Timnar
JaredFogle

People are Basically Selfish

JaredFogle

Timnar

Pro

Are people basically selfish?

My answer, as you could tell from my position, is yes, people are basically selfish.

1. History
If you look throughout history, specifically tyrannical rulers, revolts, and wars, you'll see that people desire something and are willing to hurt others in order to get what they want. Examples include the Spanish Conquistadors, the Aztecs, Rome, etc...

2. Current Day Events
If you want to see if people are selfish or not, then I want to you to look at the Mainstream news. It's covered with war, tension between counties, and terrorist attacks. A great example would be the civil unrest in the Middle East.

3. Religion
Personal definition of Religion: The quest to find God.
If you look at various religions, including Islam, Christianity, Buddha, etc, you'll find that they agree with me. In fact, you'll see that part of the goal they're trying to reach is to be freed from their own desires. Even Atheistic Evolution (Which counts as a religion under the definition, they say there's no God to discover) says survival of the fittest.

It's clear with these examples that people are naturally selfish, and in order for us to advance in Society, we need to recognize that, which is why a vote for Pro is warranted.

P.S., Just a quick question for the opponent (I'll be happy to answer any questions they may ask). What is your religion/beliefs?
JaredFogle

Con

pizza delivery boy gave us dipping sauce for free and said we could keep it
Timnar

Pro

When I said that people are basically selfish, I don't mean every single action they commit is for their own gain. There are the occasional acts of kindness.

What's really interesting about your argument is that it cost the pizza delivery boy nothing to give you that dipping sauce. If he wanted dipping sauce, he could just go back to the pizza shop and get his own. This actually supports my claim due to the fact that it cost him nothing and it made him look like a better guy. Maybe if he not only gave you dipping sauce but also paid for the pizza you ordered, that would be a selfless act.

My argument supported my claim by showing that that act of kindness cost the pizza delivery boy nothing he couldn't easily replace and, in the end, looked like a better guy.
JaredFogle

Con

Chinese delivery man gave me his house
Timnar

Pro

At this point, you're just trolling. After looking into your profile, it became clear that you don't take debate seriously.

I've given the proper arguments to support my argument and have shown why a pro vote is warranted.
JaredFogle

Con

If people gave you pro vote then theyre not selfish
Posted by Timnar 3 years ago
Timnar
Yes, I agree with you that in the beginning, God made mankind naturally good. But on entering the world, Sin corrupted everything. Life and the nature of man.

"The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time" (Genesis 6:5).

"Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me" (Psalm 51:5).
Posted by dukeofpanda 3 years ago
dukeofpanda
Religiously,at least where Christianity is concerned, the propensity toward selfishness is not mankind's natural state. It's a result of sin, which is very similar to having a disease that affects your actions.

Satan made a similar claim about mankind when he persecuted Job . And Job, though a man born in sin, proved Satan wrong. Furthermore Jesus, a sinless man, also proved Satan wrong thus showing that a perfect person's natural state is not selfish. Mankind is not basically selfish. Mankind, born into sin, are susceptible to acts of selfishness.
Vote Placed by Forever23 3 years ago
Forever23
TimnarJaredFogleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con says that if people are not selfish, they would vote for pro. I am inherently selfish and agree with pro. Therefore, because I am selfish, I vote con.