s.simonb
frankfurter50

Part 2 Homework should be banned

s.simonb

Pro

Why does homework have to be banned? Well, because, even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework should be banned because children can spend more time with family, be less stressed out, and have more time to explore other interests. I see children cry, I see children complain, I see parents and/or teachers yell, and I see everyone cranky, tired, upset, grumpy, and all those words that means unhappy. What causes this negativity you ask? The answer is HOMEWORK!!!
Children can spend more time with family if they did not have homework at night. For example, The family could go places, ride bikes, and explore nature. "Banning homework effectively allows children to spend whatever little time they have before bed talking with their parents about their day in school and other topics." (http://greengarageblog.org...)
When it comes to family vacation time, me and my family feel a lot closer together. If I have a ton of homework, I would spend less time bonding with my family. Homework causes stress because sometimes it takes you a long time to finish. Homework also causes lack of sleep meaning that you will stay up late at night working on homework and getting less sleep. Then the next day you can be tired and grumpy and you fall asleep in class. You could get in trouble by your teacher if you fall asleep in class. You can also be too tired to participate in school activities and class then you may get very bad grades. "Homework causes stress in many students. Homework takes time, and it keeps students up late at night getting the work done. The loss of sleep makes it hard to concentrate during class because students are so tired. I once stayed up until midnight and wound up very tired when morning arrived. It was hard to focus on my lessons. As a student, I think sleep is more important than doing homework. Students study during the day at schools and academies, so there is no reason that we have to get homework. Many schools have a one-hour rule, but with multiple classes and each teacher assigning one hour of homework, you end up with hours of work to do at home. Students in advanced levels get even more work than the students in basic classes."
(http://www.debate.org...)
If you have too much homework you do not have enough time for hobbies or other interests like, playing sports or art classes. Having other interests are pretty important. Why? Because, if you have an interest, like pottery for example, and you want to have that job when you grow up, you can get an after school class there and when you grow up, you got the job.
"Most students hate homework with a passion and agree it should be banned. Yet, there are ethical elements making people think twice about giving students assignments to complete at home. Even from a professional view there are reasons why banning homework would make sense. Parents, students, and educators may agree to an extent that such assignments may not be as effective. Why so? There are school districts that already have a ban and claim things have gotten easier." (https://www.tcnjstudentactivities.com...)
Even many teachers believe that homework should be banned because it"s a positive thing. Just think about it. If your child has 3 or 6 homework assignments, then your child not only would they not get to spend time with their families, but will not have time to be a kid. Think about how homework could affect your child in the future when they grow up.
Some people think that homework is necessary because children need more practice and it prepares them for college. Part of the reason from my parent"s point of view of why homework should not be banned is because parents (including my parents) need to know what is going on in the classroom. Parents feel like they need to be more involved in their child"s education. To other parents who want their children to have homework every day, homework is a way that teachers, parents, and students to communicate. Teachers need to be more accountability in the classroom. Not only does homework could improve your child"s handwriting and reading skills, but it is more of a bonding experience. Homework gives you extra practice until your child is becoming confident. But, there are some parents and/or children around the world in different countries and different races who are taking all or most of the fun, positive things about homework and turning it into an actual, physical, negative, and realistic problem which can seriously cause more conflict with one family member to another and becomes less of a bonding experience. If this conflict goes on any longer, parents and children around the world not only will children stay up all night working on homework, but will also become enemies when it comes to homework.
Even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework must be banned because children should spend more time with family, be less stressed out, and have more time to explore other interests.

So, yeah. That is why I hate homework and why it should be banned. And all of what I said is all true. Hell, my sister stood up till 11:30 pm working on homework and only got little hours of sleep. Like, how tired are you if you spend hours of homework and you fall asleep in class? Homework maybe a good thing, it gives you more time to study, but I'm sorry. If other people decide to turn homework into a problem, then it has to be banned. So, for humanity's sleeping hours sake, I think it is best to ban homework. And all I can say is that if you agree that homework must be banned, then your entire family is damn lucky. That is all I have to say.
frankfurter50

Con

I always love these debates about how homework should be banned. They entertain me, since they're simple gripes about something incredibly easy. Still, you seem to have put a lot of work into this, and it seems like your argument is pretty long and drawn out, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try this. Let's have at it, shall we?

