'm proven wrong.

Good luck.
Christfollower

Pro

I believe it is wrong because God says so.
Vike_Sketcher

Con

That mindset comes up an awful lot, But yet have I to meet someone who can prove their point.
Christfollower

Pro

Sin is often the result of lust or wrong selfish desire. This fact forms the primary basis of answering this question. Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:28 that "whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. " Sexual lusting in the mind is the primary reason or trigger for masturbation and is sin"whether from erotic imagery, Viewing pornography, Or lusting after a person who is not one"s spouse. A Christian must therefore learn to control his thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5).

As the apostle James wrote: "But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, It gives birth to sin" (James 1:14-15, New American Standard Bible).

The Bible specifically forbids adultery, Fornication, Homosexual sex, Incest, Bestiality and lust but does not mention masturbation or self-stimulation. Masturbation as part of sexual relations between married partners would not be classified as sin. But masturbation outside of marital relations commonly is sinful, Being often accompanied by wrong lustful thoughts, Such as when viewing pornography.

The use of pornography (including so called "soft porn") is definitely a sin, As it violates Christ"s teaching in Matthew 5:28. Looking lustfully at risqu" entertainment and immoral fantasizing are all clearly sinful. Addictions to porn and masturbation will reinforce each other. When a person stops viewing or thinking about anything wrongly erotic, There won"t be so much improper sexual arousal with urges to masturbate.

The Bible does not teach asceticism, Such as the pagan Gnostic teaching that all physical things are evil, Including the human body. God designed human beings with sexuality""male and female" (Genesis 1:27; Matthew 19:4)"for many reasons, But especially so they can marry, Enjoy marital love, Have children and enjoy many other blessings. Marriage is sacred and critically important to God. Therefore, One must not allow anything to hinder the success of his or her present marriage or a future marriage.

Lustful self-stimulation can easily become a habit that hurts a marital relationship and future sexual satisfaction with one"s spouse. A habit formed before marriage can be difficult to break even after getting married. Many marriages have been seriously hurt because one or both of the spouses had a secret habit of masturbation. (The United Church of God offers a valuable free study guide on love, Sex and marriage"Marriage and Family: The Missing Dimension. )

Because sex is powerful, Masturbation can also become an addiction. Any addiction is spiritually dangerous because it has become the master, And the addict has become the slave"and we must only be "slaves of God" (Romans 6:22). Remember that it is easier to prevent a habit or addiction than to break an already-formed habit or addiction.

As Christians, We are to be "bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5). This of course requires His help. We must constantly be asking God to renew and strengthen us. The practical method for stopping unwanted thoughts is to replace them with good thoughts (Philippians 4:6-8). Strive with God"s help for spiritual growth in all areas of life and, As a result, You will become stronger in those areas where you have been the weakest.

Once God has called us to be His disciples, We are doubly responsible to Him for how we use our time, Our minds and our bodies. We are called to bear "good fruit" and "much fruit" spiritually (Matthew 7:15-20; John 15:1-8). And part of the fruit of God"s Spirit is self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Don"t allow anything habit-forming or lustful to interfere with these goals.
Vike_Sketcher

Con

I am very impressed with your grammar and choice of words. Very well put and very well done. I must say I do agree with you on most of what you have said!

Yes, I do strongly agree that sexual lust and lusting is sin! Looking upon a woman with lust is wrong. Viewing ANY type of pornography is also sin. I believe that even just having a sexually lustful imagination of any kind is sinful as well (I don't mean to add that of the spouse within marriage as part of my judgement; I hope you know what I mean. ).

Lust definition: a feeling of strong desire; to look at or watch with a strong desire.

Your line: "Sexual lusting in the mind is the primary reason or trigger for masturbation".
This is generally true. For myself, However, It is different. I have trained my body and mind to be able to know when it is time to release again as my body needs it every now and then. What happens if I choose not to release? I am so much the more vulnerable to lustful temptations. The body must find some way to release as it produces so much sperm. So eventually lustful temptations come; and when they have succeeded, They give birth to sin. I believe sexual arousal comes from the need to release. If left unattended or not dealt with, It can cause you to think about or watch things you shouldn't, That's a huge motivator to masturbate.

