TheCounterArgument
WrickItRalph

Military Schools

TheCounterArgument

Pro

I will be advocating for schools with a military environment.

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Main Statements
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4:Secondary Statements
Round 5:Closing Statements
WrickItRalph

Con

Lets do this
TheCounterArgument

Pro

First of all let me state that I currently go to a military school. Most of my research in this round is first hand and from here https://militaryschoolusa. Com/advantages-of-military-schools/

I believe that military schools are good and should be kept around.

My reasons for this is that a military environment can better prepare a student for the real world. What I mean by this is that most military schools teach their students how to become leaders and focus on goals. It also teaches students to become independent by making them rely on themselves.

Military schools also provide educational opportunities that public schools cannot. The student teacher ratio at a military school is much lower than public schools, Allowing students to talk with their teachers and better understand a subject. The college acceptance rate of military schools it commonly around 90%-99%.

Besides schooling, Military schools also allow students to develop discipline and a military bearing. It is very common that students will clean their dorms and have room inspections to make sure everything is clean. Physical training is also very common, Allowing students to motivate each other and better develop themselves.

Another part of military schools that you don't see at public schools is "character development". Character development is a weekly activity that most military schools do. What happens is that an alumni of the school comes in and talks about his/her experience at the school and what it has done for them. This helps students understand their potential which isn't ever seen at public schools.

Something else you can see at military schools is brotherhood. Whether it is between students or between schools. I remember when Carson Long Military Academy, The oldest military academy in Pennsylvania, Shut down Valley Forge Military Academy, Currently the only military academy in Pennsylvania, Accepted their students and brought them here as their own. Also with military schools you get a brotherhood with you peers. At military academies everyone new goes through a plebe system. A plebe system allows student to make bonds with their plebe brothers and be truly accepted into the military academy family.

I rest my case.
WrickItRalph

Con

I have never been to a military school. For now, I will arguing using generally accepted truths about military school combined with the points you've already brought up. One thing I would like you educate me on is do all military schools require that the students live on campus? I'm asking because I think it would be relevant and I would like to make sure I'm representing the nature of military schools properly. Moving on.

So my problem with military schools has multiple prongs. Firstly, I hold a political position that all private schools should be made illegal and the whole population should have to go to public school. This is not an unprecedented position. Other countries have put this idea into practice. I'm not going to attest to how good the results of this are, Because I don't have data on the matter, But I will explain apparent practical benefits. The most obvious benefit is that having a mandatory public school system will force all parents to address the education problem together. I big critique of private schools is that it gives individuals a way to get around addressing the public school issue. This means that people who can't afford private schools will be forced to send their kids to inferior public schools. In a mandatory system, All citizens at all income levels will be motivated to improve public schools for the sake of their kids. This has been demonstrated historically. When schools in America were desegregated, All of the districts that had mixing of classes saw almost immediate improvement in their schools. Concerned parents are a very powerful force and if all the parents are focus on the same education system, They will accomplish much more. This system would ensure that every child at every income level has access to a reliable education. Since military schools fall into the private school category, This philosophy of mine is necessarily in opposition to yours.

The second prong of my contention is the nature of military conduct. I have no problem with teaching children to act in a disciplined manner, However, Certain concepts worry me. Character development sounds harmless at first blush, But not every instructor will build character in a positive way. I see no value in brotherhood. I find it to be a behavior that makes people more likely to act with prejudice. I'm not sure if dorms are a good idea either. Environments like this can be nice sometimes, But more often than not, It facilitates bullying and other deplorable tribal behaviors. With that said, I think there could be situations in which these values could result in a good school, But we have to ask ourselves how effective is it on average and are the benefits worth the apparent risks? I'd say no, But you're welcome to convince me otherwise.

Third prong is the graduation rate. Now I'm not saying that military schools can't raise the graduation rate, But it's important for us to understand that the military schools don't get credit for ALL of the increased graduation rate. I'll explain. So for now, I'll accept your 90% graduation rate, Although my gut tells me that there's a margin of error here. One thing that we have to consider is that the mere fact that the parents care enough to enroll their kids in private school automatically increases there chances of graduating even before the school itself even comes into the picture. Children who have emotionally and financially supportive parents are going to be much more likely to graduate. Furthermore, Not all graduations are created equal. There could be practices within the school that do increase the graduation rate, But they do it in a way that is bad for the child in another way, Like at the expense of their mental health, For instance. There is a basis for this line of reasoning because it's been shown that people who get more social pressure from their loved ones are both more likely to succeed in their goal and also more likely to experience depression and other emotional problems that stem from being under high stress. So with all of these thing in mind, We can see that the high graduation rate should not be taken at face value and needs to account for necessary constants that effect the graduation rate irrespective of the school itself.

These will be my main arguing points for the debate. Your floor.
TheCounterArgument

Pro

TheCounterArgument forfeited this round.
TheCounterArgument

Pro

TheCounterArgument

Pro

Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
I imagine it would be hard to get a big enough sample size to stratify for a military school. There's exclusion involved in who gets into the schools because they cost money and require the kids to live there. So any data pulled is going to need a robust control group to say the least.
Posted by Charlatte 3 years ago
Charlatte
I would vote con, Military schools aren't good, If I had the ability to vote right now. Hate tech issues. Anyway, There have been studies showing that strict parenting is bad but unfortunately not really for strict authoritarian schools. However, I do believe they are the same thing and won't work. There was one I know of which is a school that took boys whom would have gone to jail without that school. When they stopped trying to control the boys then they actually stopped their bad behavior and decided to learn something. Before this I think about 99% would have gone to prison which dropped to 0% and 90% went on to further education and got jobs! Military schools are too strict in my opinion.