backwardseden
SlyDebates

Newsweek: White christian nationalism

backwardseden

backwardseden

Pro

Taken from Newsweek 11/1/18:

Last week, A wave of violence swept our country as liberals from coast to coast were targeted by bombs, Black elders were shot in a Kentucky grocery store, And eleven Jews worshiping at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh were massacred.

Political violence and terrorism on this scale makes clear that it"s not the guns or the bombs, Or even policy changes that can rip families apart and destroy lives that gives the right its power. Their single most effective and destructive weapon is an idea: white Christian nationalism.

White Christian nationalism says that some of us have no place in this country, Or have less claim to our own bodies, American prosperity, And, Crucially, To voting and our democracy. It finds expression in racism, Anti-blackness, Anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, Misogyny, And transphobia. Their fantasy is that, Without us, Remaining Americans would be better off. And the more the president and the party he has commandeered champion that idea, The more powerful response they get, Whether it"s through bombings, Shootings, Or street brawls.

Of course, Not all Republicans are white Christian nationalists. However, The party relies on white Christian nationalism, And increasingly infuses it into party rhetoric. Republican elites have tried to make this election a referendum on a caravan of refugees lawfully seeking shelter, All so they can distract from the consolidation of corporate power, Inflame the nationalist right and win the majorities they need to cut taxes, Gerrymander our districts, Or appoint anti-regulatory judges to the federal bench.

It is their rhetoric that is adding personal, Vigilante, And organized right-wing violence to the already existing, Ongoing, And grinding structural violence that too many Americans experience in so many ways.

Donald Trump, Republican lawmakers and the conservative media think their strategy is working and they have shown they are more than willing to accept this rising tide of violence as collateral damage. The only way to stop them is to prove them wrong. We must prove that appeals to white Christian nationalism will not only fail"they will backfire.

We can and will mourn for our fallen community members, But it would be a disservice to stop there. We must reject the calls to depoliticize our response to politically motivated attacks on Jewish people, On black people, The free press, And so many others. We will be sorrowful, We might be scared, But we won"t be shaken. We saw this coming and we will rely on our bonds to support one another, Remain brave, And mobilize towards this midterm election and beyond through organizing year-round.

While the right can only double down on division, Movements for justice have a competing vision of promise, Of abundance, Of shared prosperity. Ours is more powerful because it"s popular. Ours is a movement that offers policies that lift up all people, Regardless of race, Religion, Or background. Medicare-for-All is hugely popular among people of all parties because it"s the idea that everyone should be able to go to the doctor when they need to. People overwhelmingly support raising the minimum wage because they believe that, In the most prosperous society in human history, Everyone should have enough to eat, A safe place to live, And even enough to have a little fun. We have other massively popular ideas, Like access to birth control and abortion, Investing in schools, Child care, And care for the elderly instead of prisons and police forces.

This is a movement that can rally the justice-minded, Multi-racial, Multi-gender, Multi-faith, Pro-refugee, Pro-immigrant majority in this country. Instead of operating from a place of hatred and scarcity, Ours offers love and abundance.

We are working to build an inclusive, Democratic political movement built on solidarity. Solidarity is the idea that we don"t have to be the same to want the best for one another, That we can keep each other safe, We can share what we have, That we can find our way to consensus about how best to be in community together, Better known as "democracy. " And that we will fight for it and for one another.

This movement we"re building is growing and winning. We see the national response to make sure our native siblings in North Dakota and elsewhere can vote next week. We see people ensuring that votes in Georgia get counted. We see Andrew Gillum"s and Stacey Abram"s inspiring races. We see local organizations making it clear to the rest of us that the shooting in Louisville was about race and power and politics, Not one deranged person (though sick he might be). We see people of all faiths "and none at all"naming that the shooting in Pittsburgh was about George Soros conspiracy theories, Islamophobic slander, And ongoing xenophobia about asylum seekers, Not one sick person (though sick he might be).

