Anonymous
xbluedollyx

School helps people in the future

Pro

School prepares you for the future because it teaches you how to become an everyday worker. Think of it this way, your boss doesn't want you slacking and not doing your work in a everyday environment. Well thats what school is an everyday environment where you complete assignments and whether you do them is up to you or not. However in a common work place if you don't do your work you end up fired, or in an almost same way you fail the class. Which if you think about it is almost like failing your job.
xbluedollyx

Con

School is good for anyone who wants to join a profession that requires lots of math or science. For example, a zoologist or Statician. Maybe at one time school was designed to discipline children in a way that helps them complete their assignments and stay motivated, but this is 2018 and most kids get bored, or don't want to seem smarter than other kids or don't want to get bullied later on for asking a stupid question in class so they do the minimum work required to pass their classes. And bigger schools have bigger class sizes meaning the teacher can't always get to have a one on one time with every student. So therefore the school fails to discipline them in that area.

When I graduated I was literally able to look back and say "wow what the hell did I learn?" Maybe I tackled a few math problems successfully, learned some new vocabulary, and a bit of geography but really I could have learned all that in the comfort of my home. What tools did the school give me other than how to succeed in a job working for other people? How about teaching us how to become entrepreneurs, how to get and use a credit card, how interest works, taxes etc? And sure some of those things should be taught by the parents but what about the kids who have no parents who know about these things or even care enough to educate them on these things? If schools want their students to graduate being fully prepared for the future they need to start giving them the necessary tools to not only survive but to also excel and move forward to bigger and better things in this world.

Pro

The very fact you guys are ranting about school like a bunch of preschoolers is proof enough the schools don't teach you enough. Ranting about a system that's been in place for nearly 150 years won't change it, so deal with it. BTW, you've dealt with it your whole lives.
xbluedollyx

Con

Dude your argument makes no sense. In fact, your agreeing with me. Get your facts right. And I'm not gonna just deal with it like we "just deal" with everything else that needs to be improved. Unlike you there are people who actually want to see a change and aren't afraid to put an action to that.

Pro

School CAN prepare you for adult life, but there is no guarantee; you must take school, like life, into your own hands. One point brought up by anti-schooling proponents is the lack of direct correlation between school and "reality," i.e. life without a teacher directing what is mandated. A common thread here seems to say school neglects financial knowledge; that can be rectified. The true problem with schools is often how they're taught. STEM courses can be incredibly creative classes, but they're often taught as memorize-able classes where discovery is unimportant. The point of schools is to help you help yourself. While poor teachers and classes can hinder learning, one of the most important things I've learned from school is how to take things for myself. If a teacher is bad, I teach myself. It's not about money; I can make money. Before someone points out that the dropouts ran our computer renaissance, I would point out that schools should help us help ourselves, including when to drop the regimen of standard paths and start on our own. (I have a hard time acknowledging an argument that says schools are useless when the authors could't even compel themselves to spell check and add superfluous capital letters. We have English classes to learn about the art of Rhetoric and persuasion; you're a lot more credible if you sound well-educated and intelligent. For the middle schoolers here, give high school a chance. If the curriculum doesn't work for you, take matters into your own hands.) life isn't about waiting for someone to teach you.)
xbluedollyx

Con

I'm going to try to keep it professional since you just decided to throw it out the window with your childish insults. I mean you really going to insult my intelligence over a few grammatical errors? What are you Mr. Perfect? By the way you sound a lot more credible without your head stuck up your arse. Anyway I never said schools were completely pointless; To sum it up I was saying that everyone doesn't need to wake up every morning to go to a physical school because people can learn everything they learn at school in the comfort of their home. That goes for primary and secondary school. Not so much college since it really depends on which major the person is taking up.

I do agree with you that we should not always look to other people to teach us something and sometimes we can take matters into our own hands if we want to gain further knowledge about a topic. Although learning a topic on our own does not have to be carried out at a physical school. Half the things that are taught in schools these days will be irrelevant to a large portion of our everyday lives especially if most people are not pursuing careers like doctors, dentists etc. That is why there is such a thing called home schooling.

Physical schools are basically like a day care for parents while they go on about their days. You do a bunch of assignments that someone created to keep them entertained in which they will only remember a small percentage of especially if people find the information non-essential, you eat lunch, they keep you active with sports or other extracurricular activities, then your parents pick you up and you do it all over again everyday of the week. Point is half the things we do at school are not guaranteed to make us smarter or lead better lives. Those things will guarantee a higher success rate only when combined with life skill lessons that will effect us in the long run and will be more effective since we will be using the skills we learn every day.