Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
NoobyIsMe
Ara_Gyonjyan

People Need To Respect Religion

NoobyIsMe

Pro

Okay, So I'm a Christian. I'm a regular human being that believes in a god. Then I post that on some social network and people start saying
"Haha! You idiot, God ain't real! "
"You're a disgrace. You don't believe in (Insert another god)"

Or some people might not believe in a religion and says that online and suddenly people start saying:

"I know you don't believe in anything, But please consider in believing in a god. It'll make you happier and. . . "

It's annoying. You have to respect people's beliefs and leave them be. We can believe in something different but in the end, Were all human beings. It doesn't help to make a person feel bad or someone get annoyed just because they don't believe in the same thing you do.

Please give me a reason why you should get into people's business and try to force them into believing something else.
Ara_Gyonjyan

Con

Sorry, Brother, I thought you were against respecting religion and I accepted the debate without looking at what you wrote. I agree with you 100%.
NoobyIsMe

Pro

NoobyIsMe forfeited this round.
Ara_Gyonjyan

Con

Ara_Gyonjyan forfeited this round.
NoobyIsMe

Pro

NoobyIsMe forfeited this round.
Ara_Gyonjyan

Con

Ara_Gyonjyan forfeited this round.
NoobyIsMe

Pro

NoobyIsMe forfeited this round.
Ara_Gyonjyan

Con

Ara_Gyonjyan forfeited this round.
NoobyIsMe

Pro

NoobyIsMe forfeited this round.
Ara_Gyonjyan

Con

Ara_Gyonjyan forfeited this round.
Posted by DeletedUser 3 years ago
DeletedUser
Nobody needs to respect religion. Religion is purely a choice and is open to criticism just like anything else.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@malus_pudor

I guess I agree. I highly doubt saying someone lacks rationality would help them see your point. In theory you are right. Practically they would think you acting better then them. It is best to ask questions and go from there. Educate and rebut some ideas people might. Some people are not willing to change and guess we have to live with that even if they are wrong. We don't have to live with we have stoop to their level but then we become as bad as them. There will always be bad people in the word I think what rational people can do is not let that drag us down.
Posted by malus_pudor 3 years ago
malus_pudor
A thought. If rationality is the governing precept of thought and objectivity allows us to evaluate concepts without bias, I believe this would equate respect, Then disrespect exists as a response lacking rationality and/or objectivity. . .

Could be too broad of a statement, Some may argue that they can disrespect something because they have given it the due diligence, But then I would wonder why they wouldn't just ignore it or remove themselves from the topic. Instead so many will enter into angry heated debates over just such issues "Is there really always room for Jell-O? I don't think so! " But why so if it is already settled in their mind and why get angry?

Psychologically, We identify anger and hate as secondary emotions, Ie emotions we use to cover up the true expression of our more vulnerable feelings about a topic. Could this be the case when we find ourselves in discourse with someone being disrespectful and offensive?

I'd be curious to hear what anyone thinks.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@luanism

"People are going to believe in whatever crap they want. "
Yes but we can still say whether or not it was informative or who won.

"I believe that people just want answers. "
And they would tend to use anything to get there. Even if belief has not been proven to yield answers but people still believe God exists.

"The answers are within but people just don't know it yet"
Wrong. People are a product of their environment. If you are born in Israel you will be following Judaism. Within me are cells, Tissues and organs. If you meant ideas then everyone has ideas and not all of them have answers which is why people search for the truth in Christianity or Science.

"Truly looking within our hearts to find our purpose in life then we wouldn't have to be worrying about other people's belief systems and then the world would be a happier place with less biases and discrimination. "
So it is subjective then? Purpose. Our purpose in our hearts is targeted to an individual. Not everyone has the same heart not everyone thinks the same therefore from I am getting from you: purpose is subjective. How about beliefs to look down on homosexuals? We are not supposed to challenge that since it is only a belief? I don't think that is the case because people are vocal about their opinions and if people are not challenging their opinions on homosexuals then they think they are right and others who are undecided would lean to that since they are not hearing the opposing argument.

"God is real. "
As if it is proven to be true. God is not real until prove otherwise. The more rational position would be to disbelieve then believe in something.
Posted by omar2345 3 years ago
omar2345
@NoobyIsMe

If you re-upload this I will debate you if you are up for it
One thing I would like to add is can you define religion if you want to create the same debate again?
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
People garner respect not ideas, And religion is just one of many bad ideas.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
People need to respect Santa. The monster under my bed. The purple elephant somewhere in the sky. . .
Posted by luanism 3 years ago
luanism
At the end of the day, People are going to believe in whatever crap they want. Whether it be, The ones who think Earth is flat, Tattoos are okay. . . To bigger issues as to whether or not Abortion is right. . . Religion vs Science. . . And the list goes on. Furthermore, I believe that people just want answers. Exactly like what people go on here to do: to find answers to questions they're unsure about. However, The answers are within but people just don't know it yet. Often times, We'll search & search. . . But then, We end up running in circles endlessly trying to find the "right" answer or, The "only" answer and then we fall. We fall into the "there is only one way" ideology and then it's a vicious cycle of "I'm right & You're wrong". Ultimately, It's about respect like you mentioned. I believe that if we all focused more on bettering ourselves, Truly looking within our hearts to find our purpose in life then we wouldn't have to be worrying about other people's belief systems and then the world would be a happier place with less biases and discrimination. I can go on and on, But I'll just end by saying: God is real. The world is in a bad position because people lost faith. We're lost.