Terrorism seeks to distort our reality, Break social bonds, And disrupt the commonwealth with fear. Amid the terror we see the potential of solidarity. We will not be deterred by bombs or bad ideas. We are unwavering in our commitment to one another and our shared work of making good on the so-far unrealized promise of our democracy.
SlyDebates

Con

The whole idea that Republicans enable white supremacists is very flawed in my opinion. By that logic, You probably agree with the lawsuit against Beavis and Butthead, In which a child set his house on fire because beavis says the word fire often. What rhetoric are you referring to because I need a specific examples. Saying There's only 2 genders doesn't make someone attack a synagogue. (And Trump is actually the most Jewish friendly president we have, Fulfilling his promise to move the us embassy to Jerusalem. ) Saying Socialized Healthcare is wrong doesn't make someome kill innocent people. These sick and twisted people deserve to burn in hell for their actions, But saying it's because of Republican leaders is incredibly shortsighted. By that logic, Kathy Griffin holding a severed Trump head enabled black teenagers to abduct a white mental challenged boy and beat him. Maxine Waters Calling for People to show up to where Conservative lawmakers are caused antifa and race riots.

OF course it's not their fault (but many leftists perpetuate the same violence the far right does ) Unless Someone Directly Called for hate or an attack on another group of people, It's not their fault. If Ted Cru said he hated Jewish People, I'd be right there with you on oposing him, But he hasn't. You can't but words in People's Mouths.

I'm atheist, But even u can see there's a war on Christianity in this country. This is no exception. If you blame the religion, Then you must blame all religion for violence then? Muslims, Christians, And Jews alike? I think we have a problem with identify and motivation personally. These Crazy Outliers are falling through the cracks and not getting help. That's why we see mass shootings, Bombings, And a growth of fanaticism on both sides of the spectrum. We need to do better at catching the signs before it's too late

The Bomber was the son of an immigrant from the Philippines BTW he's not white.
backwardseden

Pro

"Of course, Not all Republicans are white Christian nationalists. However, The party relies on white Christian nationalism, " That's 100% true.
The article did mention some keywords which leave it completely in the clear. "not all" and continues with "relies". So there's really nothing that can be said with what you state.

"And Trump is actually the most Jewish friendly. . . " Well Trump in being the worst president of all time who only cares about himself and winning at all costs and nothing else and has oh so many things about the god of the bible, Yeah there's that wonderful niche and crack that he fits right into, Never really does what is right unless it benefits himself in the winning dept. And did the article ever mention anything at all about jews? No, You did.

I am assuming that you are referring to Teddy baby Cruz? My god what a racist. I along with millions of others know where his truth lies. . . If someone were to place a gun at his head and were to offer him 1. Choose life or 2. Relinquish his neanderthal faith? Well gosh golly since he's such an easy fraud, It'd be his sad pathetic life in nanoseconds.

OK so let's move on. . .
"I'm atheist, But even u can see there's a war on Christianity in this country. " No not really. Its only a very selective few atheists, Whereas its the reverse with a multitude of so-called christians who declare war on pretty near everybody that disagrees with them no matter what the issues are. Its always been that way as their god instructs.
The article makes it exceptionally clear. . . "Political violence and terrorism on this scale makes clear that it"s not the guns or the bombs, Or even policy changes that can rip families apart and destroy lives that gives the right its power. Their single most effective and destructive weapon is an idea: white Christian nationalism. " Its always been the idea, The belief. Yeah I agree with the famous statement "The pen is mightier than the sword" Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Please always tc and have fun.
SlyDebates

Con

SlyDebates forfeited this round.
backwardseden

Pro

backwardseden forfeited this round.
SlyDebates

Con

SlyDebates forfeited this round.
Posted by backwardseden 1 year ago
backwardseden
Right now I'm really tired. I need some sleep and I sleep for a day or longer. But someone already accepted this debate. He must have gotten booted. He was REALLY tepid nonetheless with unreadable lingo. I don't know how I am going to respond though. I already have a response.
Posted by backwardseden 1 year ago
backwardseden
Repeated from another debate. . .
Oh jackie guess what I found? Since you have no knowledge of film, Or anything else, Especially anything that truly matters, Director Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium, Chappie) he has a series of vignette short films on youtube called Oats Studios. Some of them are sci fi masterpieces, Some are or war, Some are commercials, Some are just pain awfully boring. At any rate jack since you do not take your god at his word, Perhaps you will with simpleton pictures as he has made 2 short films about your god. They are instant classics that are insightful, Truthful and hilarious. Just think jack, You might grow up a little in watching some pictures, You know like reading your Red and Blue books just like you do now, Because if your god is a god according to YOUR bible, These short films portray YOUR god with the hair under your chin nail biting accountability and accuracy.

