kevinh21110837
Rebeccacarlson

People should stop reading books and use the internet instead

kevinh21110837

Pro

We are now in the 21st century, otherwise known as the information age. It is without a doubt that we are learning faster than previous generations due to the easily accessible information online. What has caused us to learn faster? Books? Most definitely not. Although books are great for stimulating imagination, when trying to learn things, they are often inefficient and limited to some extent. An example of this would be prior to the internet. If we wanted to know something, we would have to go to the library, flip through the catalog, find a book, and actually flip through it to find the information. However, on the internet, we can easily access numerous different sources at once and find specific information we want by simply clicking ctrl + f. Furthermore, there are various interactive learning sources online to aid us. In a research conducted in 2017, interactive learning is more efficient than simply reading as it actually trains our brain to think the way it's intended to be (and sometimes help with logic). Although one may argue that it's beneficial to allow our brains to wonder during reading and discover, one's brain can often confuse oneself and impede progress.
Rebeccacarlson

Con

As you said, yes, this is the Information Age. However, that is no excuse to let books die off. In any situation, kids will abuse the privilege of having the internet. They play games instead. They learn nothing from these games. One example of such games, is Fortnite. All you do is run around and shoot people. When you use books to research, there is nothing to distract you. No annoying ads, no way to access games, and more. All of this makes books easier to use. You say the books are limited. Books are only limited if you cannot use your imagination. While you get more results on the internet, how many of those sites are trash? Publishing a book costs a bit more money then making a website, so books are generally more reliable. Besides, books are better for entertainment purposes to. As my dear mother always used to tell me, "The bright lights fr9m staring at a screen all day is killing your brain cells." And I agree with her. How else can you explain the drop in the intelligence of young kids.
kevinh21110837

Pro

In what you said above, kids will abuse the privilege of having the internet. However, with proper restrictions using programs provided on the internet, parents will be able to prevent internet abuse. To be honest, if abusing the internet is your main concern, there are numerous monitoring softwares out there that can help you keep an eye on your kids' activities online while doing your own thing. Furthermore, video games are not completely detrimental to kids' minds. In fact, games like Fortnite (fps games) improve hand eye coordination, creativity (ways to create things or beat opponents), and create bonds with friends (if they play as well). Despite the games being extremely addicting, parents should be able to restrict access to those games systematically (this can be seen in many Asian families). Books are indeed great for stimulating our imagination (as I previously mentioned in my first argument), however, they are limited in terms of information. Also, books are not the only way to stimulate imagination, composing this argument improves my imagination/creativity, simply meditating or exercising can also stimulate imagination (when people are bored, they imagine). In addition, despite the number of useless websites on the web, you have failed to account for the number of actually useful ones. When composing a research paper, you would need at least 5-8 books to gather all the information you need and you also need to read through a lot of unrelated information. As I have stated in my first argument, on the internet (on reliable sites), all you have to do is simply click ctrl + f to find specific pieces of information that would aid you in proving your argument (pun not intended). This is much more efficient than flipping through hundreds of pages of information. Your 2nd to last statement that books are better for entertainment is merely a preference. How many people now just binge watch Netflix? Would they say that books are better for entertainment? Finally, your last statement is completely false, the intelligence of young children compared to 50 years ago has been a dramatic increase. The increase is around 3 iq points every decade.
Rebeccacarlson

Con

At my school, we have sites that are blocked. Yet kids still find ways around this and play games. Therefore, these programs don"t necessarily work. Yes, some games may not be killing brain cells, but what about the Walking Dead? What does that do to your mind? Books don"t just stimulate your imagination. For some people who are constantly picked on or just wonder about their lives, books are an escape. I have been reading since I was young. I can"t even fathom a world without books. And I know I am not alone. As you stated above, this debate was improving your imagination. However, you can"t be dead to the world debating as you can reading. Certain books, they take you with the characters. You can feel as though the story happened and that you were there when it did.
kevinh21110837

Pro

My question for you now is, why are you taking such a small sample size? "What about the Walking Dead?". There also many books that are equally useless as the game you mentioned. "Books don't just stimulate your imagination" but "also offer an escape". You do realize that many people also use the internet as an escape from reality right? What you are saying is extremely cliche and said by someone a long time ago. As you said above, certain books take you with the characters and allow the readers experience the story but in the end, it is whether we can relate to it or not. There are also countless movies that brings tears to your eyes, crying because you can almost feel as if it were happening to you. With that said, there are movies and tv shows that offer the same experience as books but sometimes even more emotional.
Rebeccacarlson

Con

I am sorry about my small sample size, I don"t play many video games. Anyways, as you said above "There are also countless movies that bring tears to your eyes, crying because you can almost feel as if it were happening to you. With that said, there are movies and to shows that offer the same experience as books but sometimes even more emotional." This may be true. However, tv shows leave little to the imagination. They show you exactly what happens. When you read, you can almost "see" what is happening in the story. Sure, with a tv show you can try to imagine what happens next, you can also do this with books. What happens next? "...but in the end, it is whether we can relate to it or not." This goes for books and movies. Anyways, thanks for this debate and may the best man win!
Posted by theantiweeaboo 3 years ago
theantiweeaboo
Dang it Rebecca. I agree with you, but your argument is disappointing, to say the least. Those debates looked like you just plopped down and expressed your feelings about the topic without fact-checking anything. And it also seems like you haven't ever watched any form of media or entertainment other than a book because your mother thought bright lights kill brain cells (which makes absolutely no sense). You need to see both sides of the argument instead of talking about how great your side is. I agree with you on this matter, and many other debates you've been in, and I mean well, but seriously, you need to step up your debate game.