policy-debate
sometimeswrong

Old Town Road is not country music

sometimeswrong has forfeited round #3.
Started: 6/7/2019 Category: Music
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

policy-debate

Pro

"Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X is not country music and should therefore not be eligible for the country music awards.
sometimeswrong

Con

I think it"s important we lay out the definition of country music.

"a form of popular music originating in the rural southern US. It is a mixture of ballads and dance tunes played characteristically on fiddle, Banjo, Guitar, And pedal steel guitar"

If you disagree then this will start as a semantically argument.

-
Each individual verse of the song is quite clearly a Ballard due to the fact that it is a narrated short story that is different from each verse. See below the 2 ballads in the song.

"I got the horses in the back
Horse tack is attached
Hat is matte black
Got the boots that's black to match
Ridin' on a horse, Ha
You can whip your Porsche
I been in the valley
You ain't been up off that porch, Now"

"Ridin' on a tractor
Lean all in my bladder
Cheated on my baby
You can go and ask her
My life is a movie
Bull ridin' and boobies
Cowboy hat from Gucci
Wrangler on my booty"

As anyone can clearly see the two main verses in the song are short, Simple stories that also resemble a poem.

So we can clarify that the structure of the song is correct in that it is In ballads.

Now we look at the beat, Arguably the most important part for making a song meet its genre.

The definition states that the song must contain string instrument characteristics which it does.

My point - the song contains everything the country music definition states it must to be country.

-

I want to clarify a few things.

The definition doesn"t state that it can"t contain certain things (bass)

The definition does not state how much string it must contain.
policy-debate

Pro

Ok so, We can both agree that the exact definition of country music is "a form of popular music originating in the rural southern US. It is a mixture of ballads and dance tunes played characteristically on fiddle, Banjo, Guitar, And pedal steel guitar". Now, I'm going to argue that it is not, In fact, A ballad. Here're the full lyrics that I found at https://www. Billboard. Com/articles/news/lyrics/8506481/lil-nas-x-old-town-road-lyrics:

Yeah, I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more (Kio, Kio)

I got the horses in the back
Horse tack is attached
Hat is matte black
Got the boots that's black to match
Ridin' on a horse, Ha
You can whip your Porsche
I been in the valley
You ain't been up off the porch, Now

Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'
Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'

Ridin' on a tractor
Lean all in my bladder
Cheated on my baby
You can go and ask her
My life is a movie
Bull ridin' and boobies
Cowboy hat from Gucci
Wrangler on my booty

Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'
Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'

I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I got the

A ballad is defined as "a poem or song narrating a story in short stanzas. " While you are correct that the stanzas and lines are short, It does not narrate a story. There is no continued plot or storyline. It just boasts about what he has but it doesn't actually go anywhere.
sometimeswrong

Con

Ok so we clearly disagree over if the song narrates a story or not. I shall break down my analysis of why i think it does.

At this point it's important we both agree over what we disagree about and the definitions of those things. I want to avoid any accidental or purpose filled snuck premises sneaking their way into the debate (no pun intented)

story1
/G2;st;6;H0;ri/
noun
1.
an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment.
"an adventure story"
synonyms:tale, Narrative, Account, Recital; More
2.
an account of past events in someone's life or in the development of something.
"the story of modern farming"

So the song is accounting for him having the horse in the back, The horse tack is attched and his hat is matte black. (this is clearly an account of imaginary or real people and events told for entertainment) the entertainment being music and the account as perviously pointed out in the song. As you are already aware the fact that the story is told in short stanzas further confirms the point that the song is country music.

The song also accounts for him riding on a tractor, Lean all in his bladder ETC. . .

While i agree he does boast about what he has, However he does infact account for what a story requires him to account for, In able to be a story.

This confirms that he meets the requirements of the instrumental side of country music and the ballads as well because a ballad as you stated and i agreed is a song (check) narrating a story (check) in short stanzas (check).

I feel i must also touch on you stating that the plot and story line doesn't continue. A story doesn't require a lengthy story line to be a story infact that would contradict the point of a ballad being that it must be in short stanzas. . . However i do also see that the song does have a story line, Just one in short stanzas because the song is about taking his horse to the old town road of which he accounts for the moments where his horses are in the back ETC and further more i conclude the story is continued through the song in short stanzas.
policy-debate

Pro

I'm not saying that a story needs a longstanding trilogy of a storyline: but there has to be some action. More than just stating single sentences that don't actually go anywhere.

ac"count
/əG2;kount/
Learn to pronounce
noun
1.
a report or description of an experience.
"a detailed account of what has been achieved"
synonyms:description, Report, Version, Story, Narration, Narrative, Statement, News, Explanation, Exposition, Interpretation, Communiqu", Recital, Rendition, Sketch, Delineation, Portrayal, Tale; More

An account requires the description of an experience. Old Town Road does not describe an experience.

Yeah, I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road - something that he WILL do not that he has done
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I got the horses in the back
Horse tack is attached
Hat is matte black
Got the boots that's black to match
Ridin' on a horse, Ha
You can whip your Porsche
I been in the valley
You ain't been up off that porch, Now
Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'
Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'
Ridin' on a tractor
Lean all in my bladder
Cheated on my baby
You can go and ask her
My life is a movie
Bull ridin' and boobies
Cowboy hat from Gucci
Wrangler on my booty
Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'
Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I got the

All of this describes a single moment, A snapshot, Not the progression of that situation over time. It is not a ballad. It is not country music.