Marktnt
KJnonviolentresistance

Men are the ones being oppressed by women.

Marktnt has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Marktnt

Pro

Feminists have claimed that women are being oppressed by men, but when I do the research I find the complete opposite.
-Women get custody unless the man can prove the living conditions are unsuitable.
-Men gain longer prison sentences than women for the same crime.
-Men are forced to sign up for the draft.
-Men are as well told to not show emotion causing emotional build up most likely the cause for the high suicide rate among men.
KJnonviolentresistance

Con

Feminists not only say women are being oppressed, but they say men are too due to double standards and society's structure just like women.

Now let's addressed your first point: "Women get custody unless the man can prove the living conditions are unsuitable." This is a valid point, but most states no longer honor that presumption. (In fact, some states have passed laws stating that there is no custody preference for women over men.) I agree that it is perceived that mothers are still more likely to get custody when parents' divorce despite personal experience, but this is because most fathers aren't involved after divorce or it doesn't even get to court. Below are a few stats from a Pew Research Center analysis of the National Survey of Family Growth. According to the report, a married father spends on average 6.5 hours a week taking part in primary child care activities with his children. The married mother spends on average 12.9 hours. Since two-income households are now the norm, not the exception, the above information indicates that not only are mothers working, but they are also doing twice as much child care as fathers. More startling are the stats on absent fathers, or the amount of time fathers spend with children once the divorce is final. According to the above study, 22% of fathers see their children more than once a week. 29% percent of fathers see their children one to four times a month. 27% of fathers have no contact with their children at all. When you take into consideration that mothers spend more time taking care of children before a divorce and only 22% of fathers take advantage of spending what I would consider quality time with their children after the divorce, the fact that more mothers retain custody seems reasonable... doesn"t it? What do the statistics say about how custody is decided during divorce and whether there is a true gender bias? According to DivorcePeers.com, the majority of child custody cases are not decided by the courts.

In 51 percent of custody cases, both parents agreed " on their own " that mom becomes the custodial parent.
In 29 percent of custody cases, the decision was made without any third-party involvement.
In 11 percent of custody cases, the decision for mom to have custody was made during mediation.
In 5 percent of custody cases, the issue was resolved after a custody evaluation.

Only 4 percent of custody cases went to trial and of that 4 percent, only 1.5 percent completed custody litigation.
In other words, 91 percent of child custody after divorce is decided with no interference from the family court system. How can there be a bias toward mothers when fewer than 4 percent of custody decisions are made by the Family Court?

What do these statistics tell us?
1. Fathers are less involved in their children"s care during the marriage.
2. Fathers are less involved in their children"s lives after divorce.
3. Mothers gain custody because the clear majority of fathers choose to give them custody.
4. There is no Family Court bias in favor of mothers because very few fathers seek custody during divorce.

I fully understand and appreciate the value of fathers in the lives of their children. We as a society should do everything in our power to encourage responsible parenting by both mothers and fathers.

On to your second point, "Men gain longer prison sentences than women for the same crime." There are a couple of factors at work in sex differences in crime.

1.) Men are more likely to commit crimes than women. This is consistent across cultures and time. In 2014, more than 73 % of those arrested in the US were males. Men comprised of 80.4% of persons arrested for violent crime and 62.9% of those arrested for property crime.
Males compromise:
98% of those arrested for forcible rape.
89% of those arrested for robbery.
77.8% of those arrested for aggravated assault.
85% of those arrested for burglary.
57.3% while females 42.7 % of those arrested for larceny-theft.
81.5% of those arrested for motor-vehicle theft.
83% of those arrested for arson.
58.7% while females 41.3 % of those arrested for fraud.
51.3% while females 48.7 % of those arrested for embezzlement.
81.7% of those arrested for stolen property.
81.7% of those arrested for vandalism.
79.7% of those arrested for offenses against family and children.

2.) Men commit a much higher percentage of the most serious and violent crimes. These crimes are the most likely to lead to arrest and imprisonment and result in longer periods of imprisonment. So even if the total number of criminals were equally split between genders, men would rack up significantly more "man-years" of imprisonment per capita.

3.) The crimes that have more even gender ratios (prostitution, drug possession, property crimes) are often less likely to result in arrest or lengthy prison sentences than the serious crimes.

4.) To an extent, women tend to receive shorter sentences for the same crimes. This isn't itself the primary reason for the gender disparity in prison populations but does contribute. Study finds large gender disparities in federal criminal cases.
In summation: Men commit both more and more serious crimes, and as a result are 1.) more likely to be arrested, 2.) more likely to be imprisoned, and 3.) more likely to receive lengthier sentences.

