Izog109
EStone523

Placing disabled students in special education is discriminatory

Izog109

Pro

Imagine that you are a parent who's child is a racial minority. You enroll them into kindergarten and you find out that your child will be taught in a different classroom and learn different material than his or her peers because of his or her race. You'd most likely be outraged. In the United States there is a large group of children being educationally discriminated against not because of the color of their skin, But because of the way their brains function.

I was diagnosed with high-functioning autism and have been taught using special education services from a young age. Recently I've noticed a disturbing trend of how special education students are treated. The majority of them primarily stay in a separate classroom than general education students. I personally was able to attend regular classes but I still received special education services such as having a para-proffesional in the classroom with me despite the fact that I didn't need the services. Because of it, I often struggled to make friends and have meaningful interactions with other students.

Even extra-curricullar activities are segregated for special needs students. There is a program at my school known as unified sports where special education students play alongside general education students who are supposed to assist them. Why can't special education students just play on the regular sports teams? Unless they have a physical disability they should be able to. Not only that, But the schoolwork special education students are given is often far behind in terms of difficulty and grade level. I've seen elementary school level worksheets be given to special needs students in high school. Some are even labeled as "3rd grade math" or something along those lines. The school should be preparing the students for college and employment as they would general education students. If you give students work that is literally eight years behind their grade level, They'll be completely unprepared. I understand that some students learn at different paces and need easier work, But the curriculum should be designed to grow their skillset and become better students, Which special education in it's current form does not do. Lastly, There have been proposed models for what is known as inclusive education which teaches special education and general education students in the same classroom with the same curriculum and studies have shown that students in both groups preformed better than when they were separated.

Special education is a condescending, Outdated system that doesn't properly educate children and makes disabled students feel less valuable than their peers.
EStone523

Con

I believe that special education classes for intellectually and developmentally disabled students are imperative to help them not only get through school, But flourish in school. Being a person with severe hearing loss as well as ADHD, I benefited greatly from the extra help offered not only while I was in high school, But now that I am in college as well. While I feel that the special education system, Like most systems, Could be better in some ways, I also believe without a doubt that if we throw out special education classes and accommodations, Students with intellectual and developmental disabilities would not be able to have the same opportunities to flourish and thrive inside and outside the classrooms.

Working as a Support Specialist ('SSR') in residential homes for St. John's Community Services has taught me a lot about disabilities big and small. If there's one thing I've learned, It's that everybody, Disability or no disability, Wants to be able to live the best life they can possibly live. Special education is not discriminatory because it's main purpose is to help disabled students succeed in the classroom. By it's very nature modern special education cannot be discriminatory.

Take this example: My niece, Who also has autism, Is enrolled in the special education program at her school. Everyday, She is able get the extra one-on-one help she needs to learn fundamental skills such as writing and speaking in complete sentences, Reading, And socializing with others. Without the extra help offered to her through the special education program at her school, She would not have the same opportunities to learn in a way that works for her. Just like how some people are visual learners or auditory learners, She learns best when offered one-on-one help in a quiet environment away from everyday distractions that people without disabilities wouldn't even notice.

Because my niece does require extra time to learn skills, However, She is technically 'behind' in her class compared to her non-disabled peers. But how do we determine if someone with a disability is behind? Why would we base their progress off of the progress of non-disabled students? I first started receiving special help in middle school after being diagnosed with severe bilateral conductive hearing loss; I received even more help in high school when I was formally diagnosed with ADHD. Receiving that extra help meant that I was taught stuff at a slower pace and was 'behind' the other students, But by the time I graduated I had managed to receive some of the highest ACT scores in my school and graduated in the top 20 in my class. I wouldn't have achieved that though if someone had not taken the time and patience to teach me how to learn at a pace and in a way that was effective for me and my disabilities. This is why I believe that special education is not discriminatory.
Izog109

Pro

Izog109 forfeited this round.
EStone523

Con

EStone523 forfeited this round.
Izog109

Pro

Izog109 forfeited this round.
EStone523

Con

EStone523 forfeited this round.
Posted by EStone523 3 years ago
EStone523
I also was a part of my high school"s special education classes and I am using special education accommodations right now and I would love to accept your debate. I believe special education is needed for students with intellectual, Developmental, And even sometimes physical disabilities.
Posted by WrickItRalph 3 years ago
WrickItRalph
Are you arguing for no special ed at all? LIke just throw them in with the student population without any extra help? I just want to know so I don't accept under the wrong conditions.