ZeldaMafia
SalmaX33

School Uniforms should be banned?

SalmaX33 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

ZeldaMafia

Pro

The First round is acceptance. I take the Pro side arguing that yes, School uniforms should indeed be banned.

Nothing specific as per rules, except no new points must be brought up in the last round and the second round is reserved for introduction.

Thanks.
SalmaX33

Con

I am happy to debate with you, I will let you start, I have no specific rules of my own to place, so go ahead
ZeldaMafia

Pro

Let's begin by defining the terms -

School Uniforms - A school uniform is a uniform worn by students primarily for a school or otherwise educational institution.
Mandatory - required by law or mandate; compulsory.

The stated purpose of schools is to educate and deliver knowledge. So, where does the need of uniforms come into question?
Now, classically you could argue that school uniforms give a kind of professionalism and make students feel like they are a part of the school. But, why that's not always the case is what I'll discuss below.

I have arranged my arguments in points for the convenience of my opponent.

Firstly, School Uniforms do not in any improve behavior, attendance or grades of students. I say this, because there is no evidence on the same. Infact, there is enough evidence to counter this.

https://www.theguardian.com...

If you went over the last source, this is quoted from its first paragraph
""More than 200 Bradford secondary school pupils were sent home from school this week. Their crime? Uniform infringements. They weren"t burning bras or tying their ties around their heads. They were wearing trainers or the wrong cut of trousers. But is it OK to deprive someone of a day of education just because they don"t look smart enough?""

Apart from the obvious wrong of not letting students enter school, it is also sadly considered to be "smart" for a student if he wears school uniform. Really? Today we are judging smartness based on someone's appearance? That in my opinion is completely ridiculous.

Secondly, many people have argued that wearing non-school outfits for school may lead to competition between children. "The race to who wears the best dress". According to them, school uniforms create a sense of equality among students. While this may be true, let's not overlook the fact that it's the teachers' and administrative staffs job to control competition and fights between young students. Wearing what students feel best, not only brings out the creativity in students but also boosts their self-confidence and belief. So, does limiting a student's stylistic freedoms worth it in order to 'properly' educate him/her in the eyes of those pushing uniforms in schools?

Both the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court itself have agreed that freedom of expression at schools should not be limited without reason.

Thirdly, School uniforms don't come cheap, atleast nowadays. If you live in the 21st Century you know that School Uniforms include shirts, pants, skirts, scarves, ties, belts, socks, shoes and even school bags, in some cases. Multiply these by 3 or 4 for 5 days of the week. The grand Total comes out to be $25-$200 (The range is so vast as uniform costs depends on the material used and the retailer involved). Now, let me ask you: Is it all worth it? Paying so much for something for your child, that you know won't fit him/her next year? Add to this, these uniforms aren't entirely durable. School Authorities can often be strict and ask students to buy new uniforms for something as small as a pen mark.
http://education.costhelper.com...

Best of luck to my opponent! :)
Happy New Years' in advance.
Posted by SalmaX33 1 year ago
SalmaX33
I am so sorry i did not mean to forefit, while you do make a good point I have to say that freedom to do what you want with your school is your choice, i dont like them but i agree that if you want to have uniform iin your school you should be able too