Amphia
UltraMarine

Participation Trophies

UltraMarine has forfeited round #2.
Started: 3/15/2018 Category: Sports
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Amphia

Con

I really dislike participation trophies.

They make kids think that they can be rewarded for doing little to nothing at all. They make children think that there are rewards for not doing your best.

People argue that they make the kids feel good but I'd beg to differ. For one, as a child when my team I received participation awards, we felt disappointed. It was like a consolation gift. Needless to say, they always ended up in the trash.

And two, they destroy incentive to work hard. If I play soccer and I know no matter what that I'm going to get an award, what incentive do I have to do my best?

If we stopped giving out participation awards, kids wouldn't feel good when they didn't get awards if they lost. And that's actually not a bad thing at all. Because now they realize they have to work hard if they want to win.

Sports are competitions, regardless of who is playing. If you want to win, you should work for it. You shouldn't get a consolation trophy.

In the real world, there are no awards for participation.
UltraMarine

Pro

I hate participation trophies they are stupid. I know im supposed to be the con but I still hate them. They trick kids into thinking that they put effort in to something
Amphia

Con

Dude, you just wasted my debate. If you agreed with me, you should have posted a comment...
Posted by John_Eaton 3 years ago
John_Eaton
Yes, as a sports player you have to earn everything in life, including in sports
Posted by Arganger 3 years ago
Arganger
Any time I got one it felt like salt in my wounds.