Next, your third point "Men are forced to sign up for the draft" is valid. I wouldn"t want to sign up for the draft against my own will, and the draft in the United States has been employed by the government in four conflicts: the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and the Cold War (including the Korean War and the Vietnam War). The draft has been in history since the Civil War when women were expected to stay home and take care of domestic duties and not allowed to even work until the late 19th when the economy was down. This was only because families couldn"t afford to only have men work. In 1981 though, several men filed a lawsuit in the case Rostker v. Goldberg, alleging that the Military Selective Service Act violates the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment by requiring that men only and not also women register with the Selective Service System. The Supreme Court upheld the act, stating that Congress's "decision to exempt women was not the accidental byproduct of a traditional way of thinking about women", that "since women are excluded from combat service by statute or military policy, men and women are simply not similarly situated for purposes of a draft or registration for a draft, and Congress' decision to authorize the registration of only men, therefore, does not violate the Due Process Clause", and that "the argument for registering women was based on considerations of equity, but Congress was entitled, in the exercise of its constitutional powers, to focus on the question of military need, rather than 'equity.'" Women are not oppressing men when it comes to the draft, in fact, the Supreme court and Congress is. Most feminists despite not wanting to be drafted are for both men and women being required to sign up for the draft and or totally against having the draft for both men and women in the first place.

For your fourth point, "Men are as well told to not show emotion causing emotional build up most likely the cause for the high suicide rate among men." This is unfair, but this has been perpetuated by society since the beginning that men must be "manly." Believe me: women do not oppress men this way. In fact. it is quite the opposite. Society's image of men has made this ideal past down from father to son. I wish men didn"t feel this way or I might have been close to my father as I was to my step-mom, but when I confronted him once about he said it has been ingrained in him since birth that his father punished him for crying or acting "weak." Is it unfair? YES, but it starts with you to break it down and stop perpetuating men must be strong and masculine because that is toxic not only for you but for everyone's mental and relationship well-being.

My arguments:
-To those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
-Wages: To know that I will not get paid as much as the guy sitting next to me, bothers me immensely.
-Body Image: Through TV we have seen beautiful, thin women models with pounds of makeup on. However, only 3% of the decision making in media is women and the other 97% is made up of men and this creates a vicious cycle of not feeling good enough for society and leads to low self-esteem and happiness.
-Rape: Rape is such a disgusting act for any person, whether you're a victim or an assaulter. Rape is too common of an act in society, every female constantly must watch her back. Going to a party isn't safe because a pill may go into my cup, walking early in the morning isn't safe because someone might grab me, and be wearing certain clothes would dismiss my pain. These things exist for everyone and they shouldn't, rape laws should be better, and women shouldn't be taken advantage at all. Because what men fear most in prison is what I fear most walking down the street.

I could try to explain how this affects you and how some of your arguments are valid but just ill-intended. They are intended to say that I'm more oppressed than you when really it is both of us and all of society that is oppressed. Here is a great image that might explain what you are feeling. https://i.pinimg.com...
Posted by Bob16 1 year ago
Bob16
Con countered every argument objectively and in a detailed way. Con did an amazing job.
Posted by Ten_vrah 3 years ago
Ten_vrah
I would be weary claiming that men are more likely to commit crimes based solely on the fact that they are more often arrested for them and then processed for them because it does two things: Firstly it would insinuate that black men are more likely to commit crimes than white men because they are arrested for a staggeringly disproportionate amount of crimes (Where 38% of inmates are black in the US [https://www.bop.gov...] while they only make up 13% of the population [https://www.census.gov...] ). Secondly, it would lend itself towards the idea that men and women are biologically different to an extent that affects the way they interact with people and the world so much so that it would cause large differences in the way they perform in society (which would, on the flip side, explain a wage gap and lack of representation of women in higher earning positions because men would be more geared towards the competition).

Also, your use of rape as if it is something that is gender biased tells me that you probably have not read the CDC's 2015 report on rape and sexual assault [https://www.cdc.gov...]. Rape is initially defined as "completed or attempted forced penetration or alcohol- or drug-facilitated penetration" which is already biased as it makes it so that women cannot rape men and instead in the study a woman forcing a man to have sex with them is categorized as "being made to penetrate". Looking at table one under the 12-month category men are actually made to penetrate more then women were raped. This shows an obvious inequality in the incarceration system because, as you said, women are not being arrested for rape as often and yet according to the most cited and credible study (as this is the one that boasts the statistic that one in five women will be raped) they are committing the crime at the same rate.
Posted by Mister_Man 3 years ago
Mister_Man
I wouldn't go as far to say men are "oppressed" by women, however I'm on your side here that societal disadvantages affect men much more than women. Same applies to miniscule legal disadvantages, such as biases in court and child custody cases, etc.

So good luck to you and I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this.