FordKareem
Thej-Mallu

Rape Culture: Real or Myth?

Argument Due
We are waiting for Thej-Mallu to post argument for round #3. If you are Thej-Mallu, login to see your options.
Updated: 2 days ago Status: Debating Period

FordKareem

Con

I'm opening the floor to anyone who can convince me that rape culture isn't a myth; otherwise, My stance remains that it is indeed not real.
Let's analyze the term "Rape Culture". A culture, By definition, Is a way of life. Rape is not a way of life, It is a heinous crime that can't be ignored. If there was such a thing as rape culture, Rape wouldn't be illegal. Sexual misconduct wouldn't be illegal. Sexual harassment would not be illegal. Rape culture is something that was made up by Liberals, And it must be addressed.

I would understand if this matter was in first world countries/areas such as the Middle East, Because Islam is a faith known for the degrading of women physically, Verbally, And psychologically. But the question is, Does it exist in America? No. It doesn't exist in America. Rape is illegal here in America, That can be served any punishment by law, Depending on where the crime took place. Like Ben Shapiro, I believe rape should be punishable by death, Because forcing a woman to have sex with you is morally wrong, And, Again, It should NEVER be ignored. However, As a moderate/independent, I agree with the conservatives when they say that the liberals create terms and labels, Like rape culture, Against certain groups that ultimately creates a bad representation of the country as a whole. While, There is rape, There's no rape culture, At least not in America.

Again, If you can convince me that I'm wrong in this matter, You have my utmost respect.
Thej-Mallu

Pro

When we talk about "rape culture" we are talking about the normalization of rape in America. I agree that rape should be punished and that it is a heinous crime, But I also believe that even though it is illegal in America (and it is legal in almost every country as well).

Throughout the course of the debate, And as the rounds progress I will present my various arguments.

My first argument will be the normalization of a culture that promotes male supremacy, Which in turn creates a culture in which female sexuality is repressed, Which in turn creates a culture in which victims are repeatedly blamed.

My second argument will be the various movements in America, With special regards to the short-lived #hetoo movement and the casting couch in the entertainment industries.

1) The first thing we need to understand is that rape is a crime of power, Not a crime of sexual desire. Rape is not only restricted to "forcing a woman to have sex with you" but is also the forced sex that pedophiles have with children, Not only little girls but also little boys. So what does this have to do with rape culture? Women have been told that they are not to have sexual desire or show their sexual desire outwardly. What does this lead to, This means that men are pressurized to "score women" and women are in turn blamed if this goes awry.

A man who sleeps with many women is called a "player" and is considered to be the epitome of masculinity and is immortalized by Hollywood in their portrayal of "Playboy" protagonists, This is without even discussing the company known as "Playboy". Whereas women are repeatedly and categorically "slut-shamed" for sleeping with multiple men.

Victim blaming is prevalent across the globe. In Ireland, A defense lawyer justified his client's sexual assault allegation by stating "She was wearing provocative underwear". It is also seen in the USA, Where multiple people have made such comments.

Let us take a look at the famous trial of the Larry Nassar, A sports doctor accused (and proven) of abusing gymnasts. And then what was the response by the community, And the USA Olympics association? A proposal to ban leotards. Aly Raisman herself has stated that this is victim shaming. How? The public has put the blame on the style of clothing, Which should not even be taken into consideration.

If required I will give more examples next round along with the second argument.
FordKareem

Con

You have made some valid points, But you have also made some invalid points as well. I'm going to quote each paragraph entered and give my rebuttals on each.

You first said that "When we talk about "rape culture" we are talking about the normalization of rape in America. I agree that rape should be punished and that it is a heinous crime, But I also believe that even though it is illegal in America (and it is legal in almost every country as well). "

America has never normalized rape. If we were having this debate in the early to mid-20th century, Then I would agree with you, However, In post-2018, Upcoming 2019, America hasn't been normalizing rape, Nor sexual assault, Since before the rising of #MeToo and #TimesUp. If we would be normalizing it, Then we would be getting closer and closer to the legalization of nonconsensual sex and sexual assault. I believe, And you can correct me if I'm wrong, That you say we're normalizing this because we haven't seen accused persons of the crimes actually convicted and sentenced, And if we have, It wasn't a feasible sentence/conviction, Yes? I think that hasn't been happening more significantly because there hasn't been a significant amount of evidence to prove that one actually did commit the rape or assault. There have been majority matters of cases such as these were it was only a he-said, She-said situation, Resulting in either the dismissing of the case or the non-guilty verdict of the case. Not convicting one due to lack of evidence is not equal to normalizing rape or sexual assault. We can't convict someone without reasonable cause, And that reasonable cause would have to be up-to-date evidence.
Also, I think you may think this because there were cases where the statute of limitations was brought in to play. There have been cases where it was obvious the convict was guilty, However, The system couldn't convict him due to the statute of limitations. This is obviously an unfortunate result, However, They do have rights, And we can't refuse them that. It's unfortunate, Yes, But it's not normalizing rape.

