Ma_Ro_Va
Amphia

Same sex schools are bad for all concerned (version 2.0)

Ma_Ro_Va has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Ma_Ro_Va

Pro

Thanks for having replied, Amphia! I started this new debate because the time limit finished on the old one, but I want to keep discussing with you, so let's start with my answer...

I think my ideas are so different from yours because of culture. Where are you from? I live in Italy and schools here are completely different compared to those I read about in your descriptions. For example, we don't have extracurricular activities, we've no clubs (chess, drama or poetry classes and so on). In my opinion, in same sex schools, violence and fights are rife because of jealousy and envy.

The other opponent (who commented my old debate) said that "it just isn't the right age to fall in love". Well, I don't think there's a "right age" for that, even if obviously we can't talk about love during childhood; however we can say that from the teenage years. It happens when it has to happen =)
Amphia

Con

I would like to start off by posting part of my first argument since you didn't respond to it. That way you can do that in the next round.

Same-sex schools actually have many benefits. In all-girl schools, girls don't feel like enjoying math or sciences makes them "weird" or "odd". They also are more free to pursue certain classes traditionally dominated by boys like math and science.

"There"s a widespread belief that single sex schools help to challenge gender stereotypes and broaden the educational aspirations of both girls and boys. Single sex schools enable girls and boys to feel free to learn and discover any subject, with girls able to pursue interest in male-dominated subjects such as maths and science and boys able to explore music and the arts. Indeed, at the 26 Girls" Day School Trust schools and academies, girls are more than twice more likely to opt for science or engineering degrees at university level than girls nationally."

http://www.bbcactive.com......

It can also benefit boys. They are less likely to be bullied for being interested in subjects that are traditionally dominated by girls.

"Some research and reports from educators suggest that single-sex education can broaden the educational prospects for both girls and boys. Advocates claim co-ed schools tend to reinforce gender stereotypes, while single-sex schools can break down gender stereotypes. For example, girls are free of the pressure to compete with boys in male-dominated subjects such as math and science. Boys, on the other hand, can more easily pursue traditionally "feminine" interests such as music and poetry. "

https://www.greatschools.org......

Boys and girls learn differently and suiting both genders' needs in mixed school can be difficult for teachers. Same-sex schools make it easier to focus in on different learning styles.

"Tailor Learning To Boy-Specific Needs
Many experts agree that boys and girls learn in different styles. An all-boys school allows teachers to make slight but significant changes to the way they teach " for instance volume of speaking voice, frequent checks of understanding to maintain focus on the topic, incorporation of motion into learning activities and use of mild team-based competition. This is effective in increasing boys' engagement with the class material and their work ethic.

...

Encourage Participation In Non-Traditional Subjects
There is a higher participation of boys in non-traditional subjects and extra-curricular activities at single-sex schools. At mixed school, many boys shy away from joining things like choir or drama for fear of being branded unmasculine. At an all-boys school, they can worry less about fitting a gender stereotype, because all participants are boys.

Reduce Pressure On The Non-Sporty
In mixed schools, girls tend to dominate student leadership, organisation and academic honours. This means that boys tend to retreat instead into a more narrowly defined sphere of power where they can assert their own dominance-- almost always sports. This tends to disempower all those boys who are not naturally sporty. In an all-boys school, all the power -- and all the responsibility -- must rest with boys, and they respond well to that challenge."

For girls:

"Build Their Confidence In The Classroom
Many girls worry about appearing "geeky" or "nerdy" in front of boys, so in the classroom they are embarrassed to raise their hands and step forward with their thoughts. At an all girls school they won"t have this inhibition, so they may have more confidence to contribute to class discussions and ask questions, which will help their learning in the long run.

Reduce The Amount Of Classroom Disruption
Studies have shown that young boys tend to be more disruptive in the classroom in a mixed-school environment. When teachers have to stop the class to talk to them, it interrupts the lesson and wastes your daughters learning time.

Increase Their Opportunity For Sport Involvement
Participation of girls in sport clubs is a lot higher in all-girls schools. This is because in a mixed gender school, sports resources tend to be aimed more at boys" sport participation. Additionally, around boys, many teenage girls are self conscious of the way they look doing sports, so will refrain from taking part.

Boost Female Independence
All-girls schools can also contribute a great deal to female self-esteem and independence. Teenage girls can see that they don't need boys to make them strong and powerful and that girls can excel in typically male dominated fields such as maths and science."

https://www.care.com......

Now, on to your arguments.

I suppose we have different ideas because of culture but at the same time, you can't generalize that all same sex schools are bad because one of them is rife with jealousy. Also, have you been to one? I wasn't clear on whether you went to a same-sex school or whether you've seen one.

Furthermore, jealousy and envy are not inherent to same sex schools. Jealousy and envy is part of being a human, mixed schools have the same problem. Jealousy and envy are also present in the adult world. So just because you saw a fight in a same sex school does not mean that same sex schools are innately violent.

Regaridng falling in love, I suppose it does't matter the age but either way, that should not be the reason why you go to a mixed school over a same sex school because you want to fall in love. Trying to force love makes it harder to find.

Same sex schools have many benefits as I said before because they allow teenagers to pursue their interests regardless of whether it is considered a "feminine" or "masculine" interest. Same sex schools are not bad for all concerned.
Posted by TPPDJT 3 years ago
TPPDJT
Ma_Ro_Va,

Please win my man.