Bella_Is_A_McChicken
Nartnod7875

Quizlet is better than Kahoot

Bella_Is_A_McChicken

Pro

Quizlet is better than Kahoot as it provides us, the students or learners, much more thorough and personal access to study sets we feel we're behind on or need to revise on. Kahoot, however, is fast paced and does not explain the answer or why you got it wrong. Because of this, you don't truly learn anything.
Nartnod7875

Con

Sup. Heres my argument as to why Kahoot is better than Quizlet.
Both Quizlet and Kahoot have been my old friends throughout my school years. But I must confess, one was a more positive influence than the other. They contrast on how they affected my learning and my work ethic. Kahoot is an effective way in challenging the students' mind whilst being a very fun activity, whereas Quizlet is a metaphorical pair of crutches that students use to cheat, be lazy, or as a last minute tool.
Kahoot may be fast paced, but that feature actually helps the students by weeding out the ones who are lacking in performance; the teacher can then decide whether or not to begin the assessment or postpone it. By mimicking a real assessment or a pretest/quiz, students will be more prepared and more confident in taking the test.
Bella_Is_A_McChicken

Pro

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to debate me - I am very honoured to have gotten someone this quickly. Now, onto my arguments. You have stated in your argument that "Quizlet is a metaphorical pair of crutches that students use to cheat, be lazy, or as a last minute tool" but how is this so? Quizlet, like Kahoot, is a website that we use specifically for the purpose of learning a certain topic, so if you insinuate that using Quizlet is cheating, then wouldn't using Kahoot be cheating too? Secondly, Quizlet also offers you specific sets that refer particularly to what you've been learning & what is soon to be in a test or quiz. The fact that Quizlet is slow-paced & can apply to each student individually is a much more effective way for them to learn their strengths & weaknesses. As a result of this, students will get better results as they're not simply playing a short game on a topic, but rather, are studying it more thoroughly & personally - each to their own abilities.
Nartnod7875

Con

Let me further elaborate on why Quizlet is a handicap for lazy students. I have a tendency of being anecdotal, so bear with me. Kids at my middle school and now highschool have been leaning on Quizlet for years. When a teacher hands out a worksheet, instead of analyzing the question and figuring out what the answer is, the students pull out their smartphones, types in "quizlet" on the web, and copy off the answers. Do you think that's a good method of teaching students? It's not even considered teaching, as the website only gives answers and definitions rather then offering information that's essential to stimulate the cognitive thinking of students. In short, Quizlet teaches you what to think, not how to think. Sure, quizlet might be a good source for studying, but students are forced to remember the exact terms and answers; they would be better off with being taught by the teacher and equipped with crtical thinking. Kahoot, on the other hand, is an excellent platform for free thought
Bella_Is_A_McChicken

Pro

To start off, you have explained that when your teachers hand out a worksheet, the students "pull out their smartphones, types in "quizlet" on the web, and copy off the answers", and while this is not a good method of teaching, it is not Quizlet's fault, but rather, the teacher's fault. If this happens, it just means that class management may need to be incorporated into the school.

Secondly, in Kahoot, students are rewarded on not only whether or not their answer was correct but also their speed. This means that many students will only be looking to get an answer swiftly and when they do happen to get it right, it's due to luck and not their actual knowledge of the answer. With Quizlet, however, you have various different ways in which you can study better. An example is the Gravity game, where you can compete with other students in a way where you can't just guess the answer. Why? Because you need to manually type it in - this strongly helps the students to study more efficiently.
Nartnod7875

Con

I think there is till some confusion going around this part of my argument. Probably because my evidence was too subjective. I was stating the fact that there is no work ethic behind Quizlet. Students love Quizlet because it spoon feeds them the exact answer to the questions. Quizlet's like the smart nerdy kid in class who seems to know everything, except that he does know everything, and everyone walks up to him for answers. You said that Quizlet is good for upcoming tests, that it's good studying material. Leave that to the textbooks. If you think students use Quizlet to study, you have'nt been used Quizlet for what it's supposed to be according to the majority of kids. Quizlet is one of the many aspects of school that don't prepare you for college. College curriculum is not applicable for Quizlet. Kahoot actually trains your mind and sees what you know which is why it is fast paced. Under pressure truth emerges. Because what you actually know is what you'll be using on the test.
Posted by Bella_Is_A_McChicken 3 years ago
Bella_Is_A_McChicken
Ah, I guess we'll see the results on October 9th then. :O
Bella_Is_A_McChicken
Thank you~!
Posted by Nartnod7875 3 years ago
Nartnod7875
Thanks. You did well at debating this topic. Welcome to debate.org
Bella_Is_A_McChicken
I would just like to say thank you to the Contender, Nartnod7875, for joining this debate with me. As my first debate on here, it was an honour to discuss this topic with you - I believe you brought forth some good points and rebuttals, so overall, I'm impressed with your debating skills. Good luck! :)