dura
NetherZain

Northern Cyprus Should Be Recognized

dura has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

dura

Pro

Northern Cyprus itself was, Originally, A form of Turkish clout on the island of Cyprus- however, This was in response to an explicitly ethnonationalist coup on the island, And such a thing is surely unlikely to treat minorities well in any way (and, In fact, The short-lived regime did not. ) The nation as it stands is currently the more tolerant part of Cyprus, Having voted to unite the island as the Republic of Cyprus votes to keep the island disunited, Leaving Northern Cyprus high and dry. As it is, The lack of recognition does nothing but harm their economy, Trade, And the resources available to their citizens. Despite their best wishes, The country is here to stay, And to recognize it is the only way to offer security to their people.
NetherZain

Con

Hello! I am looking forward to debating with you. I'll start off with this, The Northerners are the ones who wanted to separate in the first place. When Turkish troops invaded the northern part of Cyprus and erected a border. They were met with cheers from people of Turkish decent. The only nation who acknowledge the northern state of Cyprus is turkey, The invaders. Who gets advantages from northern Cyprus if the UN acknowledges northern turkey as a independent state? Turkey. They get to move many troops into Cyprus. Then a full on invasion of Cyprus could occur. The southern part of Cyprus doesn't want to reunite for their own protection. As long as UN Peacekeepers are stationed there, Turkey can't invade. As soon as we Acknowledge Northern Cyprus as a independent state we leave the rest of Cyprus to the fate of whatever the Turkish government wants. That is why I must declare we must not acknowledge Northern Cyprus an independent state.

Source: https://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Cyprus_dispute
Posted by NetherZain 3 years ago
NetherZain
Okay, I look foward to it!
Posted by dura 3 years ago
dura
I appreciate it! I can not respond in the moment but certainly will before the time is out.
Posted by NetherZain 3 years ago
NetherZain
Hi! , I'm new to this site despite my account being two years old. I created this account at school two years ago but never got a chance to use it and kinda forgot about it, I am looking forward to debate with you!
Posted by NetherZain 3 years ago
NetherZain
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
So then the Greeks could sell North and South Aegean to Turkey to help pay off their debt.
Posted by dura 3 years ago
dura
That's still not part of Greece.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
I meant the southern part of the island.
Posted by dura 3 years ago
dura
Would be difficult given that's not part of Greece.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
I think Greece should sell Cyprus to Turkey to help pay off the Greek debt.