I agree, And believe that secret masturbation hurts marriage. After all, If it's in secret, That is a great indicator that it's not done in a pure mindset. Therefore being wrong and destructive. If it is with a pure mindset, Why then is it a secret? Married couples should not have secrets between each other. If there is an issue with one secretly masturbating even with a pure mindset; the sin is not with masturbation itself, But the sin lies with the secrecy or the inability to cooperate with the desires of the spouse if the spouse disagrees with masturbation.

You mention that masturbation is or can be an addiction or habit. Yes, If done excessively, It is then an addiction. But if you control yourself, It doesn't need to be done excessively, But only when felt necessary.

I agree with the fact that we should control our thoughts and our bodies. I do take sin and sinful thinking very seriously. I have control of my mindset. I have learned to masturbate with a pure mindset. I do not view pornography of any kind, Nor do I sexually lust.

Masturbating (with a pure mindset) to release regularly, Is quite beneficial. I do not struggle with sexual lust at all. It is also an energy booster while feeling good. I have this boost of energy when I'm done.
When I used to live in sin, I also masturbated with an impure mindset, Then I felt guilt and shame afterward; I still got the energy booster, As I was motivated to desire to stop masturbation as I believed it was wrong back then. But I always struggled. I always thought that sexual lust and dirty thoughts always went hand in hand with masturbation, But that is false. It doesn't have to go hand in hand, Most people just don't know though.

Note: Though I do not believe masturbation in itself is wrong, I do believe it is wrong for the individual who thinks it is wrong. As scripture does state that if you do something while believing it is wrong(even if it's not actually wrong) it is then sin.

This is my rebuttal. If I have not covered everything or brought my point across clear enough, Please let me know.
Posted by Vike_Sketcher 3 years ago
Vike_Sketcher
Masturbation and lust are not the same thing. Nor must they go hand in hand.
Posted by melcharaz 3 years ago
melcharaz
the bible talks about how its better to marry than to burn "In your lusts"
Posted by Vike_Sketcher 3 years ago
Vike_Sketcher
Yes sir :)
Posted by Christfollower 3 years ago
Christfollower
do you plan on posting a rebuttle?
Posted by Vike_Sketcher 3 years ago
Vike_Sketcher
Good man ;)
Posted by Christfollower 3 years ago
Christfollower
I am challenging you Vike
Posted by Vike_Sketcher 3 years ago
Vike_Sketcher
Would anyone here be interested in challenging me to an actual debate on my topic?
Posted by oalks 3 years ago
oalks
I never once said or implied moral values were subjective to the individual. Hell isn't meant as a threat, It's as metaphoric as it is literal. Moral standards are described by the culture, And judgement is a process that simply can't occur without a prior stance.

Proper ethics does NOT necessitate any form of respect for others' opinions, As the majority are ineffectual and harmful.
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Recognising that one"s moral values are subjective does not diminish their strength. And it is the strength of moral conviction that leads to action, Not the philosophical view that one takes of the nature of those convictions.
if one accepts that there is no objective moral truth, And that all we have are subjective viewpoints, Then the only form of social organization that makes sense is democracy. If nobody can prove that their values are the right ones, Then the best we can do is let everyone have their say and put the matter to the vote. Proper ethics entails respect for the opinions of others and therefore bolsters a peaceable democratic system, Whereas the ethics of certainty entails disrespect for the opinions of others and thereby furnishes a rationale for tyranny.
Every major institutional religion in the West and most in the East urge"sometimes by means of threats or bribes, E. G. , Of hell or heaven"that one accept package deals chosen by others. In my view, This is a profound cognitive immorality. Morality is about making choices based upon independent judgment, And any belief system that undermines that core responsibility is immoral.
Posted by oalks 3 years ago
oalks
Cherry-picking christians are proof only of subjective morality. Humans have an innate perception of morality due to origin and culture, But morality couldn't be considered objective in any secular school of thought.

In the context of society moral rules are authoritarian, Perhaps more than the law itself. If it wasn't, Christians wouldn't feel it necessary to pick apart their own belief.