Hadii
Tambythegiant

PC is better than console.

Tambythegiant has forfeited round #3.
Started: 3/19/2018 Category: Games
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Hadii

Pro

PC is better than console in numerous of ways. I'll let Con start first.
Tambythegiant

Con

Let's be serious, maybe a little kid loves playing games on their phone, tablet or a Gameboy. A Console is better than PC in almost every way but more importantly in the ways that count. I admit I play subnautica and used to play WOW. PC games are fine, or are they?.. Why have consoles dominated the market for years when it comes to games and why will they continue to do so? Simple... Convenience, simplicity, uniformity, accessibility.

1: "Mods and gaming performance:" If I wanted to work part time for free, I'd be an intern at a gaming company. Not be making mods for free that should've been in the game already, or completely destroying the artwork of the game by changing it for aesthetics , or putting around all day waiting for a graphics booster or a mod that is basically a hack or cheat. Mods don't even work properly 99% of the time and can cause more issues than balances, Having too many mods installed can make the game feel like a crappy fan game and ruin immersion completely, as opposed to a breathtaking experience or inviting story.

2. "We play games to unwind" It's a lot easier to relax on a couch or your favorite chair, looking at a TV screen with appropriate eye distance to receptor and the easy to use equipment that you can literally get repaired anywhere in 7-10 days if it breaks down instead of paying a small fortune to some pretend computer tech for essentially doing a reboot and deleting all of your files because they can't figure it out either. Not all computers, and not all TVs, can output or input a signal via HDMI easily.

3. "There's already pay to play, why do computers have to enable the rich only win pay scheme?" Consoles don"t offer hardware choice, which is both a strength and a weakness. Everyone gets the same box for the same price. This means that game developers can optimize for specific hardware, but it also means that everyone has to use the lowest-common-denominator hardware. This allows everyone to be on even footing no matter the income level. And even worse, because the PC is an open platform, there's no ownership and therefore no desire to drive it forward leading to the stagnant list of run and frag games or hack and slash with no innovation we see only on PC.

(Continued from 3) And if that was TLDR; here's the short version: PC gamers will haunt you. They'll emasculate you and your system specs, flame you across obscure message boards, paste your IP address publicly for others to see, and threaten to hack you. (Note: Some may actually succeed in stealing your personal information.)

4. "PC games are more chore than fun." You're playing incredibly long games that are padded by travel time and repetitive missions, or you've a list of online free games, or you're paying for a subscription game, these all end in the same inevitability.... they feel like work. You spend most of your time every day signing in to do what basically surmounts to what feels the same as just another job and you spend your relaxation time.... working for some company that was supposed to entertain you?

5. "Annoying Players" When you're online with other people you're generally just getting harassed by children that think YOUR GEAR IS THE COOLEST AND JUST WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE GAME! Or you're getting trolled by anyone too bored to enjoy the incredibly long and task oriented game you are playing. And most PC games only have hackers on "unpoliced" servers. Steam have Valve Anti-Cheat servers, if you cheat, you get perma-banned.(So they say they are back literally in an hour) at least when I'm trolled on a console game all I have to do is mute their mic and the problem is solved. When you're trolled on a PC game you can loose months of progress through theft.

6. 1. "Crashes" The PC is hugely prone to crashes and freezes making some games nearly unplayable. My friend's Xbox has never crashed on him in the 4 years he's owned it, same for my ps4. I've seen games completely cut out, restart the system, and/or crash the entire computer, which can be especially great if you'd just updated your system and then have to restart the whole process, whereas on console the updates can happens seamlessly a crash only lasts 20 seconds, and usually not only updates and manages itself while it's shut off but also instantly backs up and saves your data to a server.

7. I'm going to run down a list of other reasons because I feel like my points are adding up too quickly,
You can play with friends in the same room.
Consoles are built for sharing the game even if your friends aren't in the room.
Wireless controllers mean I can leave the room and still be playing if I choose.
You can plug a keyboard and mouse into any console.
DRM licenses.
Portability.
People like things easy. No technical skills required.
There are no PC exclusive games.
A lot of Console games support mods now.
Hadii

Pro

Ok, I can easily refute all of these points.

"Why have consoles dominated the market for years when it comes to games and why will they continue to do so?"

League of Legends, a PC exclusive, is the most played game in the world. Also, there are more active steam players than console players.

"If I wanted to work part time for free, I'd be an intern at a gaming company. Not be making mods for free that should've been in the game already, or completely destroying the artwork of the game by changing it for aesthetics , or putting around all day waiting for a graphics booster or a mod that is basically a hack or cheat. Mods don't even work properly 99% of the time and can cause more issues than balances, Having too many mods installed can make the game feel like a crappy fan game and ruin immersion completely, as opposed to a breathtaking experience or inviting story."

Who said anything about making them. There are thousands of mods to chose from online. Downloading mods is also very easy. Most of the time you just have to drag the mod you want into your game's folder if that's too hard for you use Steam Workshop (It comes with Steam) just click on the mod you want, and it downloads for you, that's it! Mods almost always work unless they are very new or you have two mods that do the same thing (this is just common sense). Sure downloading a ton of silly mods and using them will make your game more silly of course, however, there are a lot of games I can't play without mods. Take Fallout New Vegas, for example, amazing story, but has crap gunplay and meh graphics. With a few mods, you can fix all these problems and the game will play perfectly.