https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=Q1_HfhtB5eo&t=53s - Oats Studios - Volume 1 - God: Serengeti
https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=w4AGocVq7-w - Oats Studios - God: City
Posted by DeletedUser 1 year ago
DeletedUser
You make claims about people's personal lives that simply are not true. I have many genuine friends and loved ones and you can see one of them in my profile picture,
Posted by backwardseden 1 year ago
backwardseden
Really jack and who about peoples lives will it be shot down in a heartbeat?
Posted by DeletedUser 1 year ago
DeletedUser
You are entitled to your own beliefs. I am not going into those questions you asked me because it is exhausting getting into them with you.
All I am trying to prove is that you make pretty ridiculous claims about people's lives, When it can be shot down in a heartbeat.
Posted by backwardseden 1 year ago
backwardseden
jack, That doesn't prove anything. Wow is that REALLY YOU? Could be someone else from another starship in another galaxy jack. And so what if it is you jack. Wow you are posing with a girl jack with your arm around her. Gee.
And of course you completely avoid ALL the questions that I've put forth unto you jack. So you've proved that you are moral and your god and christ are not simply by your avoidance because I will give you that you are intelligent enough to know that you've been thus proved that by allowing those acts of complete barbarity and immorality in your bible, And wow isn't there anything such as "editing" = nah. See that's what makes your bible a best seller jack is that it thrives on it main characters, Namely its god and christ being evil and hateful a true dilemma, Whereas people like you are brainwashed into thinking they are good when its stone cold showed right in front of their faces that they are not just---as---it---was---shown---unto---you. Good VS evil jack from gods? Why not peace all round from gods? Nah idiots like you cannot possibly thrive on peace. You've got to have that hate gene within you. So don't tell me or anyone that YOU are spreading the "light" jack when you know you are not. Oh but wait, Christ is a false prophet, I forgot. Sorry.
Posted by DeletedUser 1 year ago
DeletedUser
I have genuine friends. See my profile picture
Posted by backwardseden 1 year ago
backwardseden
Well as proved unto you in no possible way are you a christian because you do not follow the word of your christ in oh so many ways in which your god would ---never--- use text as a form of communication in the first place so you have absolutely no possible other way of proving your god exists, A double whammy.
Yeah jack I do know you better than you know you because as predicted you completely failed to answer any morality questions put unto you thus you most certainly do not believe in your god and christ follow your god and christ unto their specific whines and barks unto which only the insane would do in the first place. Are you insane jack?
What you do, Just like every single so-called christian on the planet does is you follow your god and christ as to how YOU want as to WHAT YOU wants, To what YOUR specific wants, Needs and desires are. You do not follow your god and christ as to what your bible states by any means.
It has nothing to do with what I agree with or not, It has to do with what is true with the bible and how ridiculous it is and how utterly impossible it is to follow for every single person on the planet. You don't. So don't tell me I don't know you better than you know you when I do because if I didn't you would take the morality tests for both of your books and you would pass them and become moral thus proving to yourself that your god and christ are completely insane and immoral and stop going into this denial crap and become part of the human race and get some genuine friends and loved ones and get outside for a change in your life in which you rightly deserve. There. Happy? Nah. You want to continue to be negative to all that surrounds you, Spreading evil and hate because you haven't read your bible, And are utterly convinced from something that is nothing and cannot prove one god damned thing. Again its called "evidence" jack in which you have none. Again, What o you think people are going to say when they don't want to hear it?
Posted by DeletedUser 1 year ago
DeletedUser
As Christians, We are supposed to spread the word of God. We are the light of the world and the city on a hill. Maybe you don't agree with it but it's true
Posted by DeletedUser 1 year ago
DeletedUser
approaching someone is not a violation of their rights.
Vote Placed by Adam_Godzilla 1 year ago
Adam_Godzilla
backwardsedenSlyDebatesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited more times than pro.