Hadii
vividsket

Only the educated should be allowed to vote.

vividsket has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Hadii

Pro

I'm re-doing this debate again because the last person forfeited.

Voting shouldn't be a right that everyone has, but a privilege that only people that are educated in poltics, and that have finished their education should be given to. If a system like this existed, we can surely avoid electing demogagues, and only people who will benefit the nation.

Good Luck !
vividsket

Con

well this should apply to you as you're clearly a trump supporter. you're the reason the world is about to be blown up, we should have voted for Bernie. I win the debate
Hadii

Pro

First of all, I am not a trump supporter, I think he is a incapable idiot, but he has nothing to do with this debate.

The reason I think only the educated should vote is, so that demagogues, "a political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument", dosen't get power.

One popular demagogue you probably know is Hitler. Because he was a very good at speech, he as you know, managed to convince a majority of the Germans that their problems we're caused by the Jews and he would fix them, he then gets elected. If only Germans who are educated voted, Hitler may have never gained power.
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
Ok, so maybe not a complete education, but at least high school, and there should aslo be some kind of test to see if you are involved and have a basic understanding of the politics and politicians, and that you throughly think about your decision, and not to immediately vote for someone because of their party, or because of their speeches and actually look at their issues and policies.

This also doesn't have to be elitist, as long the government makes sure to provide their people with education, and people going out of their way to educate themselves on matters like these.

Anyways, I'd be happy to debate with you.
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
For real, I won't troll you like vividsket lol.
Posted by Amphia 3 years ago
Amphia
Voting for demagogues has nothing to do with education level. People who only have high school diplomas realized Trump is an incapable President and didn't vote for him. People with masters degrees like everyone on Fox News, who I would consider intelligent but perhaps skewed people, voted for him.

Having a PhD doesn't mean you are less likely to vote a demagogue in. Neither does having a bachelor.

I would like to debate you on this.
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
Plato, the Greek philosopher also gave a good example why allowing everyone to vote isn't the best idea.
He compared the government to a voyage on a ship, and to make a safe trip the ship needs a captain. Who should choose the captain? Random commoners who know nothing about sea travel, or people experienced in sailing and know what it takes to run a ship? Why the experienced sea travelers of course, why should this be any different than electing a leader for our country?
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
People who don't care enough to get an education shouldn't be making decisions that affect the entire country. Anyways, politicians can easily convince people who aren't educated and are easily swayed by words with empty promises, and end up ruining the country. (Hitler and Alcibiades comes to mind.)
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
It's discrimination. How about you only let people with PHDs vote? Then it would be a world run by the elite.