natedaparson
passwordstipulationssuck

Schools shouldn't have a dress code

natedaparson

Pro

I believe that the dress code at most schools is sexist or just plain pointless. Not allowing kids to wear hats or wear their hoods with hoodies. Also women have to literally cover up most of their body. I believe that as long as no one is naked or has something inappropriate on their clothing there should be no need for
passwordstipulationssuck

Con

I will begin by building my own case them move on to attack my opponent's.

Virginia Draa, assistant professor at Youngstown State University, reviewed attendance, graduation and proficiency pass rates at 64 public high schools in Ohio. Draa's study concluded that those schools with uniform policies improved in attendance, graduation and suspension rates. So as we can see, School uniforms while not directly tied to increased academic performance are tied to behaviors that are linked to increased academic performance.

a few more pros of school uniforms.

The costs of uniforms can be managed.
Although the cost of a uniform can be difficult on some families, it can often be managed. Many schools which require one specific daily uniform can purchase clothing in bulk, saving money for disadvantaged families. PTA buy-back programs, fundraisers, crowdfunding, and community supports are often in place to help with the costs as well.

3. Student attendance is better in schools with uniform policies.
When there is a mandatory school uniform code in place, statistics show that student attendance rises. This is because classrooms become more disciplined and orderly, allowing students to evaluate themselves instead of evaluating how they compare to their peers. The uniformity that is created lessens tensions, bullying, and violence that can occur in schools, which improves attendance.

4. It becomes easier to identify trespassers.
When students are required to follow a specific dress code, it becomes much easier to identify people who may not be allowed on campus. If an intruder is wearing something different that the school uniform, they stick out like a sore thumb when surrounded by students and teachers who are following the dress code.

5. It"s easier to find children when a class is off-campus.
If a class is on a field trip, then it becomes easier for teachers and school administrators to quickly identify the children who are with the group. It"s also a useful tool to locate children that may leave a school campus without permission for some reason. This lessens the risk of having a child go missing.

Optional items can allow students to still express themselves.
Allowing students to wear jewelry, hair ties, and other optional items can still offer students a chance to express their individuality. Thus the individuality argument collapses.

Now to address my opponent's case. First he makes the point that not allowing hats or hoods is pointless. However, as I previously mentioned, it is important that school officials be able to identify an intruder quickly and easily. If students covering or obscuring themselves with hoods or hats becomes the norm, this becomes much harder.

He also makes the point that women have to cover up. Right. So do men. It's important that the school environment be as free of distractions as possible. So both women and men need to cover themselves and not dress like prostitutes.

To conclude, School uniforms have many empirically proven benefits and the only cons my opponent has provided are either invalid, (covering up.) or if they were not implemented, would decrease school safety. (hats and hoods.)
natedaparson

Pro

Most of the stuff my opponent is completely true and I agree on most of it and while I agree that allowing students to still have a little individuality with a uniform by allowing them to wear necklaces and jewelry, it just isn't enough. Allowing kids to be able to choose what they want to wear teaches them many life skills. Also Yes, Uniforms would stop a lot of bullying but bullying really doesn't happen that much if we just better educate our teachers on how to handle situations.

Also about your argument on covering up. At the school I go to, I hear many reports that women are getting in trouble then the men for dress code violations when the men are wearing about the same amount of dress code violation worthy clothes.
For example, I(Male) walk in to the school with my friend(Female). We are both violating the dress code at our school in the same way. A teacher walks up to the both of us and only addresses my friend and I don't get in trouble at all.
passwordstipulationssuck

Con

My opponent agrees to the vast majority of my case including my scientific and empirical evidence that school uniforms cause increased academic performance and school safety.

He also agrees that school uniforms would stop a lot of bullying in the status quo. His argument that we need better informed teachers falls because that can only take care of an incident after the fact.

My opponent's next argument is anecdotal evidence and thus is fallacious. Just because one person interprets a uniform code as different for men and women doesn't mean that the system is broken. Second, I don't have sufficient information to properly address the point. What was she wearing? some things that aren't revealing on a man is revealing on a woman so simply stating you were wearing similar clothes is not sufficient evidence on sexism within school dress codes.
natedaparson

Pro

If we better informed the teachers they would learn tactics on stopping the bullying before it even happens. If a teacher sees any budding bullying between one person and another they will know how to stop it. Also I'm ready to state my final case. Kids really don't find shoulders and pants with holes above the knees distracting. Especially with the holes argument, As long as it doesn't show any genitalia, what's so bad about shorts being really short and having holes in pants? Now I understand how spaghetti strap tank tops are not allowed because of the chance of the strap falling down but regular tank tops don't show that much issue. It's not like kids are shirtless, they are only showing their arm all the way to the elbow. Now I can tell you this. Yes my argument did not have all the things to back it up yesterday and here it is. The girl in my story was wearing pants with holes above the knee and nothing else that broke the dress code and I had easy to notice holes in my pants too. This story has happened to me 3 times and it was from different teachers so it wasn't just one teacher.
passwordstipulationssuck

Con

When we say "better informed teachers." there has been no program proposed by my opponent. Mediation makes bullying worse and group rehabilitation for bullies makes the issue worse. With no plan going forward this argument holds no weight especially not in the face of all of my empirical evidence that school uniforms are beneficial that have thus far gone unrefuted.

While students may not find these specific things distracting, dress codes often extend to far more. Need I remind you that your position in this debate is " I believe that as long as no one is naked or has something inappropriate on their clothing there should be no need for" for a dress code I assume. That means that your position covers allowing far more than ripped jeans.

My opponent concludes with more unconfirmable anecdotal evidence. I would urge the voters to hold my empirical, scientific, evidence based arguments over my opponent's anecdotal evidence which cannot be confirmed and does not cover his own position in its entirety.
Posted by Rad_Chad_Is_A_Mad_Lad 3 years ago
Rad_Chad_Is_A_Mad_Lad
i note that pro is arguing against a dress code, rather than against uniforms. A dress code merely restricts certain types of clothing (t-shirts with inappropriate messages, clothing that is deemed too revealing ,etc.), as opposed to a uniform which requires a specific type of clothing.
Con, however, is arguing in favor of having uniforms, rather than dress codes. I think that Con had very good arguments and i agree with his point of view, however his arguments took a different direction then i think was intended by the instigator.