Ghost468
SilverChariot

Painlessly killing animals isn't immoral

Ghost468 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Ghost468

Pro

I'm unconvinced that the humane killing of animals is wrong because I've yet to examine any evidence that animals can conceptualize life (an ability that's a prerequisite to having a will to live). That is to say, That they actually are aware of things like life, Death and mortality in general as concepts. There's a distinct difference between having instincts that unwittingly lead one to survival, And actually having an idea of life and consciously desiring it.
SilverChariot

Con

OK right, As an opening statement I would like to challenge what the Pro has said on the basis of 'a will to live' can define if it is moral or not to kill something. I would like to challenge this by offering the counter proposal of the weighting of a life is that of future prospects. Right, So today we wouldn't just stab a dude who was asleep or in a coma, And I think that this is based on an awareness of somethings potential to further experience life. Say a new born child is about as conscious as an animal. This kid does not have any concept of mortality etc therefor by the pros logic, It would not be unethical to kill it. Tying this back to animals I think that while an animal may not be as aware as a human it still, Has the potential to experience life. This can be proven to be true because all animals have a 'happy' and 'sad' mechanism in their brain. If something has the ability to 'happy' then it would be immoral to cut this short
Posted by Soran 3 weeks ago
Soran
It doesn't make a difference if they aren't killed 'painlessly'; animals receive sensory input quite differently than we do, So I don't really care.
Posted by FuzzySquid 3 weeks ago
FuzzySquid
I went to Greece for a while, And I was surprised to see so many stay dogs everywhere. They all appear to have no owner and most of then are half dead with scars and infected wounds. In Greece, Animals don't have rights. I see little kids kicking dogs and cats for fun.

But it's not because Greece is a very bad country with no government. No. It's because the people of Greece have a different mindset than the rest of the world. They see dogs just like how we see birds. People there do still have dogs as pets, But they aren't emotionally attached to them. They don't care if they die.

I wanted to share this with you as possibly an interesting argument that you can bring up. Remember that it's not about Greece, It's about people perspective on things. Hope this helps and good luck!