mhk220
Masdebating69

Self-Driving Cars

mhk220 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/8/2018 Category: Technology

mhk220

Con

I believe we should not have auto-driving cars controlled by AI. They can easily be hacked by hackers, and could stop working at any time. I feel like it could cause more accidents than people driving cars themselves. We already some deaths from autonomous cars, and this cultivate been prevented if we had an actual person drive it. Once we hit super artificial intelligence, then autonomous cars might be much more safer then. But again, what if the AI gets hacked. The AI needs to be perfect. Elon Musk himself said, "AUTOPILOT IS GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME, BUT IT IS NOT PERFECT AND STILL REQUIRES THE DRIVER TO REMAIN ALERT." Sorry for the caps, I copied and pasted this. If the AI is not perfect, it'll just cause more casualties. What about people who drink before getting into their car? Well there could be ways to prevent a situation like that from happening. People hosting parties can reduce the amount of alcohol they allow for a single person to have. They can also just serve soft beverages instead, as well as not giving alcohol to minors. There is other ways to prevent drunk driving from happening as well on my 3rd source. We can prevent text driving by telling cell phone companies to install and app that mutes notifications when driving, and replies to that texter explaining that the person that they are reaching to are driving at the moment. My 4th source shows free apps that can be used by cell phone companies to prevent a situation like this. Self-Driving cars can wait until we are able to reach super intelligent ai. Until then, I believe we should not have self-driving cars. It is a great idea, but we don't have the perfect technology for it. Good luck to the person accepting this debate! :D
Source(s):
(1) https://www.nytimes.com...

(2) https://www.theverge.com...

(3) https://www.statefarm.com...

(4) https://www.honkforhelp.com...
Masdebating69

Pro

Good luck to you as well.
Alright, so I don't believe self-driving cars are that big of an issue. I'm also not sure what you mean by "Super AI" because all AI's are just an autonomous program. Pretty much any car made after 2006 can be controlled remotely if you know how. AI hasn't done anything to make that harder or easier. The simple fact is, an AI requires an internet connection to constantly update, download bug fixes, and upload user and world data. They do this in cars by implementing either a satellite or LTE band that enables the car to be constantly connected at all times without consuming too much power. At the same time, if you can physically apply a piece of hardware or program to the car that can give you the remote control, you could (theoretically) control that car from anywhere. This has nothing to do with the AI, only to do with the fact the car will not lose connection with you as you are controlling it. Also (theoretically) if this is that much of a rampant problem, they can really just update the AI to stop the car if it doesn't detect a driver or if hands are not on the wheel, it COULD be that simple. In conclusion, you can hack a car quite easily if it has a direct connection to the internet at all times, but not the AI. Hacking the AI would be pointless and frankly would be much more work.
Sources: None
mhk220

Con

What I mean by 'super AI' is where AI would have intelligence that would surpass human intelligence. And if a self-driving car would have an AI like this, it would be better since they would be making smarter moves while driving than humans. Today, we don't have the technology for that at the moment. But when we do, they would be useful for self-driving cars. Hacking the AI wouldn't be pointless. If someone for example wanted to assassinate a person that is in an autonomous car driving by itself, then he or she can just hack the AI, control what it does, then kill the person. They would need a really well made security to make sure a hacker can't hack the AI. Hackers can do anything really, and if they can hack the car easily, then they would most likely be able to hack the AI. There was this hacking group called "Lizard Squad," and what they did was hack into PSN which made people who played on the PS4 not being able to play online for quite a while. But not only have they hacked PSN, they hacked the North Korean WiFi, celebrity accounts and etc. The point I'm trying to make is that these AI's can get DDOS through internet connection in the car. There are ways to prevent this, but all the ideas can still give hackers a way to hack into them since they can find the vulnerabilities. You may say why would a hacker try to waste a good amount of time trying to hack a car, but a group of them could possibily just hack a dozen of cars if they find ways to do so.

(1) https://www.technologyreview.com...
(2) https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
Masdebating69

Pro

Hacking the AI would be pointless because the AI isn't the car. The AI is simply holding the wheel and controlling it. The AI has been tuned to be able to drive the car. When you are playing a video game would you hold the controller yourself? Or hold somebody else's forearms and try to guide them to the right controls? Remote hacks can never be executed without a physical touch. Some form of the hack must be executed physically due to firewalls, the only was to get past these firewalls is to physically walk past them. There may be a place to plug in on the car to upload a controller program, they may have to upload it to the servers directly, but they cant execute a remote hack without first plugging in, which brings me back to my original argument: cars have been in danger of hacking for years, AI's are not doing anything to help or stop hacking into cars and controlling them, they were already just as vulnerable to hacking before and after AI was implemented. AI is only giving the hack vulnerable car a computer operated controller to make your day easier. One more time to reiterate: Hacking the AI would be pointless because it would only allow you to modify the program which if you don't know the coding will most likely just make it stop working correctly, but people hack into and control cars all of the time regardless of AI.
Posted by asta 4 months ago
asta
You can start a new one.
Posted by mhk220 4 months ago
mhk220
Sorry I didn't get to do my round! I forgot about this debate. :)
Posted by asta 4 months ago
asta
Humans cause about 30,000 deaths on the road every year. Given that every time a self driving cars (SDC) does one, it makes the news, I would say that SDCs are safer because of this. They can prevent 90% of car accidents if they replace every non SDC car (https://www.wsj.com......).
Posted by pali1 4 months ago
pali1
I don't support Self Driving cars because if one person has an automated car and one doesn't the automated car won't understand what the non-automated car is doing and they will crash. Obviously, someone will die. Also, think about it this way, the hackers can hack the system and kidnapping may happen easily. I think it is either safer for all cars to be automated or none of the cars should be automated.
Posted by asta 4 months ago
asta
Car workers can find new jobs, like building new roads for the SDC.
Posted by Zombieguy835 4 months ago
Zombieguy835
Self Driving cars will cause less accidents, but will cause unemployment to skyrocket, because the trucking industry is huge in the U.S. While I agree that accident will decline, the economy will likely suffer
Posted by asta 4 months ago
asta
Humans cause about 30,000 deaths on the road every year. Given that every time a self driving cars (SDC) does one, it makes the news, I would say that SDCs are safer because of this. They can prevent 90% of car accidents (https://www.wsj.com...)

"What about people who drink before getting into their car?" They still get punished, but less severely because they will cause less damage to others.
Posted by mhk220 4 months ago
mhk220
Yup I agree Asta
Posted by asta 4 months ago
asta
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be better than humans.