pacificcoastchrist
RevXCVII

Mumble Rap Is A Hunk Of Dog Sh*t

Started: 11/19/2018 Category: Music

pacificcoastchrist

Pro

I mean come on motherf*ckers there's nothing to like about this dog sh*t and I don't want anybody telling me "OH WELL METAL SUX 2 CUZ DAT'S JUST SCREAMING DAT SH*T TAKES NO TALENT DAWG U STOOPID" cause black metal is one of the worst genres of all time. This is about mumble rap and how anyone who likes it is an empty headed f*ck who doesn't know what music is.
RevXCVII

Con

Popularity of art defines its objective quality.

Talent/skill, Rhythm, Lyrics, Effort, Style, Elicited emotion, Etc. Are common factors which society uses to measure quality of music, However this does not mean that these factors are arbiters on musical quality.

If an artist recorded a track with nothing but the sound of his dog farting for 5 minutes straight and billions of people began to genuinely listen to that as music (thus releasing neurotransmitters responsible for pleasure), The dog farting track would be objectively good. This doesn't mean you or I are supposed to like it, It just means our taste in music isn't perfect.

And since we're speaking objectively, I enjoy listening to sh*t music (not implying mumble rap or metal). It obviously sounds good to me if I go out of my way to listen to it (subjectively good to myself), But it would still be considered objectively sh*t due to its unpopular status.
pacificcoastchrist

Pro

I was thinking we would be arguing on the subjective side of the spectrum, But I"m glad you brought up those points.

You can"t measure effort (but you can tell when someone isn"t trying). All of your examples (talent/skill, Rhythm, So on, So on) really do come down to a subjective sort of deal. Even when it comes to morality, That"s all subjective. Some people like the "I"M NUMBER ONE" attitude of Pantera while others like the gloomy attitude of Nirvana.

However, Whatever the case may be, You can"t ignore the basic fundamentals of music. I"m referring to elements such as pitch, Scale, Chords, Etc. There"s a lot to discover when taking music theory, And that can be discussed later, But when all you have is a drum track followed with a non-rhythmic "BLOWIN JOINTS, IN DA BAK, WIT DA BOIS", It"s not much of anything. Most people don"t have a strong interest or knowledge of music anyway, So of course it"s possible to come across people who would consider excessive dog farts music. And sure, There may be a few newer rap songs out there with a rhythm of some sort, But it"s hard to consider talking mixed with "bum-tss-tss-dle-tss-boop-tss-tss-dle-tss" actual music.

It may be objectively good, But it"s objectively not music.
RevXCVII

Con

RevXCVII forfeited this round.
pacificcoastchrist

Pro

I see you've forfeited the round. Not to worry, I'm ready to debate again when you are.
RevXCVII

Con

RevXCVII forfeited this round.
pacificcoastchrist

Pro

It seems that I will not be getting any more responses from my opponent, So I'm gonna end with a response to Masterful's comment.

He basically just says that legitimate music wins over and amazes more than mumble rap. Even though music has subjective qualities (effort, Lyrics, Skill, Whatever) you can't ignore the basics. Scale, Pitch, And chords are just a few important pieces to making a song, And when done right, It can lead to great results.

No real musician will ever consider mumble rap real music, Because it isn't. Millions of people are listening to it right now, And of course they're entitled to their opinion. However, From a musical standpoint, It just isn't music. Without the basic fundamentals of a song, You have no song.

Anything else?
RevXCVII

Con

RevXCVII forfeited this round.
pacificcoastchrist

Pro

pacificcoastchrist forfeited this round.
RevXCVII

Con

RevXCVII forfeited this round.
Posted by Masterful 3 years ago
Masterful
Go to any tribe anywhere and play mumble rap. You know for certain that they wouldn't sit down and be like "yeah this motherf***ers actually good"

The reason why, Is because music has subjective qualities. Humans all hear in a relatively similar manner, No one would claim the sound of a jack hammer to be relaxing, But many would claim Nessun Dorma to be relaxing.

Go to tribes with opera music and you'll win over and amaze far more than with mumble rap.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Hey pro thanks for accepting my debate ill be waiting for u to spit your bars good luck
Posted by GraysonGg_116 3 years ago
GraysonGg_116
Good luck finding someone who disagree's with you XD