Astri.Angels
asta

Secular Argument Against Same-Sex Marriage

Astri.Angels has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

Astri.Angels

Pro

This first round will be for my opponent to accept this debate. Before we begin, I would like to state that I strongly support same-sex marriage and the reason that I am debating against it is because I am taking a class in school that involves being able to debate both sides of controversial topics. I would like to practice this by debating in favor or against many different topics, Whether I agree with them or not, So that I will be well-versed in different possible arguments and counter-arguments for a debate.

Anyways, As the title states, My side of this debate will not involve religion. Please only accept if you agree to be respectful and to handle the topic in a mature fashion. Thank you.
asta

Con

Some background:

I am an atheist, So I will attempt to keep religion out of this. I have changed my stance on homosexuality multiple times. Now however, I believe homosexuality should be discouraged because of the following argument:

Homosexuality causes the spread of the HIV virus much more frequently then straight marriage.

Https://www. Hiv. Gov/hiv-basics/overview/data-and-trends/statistics states that 1. 1 million people have HIV within the US. This is about 1/300 Americans. It also stated that homosexuals account for about 67% of the all diagnosis, Or about 730, 000 diagnosies.

The site also stated that the HIV infection rate among gays has been about stable, While it has been declining overall.

Gays make up about 2% of the US population. This means that a gay person is about 33x more likely to have HIV then a straight person. It also means that there are about 6 million gays in the United States. If 800, 000 of them are HIV+, Then it means that 13% of gays have HIV/AIDS. This is more then the rate in Sub Saharan Africa, The birthplace of the disease.

Summary:
-Most HIV diagnosed and current infections are from gays, While they make up only 2% of the population.
-Gays are 33x more likely to have HIV
-13% of Gays have HIV, About the same rate as what is in Sub Saharan Africa, The birthplace of the disease.

If Homosexuality is encouraged by society, Then more people will be gay. As a result, The HIV rate will skyrocket and life expectancy will decrease.

Source:
-https://www. Hiv. Gov/hiv-basics/overview/data-and-trends/statistics
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
@asta
Thank you! Though I disagree with you on this topic overall, It's good to see that you're still defending the individuals as people rather than bandwagoning and insulting their sexuality.
It can be EXTREMELY difficult to find a source that isn't biased; neutral sites are out there, But I haven't seen many.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
Yes. But men are necessary for the reproduction of a species. And being a male is not a choice. Plus, Males as well as females also contribute significantly to society. Males can do some things that females will rarely do, Like cure STDs and male traits like competitiveness are one thing that allows them to be better then females in some situations.

@ Mosc

I don't like it when you say, "Poor thing has suppressed the sexual abuse his family abused him as a child. Poor thing does not realize that suppressing rage, Causes the seed of a demon to grow. Give this pathetic sex molested child a few years and behold the next psychotic mass murderer" and

"What do rabbis do with leftover circumcisions? They sell them to f*gs for chewing gum.
What is the first sign of AIDS? Sharp pounding sensation in your tuches. "
Posted by missmedic 3 years ago
missmedic
Being a man makes you more likely to be promiscuous.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
@asta
what? You don't like my use of Yiddish?
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
@ Mosc

Can you try to act more professional? It's a suggestion and it will make you more likely to convince others.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
@ 32

Both of your cites have some bias to them. I'm just putting that out there.

@missmedic

What if being gay makes you more likely to be promiscuous? What else could it be?

@felixmendelssohn

In that world, Assuming straight people married on their own, They would be more likely to be monogamous since they wanted to keep their marriage a secret and they didn't want outside people to know about it. To the rest of the world, They would be known as good friends. To each other, They would be a couple.
Posted by Block19 3 years ago
Block19
@ asta
I was hoping you could understand the concept of my argument. I am trying to explain that you are arguing against something (gay marriage) but the arguments you are making have nothing to do with marriage.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
@mosc

Oh gosh. . . Catholic priests. . . Just. . . No.
Lol I've had far worse than sexual abuse. I've been able to face my past and move forward despite it (for the most part). If sexual abuse were any part of it, I'm certain I would remember. But it never has been.
A murderer. . . Really? Unlike you, I know how true grief actually feels and I wouldn't wish that for anyone nor do I wish for anyone to die.
These jokes are just getting weird. You seem far more perverted than you even accuse me of being. Whether these are original jokes or not, The fact that you may find these really weird ones to be funny is pretty disturbing. You say that I've been molested as a child, But if anyone should be pointing fingers it would be me; you are far more disturbed than nearly everyone else on this site.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
@IQ 32
Tuches, Yiddish for bottom. . .

What do rabbis do with leftover circumcisions? They sell them to f*gs for chewing gum.

What is the first sign of AIDS? Sharp pounding sensation in your tuches.
Posted by mosc 3 years ago
mosc
@IQ32
Poor thing has suppressed the sexual abuse his family abused him as a child. Poor thing does not realize that suppressing rage, Causes the seed of a demon to grow. Give this pathetic sex molested child a few years and behold the next psychotic mass murderer. . . Or even worse, The next catholic priest. :)))))))))))))))))))))