Brendonian
Phil-E-CheeseSteak

Pride Month is Useless

Brendonian has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Brendonian

Pro

Pride Month doesn't have a purpose by this point. I don't see the point in celebrating just one aspect about people that doesn't really matter. It's secondary at best, And it shouldn't constitute your identity. There's no month for straight people, Nor is there a month for white history, Nor is there a month for men. Why are there months for minorities? In America at least, They're not oppressed anymore. They're accepted as people in our society. So why should we celebrate Pride Month? It just doesn't make much sense, Especially from a group perspective, Which is the only thing Pride Month is good for at this point. It only celebrates a group of people, Which in a progressive world we wouldn't have. I would prefer to celebrate individuals and their accomplishments instead of who they want to have sex with. It's superficial, And it's fine if you're proud of who you are. That's great. But you don't need a month to do it, Nor do you need everyone else to celebrate with you.
Phil-E-CheeseSteak

Con

On a personal level, I agree with some aspects of what you're saying, I really don't like it when people take some inherent aspect about themselves that they have no control over and turn it into the entirety of their identity, And I do think it's better for people to focus on their individuality and personal accomplishments more then just allowing themselves to be lost in a greater group identity. However, I don't think any of this means Pride Month has no purpose, And is instead more of a conversation on how people of any group can and do allow themselves to get lost within a larger conglomerate identity. Your points about there not being a month for straight people, How there is no white history month, Or month for men are all kinda just non-sequiturs, We don't focus on these things because throughout the majority of history these have been the cultural norms and majority power holders, Most grade through high school history classes are mainly focused on European and American history, Men didn't face the same battle for their civil rights as women did, And straight people didn't and don't face the same battles against discrimination as members of the LGBTQ community have. One of the main points of most of these celebratory months are as commemorations to the struggles these minorities have face throughout history. For example, Pride month is in June as a commemoration of the stone wall riots which were a series of spontaneous demonstrations by the LGBTQ community against a police raid in June of 1969 and are widely considered as the most important event leading to the gay liberation movement. You can think of it similarly to how we celebrate independence day in honor of our fight for independence even though we aren't still fight for our countries independence today. Your point about gay people not facing oppression any more is fundamental untrue, While of course things have gotten a lot better, At least in america and most other 1st world countries, There are still significant issues the LGBTQ community face that the general population doesn't. 1 in 5 trans people are homeless and 1 in 10 of those same trans people are homeless specifically because they were kicked out of their homes on the bases of their gender identity, 44 percent of lesbians and 61 percent of bisexual women experience rape, Physical violence, Or stalking by an intimate partner, Compared to 35 percent of heterosexual women, And 40 percent of gay men and 47 percent of bisexual men have experienced sexual violence, Compared to 21 percent of heterosexual men. We can also point to the gay wedding cake debacle that was circulating the news (where a bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple), The fact that our president put into action a trans military ban despite the fact that there were already policies in place surrounding trans people entering the military and physical/ health restrictions that prevented trans people from being a heavy liability in the field, And that gender identity isn't a protected class under the federal listing as examples of legal and legislative issues the LGBTQ community are currently dealing with. This concept becomes even more flawed when you remember that pride month is not only in relation to LGBTQ people within first world countries but also a time of solidarity when it comes to the fact that in a lot of other countries like Saudi Arabia, Where being gay is illegal and can lead to you being executed, LGBTQ rights are extremely limited if not non-existent. This is all basically to say that pride month definitely still has a purpose and the LGBTQ community definitely still faces oppression today both in and outside of the United States. (Stats are taken from the CDC, NCTE, And NHCHC Links: https://www. Cdc. Gov/violenceprevention/pdf/cdc_nisvs_victimization_final-a. Pdf, Https://transequality. Org/issues/housing-homelessness, Http://www. Nhchc. Org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/in-focus_transgender_sep2014_final. Pdf )
Brendonian

Pro

Very well. I see your point, And while I don"t understand the need of a month for one minor value about someone, Your analogy was perfect. I suppose I can sympathize with their fight for recognition, And after doing some research, I"m convinced you"re right. I concede.
Phil-E-CheeseSteak

Con

Oh cool, I appreciate the fact that you're willing to rethink your position on the point, That's more then I can say for a lot of people. Once again, I think your core point about people turning one inherent aspect about themselves into their entire identity is valid, I just think that it's validity points to a different conversation that should be had about conglomerate thought and and how people often tend to fall into a overall group identity as opposed to developing their own individual one. An interesting discussion and problem to be sure, Just not one that I would argue has any real connection to pride month being useless. Stay safe out there buddy.