"and the easy to use equipment that you can literally get repaired anywhere in 7-10 days if it breaks down instead of paying a small fortune to some pretend computer tech for essentially doing a reboot and deleting all of your files because they can't figure it out either. Not all computers, and not all TVs, can output or input a signal via HDMI easily."

Please give me one example of having to pay a fortune to fix a PC. Unless you're looking up porn or pirating games, your computer will never have a problem. All computers can easily connect to TVs, then use Steam big picture mode, and buy a controller, boom your computer plays exactly like a console, but with the benefits of the PC.

"And even worse, because the PC is an open platform, there's no ownership and therefore no desire to drive it forward leading to the stagnant list of run and frag games or hack and slash with no innovation we see only on PC."

Have you ever heard of indie games? They are some of the most innovative games I've ever seen. Most of them are on PC since it is easier for independent devs to get their games on PC than console.

"PC gamers will haunt you. They'll emasculate you and your system specs, flame you across obscure message boards, paste your IP address publicly for others to see, and threaten to hack you. (Note: Some may actually succeed in stealing your personal information.)"

The PC community is one of the best I've ever seen. They often do giveaways and rush to your help whenever you have a problem. While there may be a toxic player or games with toxic communities most players are very nice and helpful take a look at the PCmasterrace subreddit for example. Also, consoles have games with toxic communities as well. You probably have this stereotype after seeing PC and console players argue, but usually, they only argue because console players were just lying or being ignorant about PC gaming.

"You're playing incredibly long games that are padded by travel time and repetitive missions, or you've a list of online free games, or you're paying for a subscription game, these all end in the same inevitability.... they feel like work. You spend most of your time every day signing in to do what basically surmounts to what feels the same as just another job and you spend your relaxation time.... working for some company that was supposed to entertain you?"

I actually like longer games like the Fallout series, but if you don't like them that's ok. There are tons of different PC games to suit your certain interests.

"Annoying Players"

I already talked about this above. You can also mute players on PC, and about cheaters that really depends on the games anti cheat system. There are tons of games where I never came across any hackers, but something like PUBG has tons of hackers because of Bluehole crappy job preventing them.

Ok, so you are talking about crashes and how often they happen, but this isn't true. Games will crash if they are very old and don't work well with newer hardware/software. They can usually be fixed as simple as dragging some files into your games folder, and if that's too hard for you, you can just use GOG a service like Steam that automatically fixes old games for you. Also if the game isn't developed well its obviously gonna crash. This is true for both consoles and PC. No Man's Sky is an excellent example of this.

You can do this on PC too.

You can do this on PC too.

You can use wireless controllers on PC too.

You can use every controller that ever existed on PC, and kb+m doesn't work that well on a console.

DRM licenses.

GOG, which I mentioned earlier is DRM free.

Portability.

There are small PCs.

Just buy a prebuilt same setup as a console (they've gotten a lot cheaper btw) Also building a PC is very easy, and doesn't require you to be a tech genius.

There are no PC exclusive games.

There are a lot of PC exclusive games, you may not like them but saying there aren't any is a lie. I hate exclusives anyway. I'd wish for every game to be available on every platform, and btw PC can play all XB1 games, emulate most Nintendo games, and PS4 games like Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy are coming to PC.

Not as much as the PC, and there are a lot more mods on PC. Consoles have a size limit and PS4 consoles won't allow mods with their own assets.

I hope my arguments have convinced you that PC gaming is overall better than console.
Tambythegiant

Con

Although it is true with innovation we are bridging the gap between the differences of PC and Console gaming, they are almost identical now you can hook your tv to your pc and your controller to your computer and you don't have to work on mods yourself but you do still have to set and download them to alter your own experience, which is great if you have the time.

However, this still requires technical skills and time, which most people do not have. Kids raised in high schools where they teach on laptops only started 4 years ago,

https://medium.com...

Microsoft actually denied it's users cross play compatibility because they thought if they didn't share they would earn more money, thankfully Sony kept pressing until they caved and everyone was to benefit.

More and more companies are discovering that you can bleed your enemies to death with legal fees whether or not there"s actually merit to your case! They've actually sued hundreds of their own users for "emotional distress" when they leave negative comments about their games.
http://www.breitbart.com...
(ew breitbart... my bad...it was the first one that popped up)
https://www.polygon.com...
https://www.forbes.com...

And as dozens of top game designers have said "With a console, you know everybody is working from the same starting line and has the same hardware, so it allows you to be more creative without supporting lesser hardware. Which while today's PC may be able to run the new COD, so can a 1998 MAC, and they have to design it that way.

So I hope I might be able to convince you, that consoles are better for the future of gaming, socially between player and designer, and for the progress of the hardware itself. Though undeniably I must concede a new age gaming PC will always have higher end performance.
Hadii

Pro

"but you do still have to set and download them to alter your own experience, which is great if you have the time."

