FanboyMctroll
OoDart

Our future generation will be blind and not know how to write with pen

FanboyMctroll

Pro

Blue light from smartphones is destroying peoples vision and with everyone on their smart phones now, We will have a future generation of blind people.

Blue light has been found to disrupt humans circadian rhythms, Making it more difficult for people to fall asleep.

Exposure to blue light can trigger retinal proteins to release molecules that can kill other cells. Cells that can be killed by this process include photoreceptor cells, Which do not regenerate and the absence of photoreceptor cells can lead to vision loss

Keep staring at those smartphones idiots, Once you go blind, I will come in and loot all your belongings and you won't even see me coming LOL
OoDart

Con

While I do believe that blue light does certainly have negative effects, And in EXTREME cases, Can indeed be a factor in causing blindness, I do not think it will lead to the next generation (or other future generations) being blind. Yes, Blue light damages retinals and causes photoreceptor cells in the eye to die, UNLESS you have enough alpha-tocopherol, Which is a form of Vitamin E, Therefore the issue is avoidable. Also, As I can tell by the way you have posted on this website, You clearly look at blue light (You are using a device that emits blue light as you read this! ) and you clearly are not blind. As for how to write with a pen, I personally know a blind person who can write somewhat well with a pen and paper. Assuming sight is the only missing sense in a given person, There is a very good possibility that they CAN learn to write. It may not be perfect, But they can do it.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for taking on this debate.

I have to say I give you a lot of applaud for your positive thinking on this matter. Yes I get blue light too, But I do not own a smart phone, Outside of DDO, I don't use a computer.

As for everyone else, They are on their smartphones for everything, Texting, Looking up stuff,

People aged 16-24 now spend an average of 3. 8 hours a day on their phones, 34 per cent of young people also believe they spend too much time on their phones, And say they want to cut this down. However, This age group still spends significantly more time looking at smartphone screens than any other, With the average use time across all generations being 2. 4 hours per day.

According to the research, The overwhelming majority " 94 per cent " of 16-24-year-olds have a smartphone, And young people open a smartphone app every 15 minutes.

With these statistics we can see how the next generation will be blind, Because currently there is not enough data sample to consider this an epidemic yet, As smartphones have only been around for 15 years so we have no long term effects data available right now, But once it's conclusive it will be too late, Most people will be blind.
OoDart

Con

You have given many very good arguments to show that children, Teens, And young adults spend too much time on their phones, But not how that will lead to blindness. You failed to give a rebuttal for the facts I gave about alpha-tocopherol, And I will state this again.

Alpha-tocopherol is a form of Vitamin E, And when you have enough, The photoreceptor cells do not die due to exposure to blue light.

Here is some more information on this vitamin, As well.
Alpha-tocopherol is found in many foods, Including green vegetables, Nuts, And oils.

As you can see, So long as the next generation(s) continue to eat their vegetables, It will not lead to blindness. Furthermore, It has been shown that the death of photoreceptor cells due to exposure to blue light does not generally happen until the person losing the cells is very old, Due to a loss of Vitamin E.

Yes, People spend too much time on smartphones, However, You have shown no evidence to suggest that this will cause blindness when enough alpha-tocopherol is present.
FanboyMctroll

Pro

You are asking for proof of blindness so I'm going to provide you proof. It's called transient smartphone blindness. Here is the proof of it. Now this is just temporary but the data is a small sample, Teenagers who use their phones now will over time completely destroy their eyes. You mentioned as long as the teens eat their vegetables, Well they aren't eating them. I can show studies that show teenagers are not getting their proper nutrition as most eat deep fried food, Pizza pockets and non nutricious meals as over 50% of the population is now obese. So a poor diet with the combination of excessive staring at your smart phone will lead to complete blindness in the next generation

https://www. Theguardian. Com/technology/2016/jun/23/smartphone-users-temporarily-blinded-looking-screen-in-bed

More proof that the future generation will all be blind

https://www. Independent. Co. Uk/news/health/smartphones-blue-light-blindness-why-eyesight-macular-degeneration-a8485846. Html
https://www. Businessinsider. Com/blue-light-from-smartphones-and-laptops-can-make-us-blind-according-to-study-2018-8
OoDart

Con

Congratulations! You proved my point! Let's quote all 3 articles that you used as sources. Yes, I will be quoting them WORD FOR WORD.