If adults believe that homework is necessary for college and career preparation, then they're probably correct. Adults tend to think more clearly than youngsters, especially in matters of education. I think that homework is never difficult once you can grasp the concept presented, and having homework is just as crucial as going to school every day. I think that homework only takes up about an hour at the maximum, and there's still plenty of time after that to go out and enjoy the day. I'm not sure why teachers would be grumpy about giving homework- they don't have to do it. You say people are grumpy because of homework. That does not mean that homework is wrong, it simply means that most people, like yourself, are angry at the concept of thinking when you could be having a jolly time. By saying that everyone is angry about homework, you're committing the logical fallacy of appeal to majority- stating that something is correct simply because most people believe it is correct. You're also committing the logical fallacy of appeal to emotion in your first paragraph, there. Really, study up on your logical fallacies. It'll come in handy some day.

The amount of time homework takes up is no problem if you're willing to manage time effectively and take a little time to learn. I find the twilight hours invigorating, and if you only take about an hour on homework, there's still about three hours or so before the sun sets. You might also try adapting to nighttime activities. Things can be done at night, you know. A healthy bedtime and a good alarm clock are the keys to having a good night's sleep and being prepared the next day. I don't think anything is wrong with homework, considering that there are two days off every week, four breaks in a whole year, and some additional three-day weekends every now and then. Enjoy school while you can, because most jobs have no summer vacation, and longer hours.

That article you posted does mention some pros of banning homework. It also gives some cons, like "less practice" and "less preparation for college". There are pros and cons to everything, and in the case of banning homework, the cons far outweigh the pros. The article also talks about three countries which tried that method- France, Germany, and Finland. But France's ban never went through, due to a public uproar, and the ban was only going to be placed on elementary and middle school students. Germany only has one school which does this, and they lift the homework ban at the ninth grade. Finland does not have a complete homework ban, they simply assign less. In all three cases, the death of homework is never fully implemented. It can be decreased, but it cannot be killed.

Sleep is important, but so is learning, and there is a reason why homework is given. Homework acts as an exercise for your brain. It might be hard to believe, but without homework, you could get bored. Think about it. Isn't homework a fun way to occupy your mind? in addition, many courses are so complex that homework is necessary just to cover all the topics. Many teachers have the bell ring just as they're about to give out an assignment. Sometimes homework is unintentional, because the students wasted time or the class was too short. Really, who can cover calculus in the space of an hour? If teachers are prevented from giving out homework when they need to, then all education will fall behind. In addition, homework has the purpose of showing which students are unwilling to learn and which students are reluctant to put some effort into their grades.

You say that homework diminishes the possibility of participating in fun activities like pottery, art, or sports. I hate to tell you, but many schools have classes for that. They're placed at a lower level of importance than math and English, but they are available once you get to high school. That way, you can enjoy your interests and do homework after school. Haven't you ever heard of art classes or gym? Those classes are designed to be fun!

Parents have the right to know what's going on in the classroom, and when they see their child doing homework, they know that he's a hard worker and he's prepared to do something great in life. I think that homework is a great way for parents and teachers to communicate, and when homework is finished the student can feel an immense sense of satisfaction at a job well done.

Your next paragraph is literally a list of the exact reason why homework should remain intact. Are you trying to lose?

Homework does not need to be banned because students say it should be banned. Homework has been around for a long time, and it's going to stay for a long time. Homework cannot be held responsible for poor sleep routines or negligent behavior. Homework is an absolute necessity and should not be banned. I await your next argument.
s.simonb

Pro

I am going to say this again.

Even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework should be banned becausechildren can spendmore timewith family, be less stressed out, and have more time to explore other interests. I see children cry, I see children complain, I see parents and/or teachers yell, and I see everyone cranky, tired, upset, grumpy, and all those words that means unhappy. What causes this negativity you ask? The answer is HOMEWORK!!!