You later presented your first argument: "My first argument will be the normalization of a culture that promotes male supremacy, Which in turn creates a culture in which female sexuality is repressed, Which in turn creates a culture in which victims are repeatedly blamed. "

There's no such thing as male supremacy; nor is there such a thing as male privilege (if there's a difference).
Like women, Men are raped too, And often times there's been sexism against the men because people find it hard to believe that a seemingly large built man was held down by a woman and forced to have sex with her. Men and women equally suffer the same crimes; we just don't see it as often as we should through the press system(s).
You also went on about female repression and how it basically started rape culture, And how victims are "blamed. "
Let's make something clear before I say this; no man, Nor woman should hold ANYBODY against their will the have sex with them. It's wrong, And shouldn't go unpunished. With that being said, There are some things a woman should and shouldn't do in order to avoid the possibility of being assaulted. For example, Wearing exotic/revealing clothing are primary examples to what you shouldn't wear when going places like bars or parties. This can tempt a pervert to sexually assault you at the very least. You also shouldn't go to a random man's house or hotel room for drinks, Because there's the possibility that he could purposefully intoxicate a woman so he can have sex with her. There are things you should do, Such as elaborate that you don't want to have sex, You can possibly lie and say you're in a relationship, You could even carry a weapon like a pocket knife or mace if pursued. Even though in the end result, It's mostly the man's fault for raping a woman, It's partially the woman's for not thinking of possibilities like these, And not taking the proper measurements to avoid a situation like that. It's just some thing's to keep in mind.

You're second argument: ". . . The various movements in America, With special regards to the short-lived #hetoo movement and the casting couch in the entertainment industries. "

I believe the movements had the right mind, But the wrong approach, Ultimately resulting in me not giving them my support. The #MeToo movement has shown to not give men who have been falsely accused a say in a situation, And they totally disregard him, And show all regard to the woman, Despite being proven a liar. The entertainment industries are now being revealed as places most likely for sexual assault to happen, We've seen that first hand with Harvey Weinstein, However, This has portrayed the industries as bad areas, Giving future careers a screeching halt. #MeToo doesn't pay attention to the damage they cause in situations like these, And it's dangerous for them, And for ordinary people.

"The first thing we need to understand is that rape is a crime of power, Not a crime of sexual desire. Rape is not only restricted to "forcing a woman to have sex with you" but is also the forced sex that pedophiles have with children, Not only little girls but also little boys. So what does this have to do with rape culture? Women have been told that they are not to have sexual desire or show their sexual desire outwardly. What does this lead to, This means that men are pressurized to "score women" and women are in turn blamed if this goes awry. "

Rape is a crime of sexual desire, Just like it is a crime of power as well. There are different rapists. Some do it for power, Others do it reduce the urge, And some do it as revenge. Nevertheless, It's both for sure. It's also simply untrue that women were told that they couldn't express sexual desires, Or express them outwardly. We see that every day when we walk past a couple openly making out without shame. That's a verbal example of expressing sexual desire. This is where I ask for a source supporting that claim because that seemed like nonsense. Women are not always blamed for the outcome of sexual encounters all the time; it's not a trendy thing for men to do on a day-to-day basis. If this was true, I could easily say that women pressure men into having sex with them, And it's often been seen as nothing related to a vice-versa situation. Proof: https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=9uccExOPMrI

"A man who sleeps with many women is called a "player" and is considered to be the epitome of masculinity and is immortalized by Hollywood in their portrayal of "Playboy" protagonists, This is without even discussing the company known as "Playboy". Whereas women are repeatedly and categorically "slut-shamed" for sleeping with multiple men. "

This simply isn't true. Nowadays, Men who sleep with a large number of women are not condoned, Or referred to as "Players"; instead, They're called man-whores, And are ultimately not acknowledged. A proper result to someone who can't keep it in his pants. A woman is only slut-shamed if she slept with a large number of men. A slut by definition is
a woman who has many casual sexual partners. It goes both ways. A woman won't be slut-shamed for having sex with one or two men. That's not how it works, And those who do aren't the majority, They're the minority.

"Victim blaming is prevalent across the globe. In Ireland, A defense lawyer justified his client's sexual assault allegation by stating "She was wearing provocative underwear". It is also seen in the USA, Where multiple people have made such comments. "

Like I said before, There are some things a woman should and shouldn't do to avoid rape. If she was wearing provocative clothing, Then her chances of getting sexually assaulted just skyrocketed. That's why it's illegal for women, And men to walk around nude in public. It's not just because it's simply disgusting, But it's for the protection of both genders, Especially women, Knowing that a woman's body structure, Statistically, Is more attractive than mens'. He shouldn't have raped her, And I hope he was convicted, However, This might've been avoided had she not have worn what she worn. That's just the truth.

"Let us take a look at the famous trial of the Larry Nassar, A sports doctor accused (and proven) of abusing gymnasts. And then what was the response by the community, And the USA Olympics association? A proposal to ban leotards. Aly Raisman herself has stated that this is victim shaming. How? The public has put the blame on the style of clothing, Which should not even be taken into consideration. "

I'm a Michigander, So this trial hit me hard especially, Knowing that evil like that lasted that long in my state, But in regards to what you said, Again I have to disagree. Those who were "shamed" weren't shamed by most people. You forgot to mention that proposal was quickly denied, Knowing that there was proof of his crimes. That's why he serves a massive amount of life sentences for his crime. Again, A misconception argument.

I think there should be more research involved in you're rebuttals, Otherwise, They can be easily reversed. I'm appreciative of you accepting the challenge, And I hope your response is swift.
Thej-Mallu

Pro

Thej-Mallu forfeited this round.
FordKareem

Con

FordKareem forfeited this round.