"Although it does not cause total blindness, It can make everyday activities such as reading and recognising faces difficult, " according to Independent. Co. Uk
This quote shows that the blue light does not cause total blindness.

"The scientists found that a molecule called alpha tocopherol, A natural antioxidant found in the eye and body, Stops the cells from dying, " again according to Indepenent. Co. Uk
This is showing that it a very easily avoidable effect.

"The researchers also found that a molecule in our eyes and body called alpha-Tocopherol, A natural antioxidant, Stops affected cells from dying, " according to BusinessInsider. Com - which you also used as your sources showing that this causes blindness.

Finally, The article you used from TheGuardian. Com, Isn't even talking about damage to photoreceptor cells causing blindness. If you read it, This was due to one eye being used to the darkness and the other being used to the light. One eye was covered by a pillow and the other could see the phone. That, Is transient smartphone blindness. Let me quote this article.
"The solution: Make sure to use both eyes when looking at your smartphone screen in the dark, " says TheGuardian.

So no, Smartphones will not lead to the next generation, And really doesn't even have an effect on younger people. In the elderly, However, It can cause VISION LOSS (this is NOT BLINDNESS) which means that they may want glasses or other corrective lenses.

I do not believe you have given a single rebuttal to any of my arguments, You have simply restated what you've already said, And been proven wrong, Three times now.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Look at you, You finally did some research. Did you read about when an anti-oxidant molecule called alpha-tocopherol is present, Which is a form of vitamin E, It reduces the damage caused by blue light and retinal, And prevents cells from dying. Unfortunately, As we age, Vitamin E levels dwindle, And we lose this protection. The progressive destruction of light-detecting cells in the eyes due to prolonged exposure to blue light can contribute to age-related macular degeneration, But at the end of the day extensive blue light exposure is shown to play a role in macular degeneration, It will join several other factors that are already known to influence its development. If not then you should really look into it.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Photoreceptor cells do not regenerate in the eye. When they"re dead, They"re dead for good. And than you will be a blind ball!

The retinal-generated toxicity by blue light is universal. It can kill any cell type. "
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
I do have more which I will provide

Oh wait mom is pulling into the driveway, I have to go. . . . . . . . . .
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Fanboy read this carefully, The sources i used were

Those were the articles that YOU posted in the 3rd part of your debate. They are YOUR sources that i used to disprove YOUR claims. If you have anymore sources you would like to cite, I would be very interested i reading them.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Experts warn we face a global epidemic of blindness if we continue to spend hours you spend staring at a screen.

The high energy light emitted from digital screens is causing irreversible damage to our eyes by deteriorating the retinas.

Damage to the retinas - the light-sensitive layer at the back of the eye - is the biggest cause of central blindness.

'Global epidemic of blindness' on the horizon, Experts warn: Hours spent staring at screens 'will rob millions of their sight decades early'
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Everything you source is FAKE NEWS PROPAGANDA

I don't buy it
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Seriously Fanboy? You are saying that my sources shouldn't be trusted? Do you not realize that the sources i used to get my information were the same sources that you yourself posted in the debate? I literally just copy and pasted your sources onto google and read the article. You are criticizing your own sources, So i guess that means that the "gullible idiot" here is still you.
Posted by OoDart 3 years ago
OoDart
FanboyMctroll. . . I am afraid your 12-year-old brain simply cannot comprehend truth yet. Grow up.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 3 years ago
FanboyMctroll
Your propaganda sources are funded by the telecommunication companies. Verizon, AT&T, Spend million of dollars on research studies showing that cell phones aren't bad, And blue screens will not damage your eyes.

Tobacco companies also spent millions in research studies showing that smoking was not bad and didn't cause cancer in the 1960's

Who's the gullible idiot now Block19, When you are blind in 20 years, I will make sure to stop by to give you your Vitamin E, Your brail book and than I will loot your place when you are an invalid

mic drop
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
Taken from the american cancer societies website. "As noted above, The RF waves given off by cell phones don"t have enough energy to damage DNA directly or to heat body tissues. Because of this, It"s not clear how cell phones might be able to cause cancer. Most studies done in the lab have supported the idea that RF waves do not cause DNA damage. "

It took me a few minutes to find this information.