Tentak
Wimhoff

Recent Bandai Namco Gundam Video Games should not be given positive reception

Started: 11/10/2018 Category: Games

Tentak

Pro

First time debating.

I believe that Bandai Namco's newest Gundam related video games such as Battle Operation 2 and Gundam Versus should not be positively accepted here in the west. This is because of the DLC, Gacha system, And the laziness in the games.
Unfortunately I do not have Battle Operation 2 and have only played very little of battle operation next, But from what I have seen so far the game seems to be quite anti consumer and lazy. While this game is only the third installment of the series, (third being Battle Operation Next), It does not seem to have made many or any changes from the previous installments and seems to have a system where you roll for what you get. I believe this is very poor service as the people playing the game must gamble to get the suits they want. I will admit the game seems to look better, But the graphics are still hilariously poor.
Next is Gundam Versus. I have played gundam vs gundam next plus on my psp endlessly and loved it to bits, And I still do. I won't disagree, Gundam versus seems to have improved from it's predecessors with the updated visuals, Polished gameplay, And the addition of a new mechanic. They all seem very interesting. However the problem I have with this game is with the DLC. Each DLC character costs 5 dollars and with a total of 26 dlc add-ons, That adds up to 130 dollars if you want to buy all the addons. That is MORE THAN DOUBLE the price of the base game! Not only this but God gundam is a DLC character. God Gundam was a staple character in the series, But now he is blocked behuind a paywall.
The roster in the base game of Gundam versus is quite large, With many new mobile suits from newer series, And stranger editions like the rock zaku. Despite all this, Some mobile suits have been excluded such as X-wing gundam, Adn again the horrendous act of locking god gundam behind a paywall. All these together give Gundam Versus has bad reputation with it's unreasonable paywalls, Removal of x-wing series and possibly other mobile suits from the previous games. A similar outcry was given by a player in Hong Kong where they complain about the lack of modes, Characters, Poor graphics, And other problems. (video in cantonese) https://www. Youtube. Com/watch? V=1l2qHMypm-c

And of course gundam breaker, I have yet to see much of the gameplay but judging from the community reception, It seems to be a low quality game.

TL;DR
This tells me that the most recent Gundam Video games have been nothing but a cash grab and an attempt to exploit the most loyal of the gundam fanbase in order to make the most profit by producing a poor, Cheap product. I believe the new gundam games are disingenuous and should not be supported.

Feel free to call me out
Wimhoff

Con

Without these gundam games, Nobody would even remember what they are. Gundams are dying out.
Tentak

Pro

Gundam may perhaps be dying out but these anti-consumer practises aren't exactly helping.

If games based on Gundams continue to deteriorate in quality then that will drive potential fans away. Right now, If we keep supporting these games, They may either stop producing games completely or change direction (which is unlikely).

Right now, Gundam is relying mostly on Gunpla and somewhat on the anime, And that industry is keeping Gundam relevant and afloat. In the aspect of video games, However, Gundam is not faring well and while there are potential in these games, If Bandai Namco (or perhaps another company) doesn't bring anything new to the market that isn't a gacha, Obnoxious paywall, Or slight upgrades here and there, I believe they should not be taken positively.

If you watched the video (which is fine if you didn't since it's not in english) you can see that he is not afraid to point out problems and anti consumer practises, And I am sure there are japanese people who do this as well. This is because these games are catered towards an Asian market, But here in the west we should not change our own standards because of that. Standards are standards, And we should not be grateful for the little bandai Namco have done for us.

We should not let our standards drop just because it's Gundam, We should keep them as high as we would with other video games in the market. Bandai Namco is a triple A developer and publisher, So they wouldn't be short of creating quality games. In fact I believe we should take our standards higher, And expect more from them as they are a big company.
Wimhoff

Con

Wimhoff forfeited this round.
Tentak

Pro

Wait what, Why did you forfeit.

also I realised my argument last round may not have been exactly the most coherent so let me crystalise it in the meantime.

I believe that Gundam as a franchise is holding itself up with their Gunpla and anime so it's death isn't tied to the video games. Video games are not the main reason which grab gundam fans, But if Gundam as a franchise wants to get people who play video games into gundam, They should make a great game whcih would catch everyone's attention.

At this rate, However, The anti-consumjer practices and laziness is very coherent and would not bring many fans from the video game market. This should not be rewarded with positive reaction, Even if it would chase gundam away from the west. As you can see from the previously mentioned video, He is not afraid to point out problems adn even starts a "f**k you bandai" slogan. We should not drop our standards and we should not be lenient with Bandai if they release a gundam game here once in a blue moon as they have done little to impress.

Again, Our standards should not drop and I believe that if we are strict enough on Gundam they either must change, Or stop sellign games here entirely. If the latter occurs, I believe it is for the best as we do not deserve to be treated they way they treat us now.
Wimhoff

Con

Wimhoff forfeited this round.
Posted by Tentak 3 years ago
Tentak
crap, The argument for round three isn very clear either