Peter_10
rainya1

Predeterminism

Peter_10 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Peter_10

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance only
Round 2: Arguments (no rebuttals)
Round 3: Counterarguments/rebuttals and concluding sentence (no new arguments)

Predeterminism is the idea that all events are determined in advance. Predeterminism is the philosophy that all events of history, past, present and future, have been already decided or are already known (by God, fate, or some other force), including human actions. (https://en.wikipedia.org...)

I believe that everything is predetermined.
rainya1

Con

Free will is the idea that we have the ability to chose, or decide, when presented with options. Let's say someone offered you a salad and a pizza, and you chose the pizza. Your brain has made a conscious decision to eat the pizza, meaning you could have chosen a salad. (https://plato.stanford.edu...)

I will be arguing for free will, although I am a skeptic.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
Predeterminism is the idea that all events are determined in advance.[1][2] Predeterminism is the philosophy that all events of history, past, present and future, have been already decided or are already known.
= 1-6 om a dice. Otherways it would not be a dice as we know it.
= a-z on a human. Otherwise it would not be the human as we know it.
Posted by Furyan5 3 years ago
Furyan5
When you throw a dice, the number it lands on depends how you hold it, how you throw it, how much spin you put on it, which edge hits the surface and the weight of the dice. These factors determine which number faces up. Predeteminism does not mean predictable. It means the outcome is based on prior events.
Posted by canis 3 years ago
canis
Throwing a dice has a predetermined outcome..But the variations are 6...We might have none...We chose a mumber..
Posted by TheBenC 3 years ago
TheBenC
Some parts of life are definitely predetermined. Look at evolution for example. The best mutations produce the best traits which thrive while the worst mutations produce the worst traits which struggle to survive. It was predetermined that humans would be able to see. This is a huge evolutionary advantage over blind people. Animals of all kinds were destined to have a sense of sight. Evolution is in itself predetermination.
Posted by MagicAintReal 3 years ago
MagicAintReal
I won't debate this...I will debate this...I won't...oh I guess it's already been decided what I'll do, so why bother trying to decide?
Posted by Conspiracyrisk 3 years ago
Conspiracyrisk
Do you believe predeterminism applies to major events only, or every event?
Posted by Deonatus 3 years ago
Deonatus
Do you believe that predeterminism is in conflict with the concept of free will?
Posted by Peter_10 3 years ago
Peter_10
And silly me. I thought it was just a typo.
Posted by Peter_10 3 years ago
Peter_10
Posted by Peter_10 3 years ago
Peter_10
Too bad we can't have a debate about the topic.