I already explained how most mods are as easy to download as downloading a game on PC/Console.

"However, this still requires technical skills and time"

Being unable to drag a file to a folder or pressing a download button is concerning, and if you are talking about setting up PCs, just buy a prebuilt. Same setup as a console. I didn't read the entire article, but I'm pretty sure it's talking about that people don't know how to use newer software or computers in general, but most people who buy a PC just for gaming and maybe some light browsing don't need to be computer genuises. Playing games on a PC is just as easy as a console.

1. Download steam/gog. Search it using Google then press the download button on the webpage. (Seeing how you are on debate.org I think you can do this.)

2. Look the game you want to buy, or play if it's f2p, by using steams search engine, since the majority of people now how to search and type letters this shouldn't be a problem.

3. Once you entered your payment method which you have to do on consoles as well since games aren't free unless you buy physical copies (PC has pyhsical copies too, but they are not as popular. For example, FO4 and GTA V have physical PC copies.)

4. Press download then wait depending on your internet and the game's size.

5. Then press play. The game will then automatically set your settings that will give you the best performance and graphics for your system. IF YOU WANT TO, you can change your settings if you want better performance or better graphics (one reason why PC is better than console).

That's it.
Isn't that exactly what you do on a console. Sure if the game is developed bad and it doesn't work you can fix it, however the difference between console and PC is that you can fix it IF YOU WANT TO while on console you have two options.

Refund

OR

Wait until an update

"And as dozens of top game designers have said "With a console, you know everybody is working from the same starting line and has the same hardware, so it allows you to be more creative without supporting lesser hardware."

Look at the dev for A Way Out. They criticized the PS4 to be limiting to develop for than the PC.

"You want the honest truth? This machine is not so strong as you think, (Gestures to PS4)
This is like a five-year-old PC. If consoles were as powerful as PCs are today, you would see all different games. Most of the work developers put out there is to make them work on consoles." ~ Josef Fares, head of Hazelight Studios (development studio of A Way Out)

"so can a 1998 MAC, and they have to design it that way."

What kind of idiot developer, devolps for a 20 year old MAC, or any MAC in general.

"More and more companies are discovering that you can bleed your enemies to death with legal fees whether or not there"s actually merit to your case! They've actually sued hundreds of their own users for "emotional distress" when they leave negative comments about their games."

Same can be said for console companies.

Sorry you have not convinced me.
Posted by Tambythegiant 3 years ago
Tambythegiant
Yeah I didn't really see an address to the very real issues of demoralizing and emancipating poor people from gaming and enabling elitist dystopian age of gaming. SO I didn't really see a need to respond.
Posted by KasperKid 3 years ago
KasperKid
Although I do love consoles, and have been a raging fanboy for many years now, after playing on a PC, I do have to admit that its way better than consoles when it comes to gaming. That is unless your computer is full of downloaded hentai gifs, then its laggy as hell.
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
:/ looks like your gonna forfeit.
Posted by Tambythegiant 3 years ago
Tambythegiant
No worries on grammar I'll figure it out
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
Sorry for the bad grammar, I rushed after I had to re-write the 2nd round.
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
I had to re-write my second argument because I was first writing it on my phone which I then exited by an accident deleting all my progress. :'( At least it was faster to write on PC because of my keyboard and making it easier to copy past your points. Another reason why PC is better. It's not just for gaming, you can do almost everything on one machine.
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
Hey! that's my job.
Posted by gameprogrammer 3 years ago
gameprogrammer
This is my first post on this website, so I apologize if I'm doing it wrong. Just wanted to address a few flaws in the "Con" argument. The numbers below correspond directly to the round 1 arguments.

1. Mods - you mentioned as a disadvantage, but it is actually an advantage as it brings new life to old games. And if your mod doesn't work properly, you can uninstall it as easily as you added it in most cases.

2. PCs would include laptops, which can be played on a couch, bed, or even the toilet seat.

3. Xbox live subscriptions, expensive consoles, games, and of course, the next generation gaming system in a few years (there are elements to "pay-to-play" in both worlds). Most games have a minimum spec for PC play - if you meet it, you shouldn't suffer significant disadvantages against players on greater spec rigs.

4. This is game specific; not system. There are plenty of short-term, single player campaign type games on the PC. In fact, many of the top-tier games for consoles come out on PC as well these days.

5. Annoying players? Seriously? Have you played Call of Duty on XBox with headsets? There are hackers on both worlds of play, and again, specific threat to your game work/resources is game specific; not system.

6. If your PC crashes often, you might want to have it looked at. Xbox - red ring of death anyone?

7. "You can plug a keyboard and mouse into a console" - yep, and you can plug controllers into PCs. For a basic rig, little technical knowledge is needed as you can buy a PC from your local computer store right off the shelf. And those system exclusive games, will eventually be playable via emulators on any PC.
Posted by Hadii 3 years ago
Hadii
Don't worry I'm going to.
Posted by YERSELF 3 years ago
YERSELF
Please debunk this false info