Children can spend more time with family if they did not have homework at night. For example, The family could go places, ride bikes, and explore nature. “Banning homework effectively allows children to spend whatever little time they have before bed talking with their parents about their day in school and other topics.” (http://greengarageblog.org...)

When it comes to family vacation time, me and my family feel a lot closer together. If I have a ton of homework, I would spend less time bonding with my family. Homework causes stress because sometimes it takes you a long time to finish. Homework also causes lack of sleep meaning that you will stay up late at night working on homework and getting less sleep. Then the next day you can be tired and grumpy and you fall asleep in class. You could get in trouble by your teacher if you fall asleep in class. You can also be too tired to participate in school activities and class then you may get very bad grades. “Homework causes stress in many students. Homework takes time, and it keeps students up late at night getting the work done. The loss of sleep makes it hard to concentrate during class because students are so tired. I once stayed up until midnight and wound up very tired when morning arrived. It was hard to focus on my lessons. As a student, I think sleep is more important than doing homework. Students study during the day at schools and academies, so there is no reason that we have to get homework. Many schools have a one-hour rule, but with multiple classes and each teacher assigning one hour of homework, you end up with hours of work to do at home. Students in advanced levels get even more work than the students in basic classes.”

(http://www.debate.org...)

“Most students hate homework with a passion and agree it should be banned. Yet, there are ethical elements making people think twice about giving students assignments to complete at home. Even from a professional view there are reasons why banning homework would make sense. Parents, students, and educators may agree to an extent that such assignments may not be as effective. Why so? There are school districts that already have a ban and claim things have gotten easier.” (https://www.tcnjstudentactivities.com...)

Even many teachers believe that homework should be banned because it&risqué;s a positive thing. Just think about it. If your child has 3 or 6 homework assignments, then your child not only would they not get to spend time with their families, but will not have time to be a kid. Think about how homework could affect your child in the future when they grow up.

Some people think that homework is necessary because children need more practice and it prepares them for college. Part of the reason from my parent&risqué;s point of view of why homework should not be banned is because parents (including my parents) need to know what is going on in the classroom. Parents feel like they need to be more involved in their child&risqué;s education. To other parents who want their children to have homework every day, homework is a way that teachers, parents, and students to communicate. Teachers need to be more accountability in the classroom. Not only does homework could improve your child&risqué;s handwriting and reading skills, but it is more of a bonding experience. Homework gives you extra practice until your child is becoming confident. But, there are some parents and/or children around the world in different countries and different races who are taking all or most of the fun, positive things about homework and turning it into an actual, physical, negative, and realistic problem which can seriously cause more conflict with one family member to another and becomes less of a bonding experience. If this conflict goes on any longer, parents and children around the world not only will children stay up all night working on homework, but will also become enemies when it comes to homework.

Even though that some adults (including my parents) think that homework is needed for more practice and college preparation, I think that homework must be banned becausechildren should spend more timewith family, be less stressed out, and have more time to explore other interests. Plus, so that children can get their full 8 hours of sleep with no worries. I also am not asking to kill homework. I am asking homework to retire. Because, my dream is for teachers to really help their students without having or assigning homework. Would that be better? So, please. Help your child's education and prove the world that we don't need homework. I am a 15 year old, I am a freshman, and I ask you. Please,, ban homework for the common good. I am a 15 year old and I speak for children, parents, and teachers around the world.

Work Cited

Http://greengarageblog.org....

"5 Homework Should Be Banned Pros And Cons." Green Garage. Nap., 08 July 2015. Web. 06 Jan. 2017.

Should Homework Be Banned?" Debate.org. Nap., not. Web. 06 Jan. 2017.

TCNJ Student Activities." Helpful Homework Writing Tricks For Witty Students. Nap., not. Web. 06 Jan. 2017.

So, sorry, dude. But, just because I cannot kill homework, does not mean that there are other things to do with your education besides homework. I maybe a kid, but I have rights to say that we do not need homework. So, say what you want to say about this argument, but it does not change the fact that homework is tearing my family apart and it has to stop.
frankfurter50

Con

All you can do is repeat your first argument? Sad.