AKMath
Smooosh

Separating Illegal Immigrant Children From Their Families Is Okay

AKMath

Pro

Separating illegal immigrant children from their families is okay.
(Start your argument in the first round).
Have a good debate! :)
Smooosh

Con

"Okay": used to express assent, agreement, or acceptance.
"OK, I'll pass on your message"
synonyms:all right, right, very well, very good, fine, fair enough.

The policy of seperating migrant families has done nothing to disuade immigrants from crossing the border. Obviously, the process of separation costs taxpayers more money as well. So, based on the fact that it's ineffective and costly, makes it painfully obvious that it is not in any way, shape, or form, "okay". Also there's a humanitarian aspect to this argument too (if you're into that kinda thing).
AKMath

Pro

It's not about dissuading immigrants to cross the border illegally. It's about enforcing our laws to keep our actual LEGAL immigrants and citizens safe. While some may be good, some may be bad and we don't know who's who? Honestly, I believe crossing the border illegally should be a felony, and we should shoot them right at the border like in the 1840's. The safety of our immigrants and citizen can't be priced. Honestly, I don't believe they should be held at all. They should be deported back straight away. (without due process as there is no reason you have the right to cross illegally). I meant okay as fin/justified/acceptable. AS for the humanitarian aspect, if you would like us to give them "suitable" living conditions don't be alarmed when your taxes go up. You, people, choose a little below-the-bar standard for these kids who are probably going to get deported with their families anyway. or higher taxes.
Smooosh

Con

I agree, it's not about dissuading illegal immigration. It is about enforcing the law, but first and foremost, it's about how much it's gonna cost ME, the taxpayer. Read the constitution, and try and convince me that it doesn't protect our individualistic rights, then and only then will we understand the difference between an indivualistic society, (which is what we are)and a collectivist society(welfare state)! I'm not willing to let the feds have a blank check to do what they want with my money, for whatever reason . They seem to only know how to make a problem worse and then turn around and demand more money to "fix" the problem. It doesn't take a college degree to realize that when the minimum wage goes up, so do prices! If immigrants are willing to work for less, they'll get hired so businesses can sell for less because they don't have to pay an immigrant worker nearly as much as a domestic worker. If we lower the minimum wage, we lower prices. If we lower prices, the legal taxpayers on the bottom earning rung can afford to buy more, if they can afford more, then more people will need to be hired, which creates more jobs. Come on, this is basic economics! If we continue to demand higher wages, we hurt our chances of being a competitive labor force, and businesses will hire immagrants, or move to other countries altogether. I bet there's some of you who would say "well we can just force businesses to only hire legal citizens". Sure, lets forget about runaway price gouging. Lets make it impossible to make a profit when doing business in this country. Lets make the same mistakes European countries make! Lets pay 12$ for a loaf of bread, as long as the minimum wagers are happy, right!?! Or we can actually fix the problem.

Whether my opponent wants to seperate immigrant families, or shoot them, or gas them, or whatever, I don't want to pay for it! My opponents argument only works if he/she was correct in assuming most crimes are committed by immigrants. I'm sure we all know that it doesn't take a college degree to realize that most crimes are not committed by immigrants, right!?! As a taxpayer and a citizen of this individualist country, I don't want to have to pay for my opponents, or anybody's paranoid clarion calls. http://criminology.oxfordre.com.... The safety of our citizens does have a price, and we're the ones who have to pay for it. Actually fix the problem, don't keep gouging me for money!
AKMath

Pro

Exactly it will cost YOU, the taxpayer. So I ask you do you prefer higher taxes or lower standard living conditions. Exactly that is the problem. Illegal immigrants displace American Workers. Nationwide illegal immigrants take 8.5 million jobs American workers could have. When illegal immigrants come, they lower the minimum wage for everyone. This makes jobs in a sector dominated by illegal immigrants less attractive to American workers. Another example is supply and demand. Illegal immigrants are willing to work for less. This adds a ton of supply to the labor market, except the demand stays the same. Soon all blue collar American jobs will be taken. But enough with this trash. What does this have anything at all to do with illegal immigrant children being detained? They can't work so your labor force argument makes no sense.
Smooosh

Con

Illegal immigrant children can, and do work. I suspect my argument didn't quite land with my opponent. We want minimum wages to go down, that makes prices go down. That's a good thing. I'm not sure why my opponent thinks that illegal immigrants cause market supply to increase, and I also don't know why that would be a bad thing, even if it were true, or made sense. If supply goes up, but demand stays the same, that would mean prices go down. That's also a good thing. What jobs are these immagrant hoards taking from us, are they good paying desk jobs, or ones that get you lucrative sponser deals? Probably not. They're cleaning toilets and picking goards. I'm not sure about my opponent, but I don't know to many Americans who are looking to become life long crop pickers. I guess all blue collar jobs are going to disappear soon too. When, who knows? I guess that's one where we'll just have to take my opponents word for. Lower taxes makes my standard of living go up! I believe there's a direct link between more money and happiness. I know it sounds outlandish, but I truly believe it.

Lets recap.
Seperating immigrant families:
* is ineffective
*cost taxpayers money
*does nothing to deter others from crossing the border
*is needlessly inhumane
*makes Bono angry, and when Bono gets angry, we all suffer because we gotta here him bitch and moan in that annoying irish accent oh his. (shudder)

So no, seperating immigrant families is not okay.
Posted by factandevidence1234 3 years ago
factandevidence1234
AKmath, if it's ok I'd like for you to answer this question. If you had been raped, or shot, or beaten in your previous country, and you had to escape to the US, would you think it's OKAY, and just give away your child. It's just like you walking up to a criminal and saying "here take my child"
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
"AS for the humanitarian aspect, if you would like us to give them "suitable" living conditions don't be alarmed when your taxes go up. You, people, choose a little below-the-bar standard for these kids who are probably going to get deported with their families anyway. or higher taxes." there are only 2300 kids. It costs virtually nothing for the government to make good living conditions for the children.

I'm centrist on immigration. If you come into this country, you have to Legalize. If you come here illegally, you should pay a fine and legalize like the immigrants who did the right thing.
Posted by 32doni32nido32 3 years ago
32doni32nido32
It seems to make sense, as it could be a punishment for coming illegally or a warning for others, but does that make it right (or as Pro says, "Okay")? Of course not.
So, no, it's not "okay" based on family connection, but it logically does make sense.
Posted by Smooosh 3 years ago
Smooosh
I actually wasn't aware that the policy originated from the Trump administration. No matter, wherever the policy came from, it's not effective!
Posted by Debating_Horse 3 years ago
Debating_Horse
Being that I myself am a Trump supporter, I disagree with the president on this situation. Of course it would be irritating to have to constantly send families back across the border, and separating the children is not the best idea, but sometimes, those children can grow up to be gang members, which is why I somewhat to a small percent, agree with his actions on the situation. But still the separation nonsense just creates more of a problem, my view on this particular topic might change upon me viewing different opinions, both conservative and liberal.
Posted by Smooosh 3 years ago
Smooosh
Don't worry Nd, I got you covered!
Posted by Nd2400 3 years ago
Nd2400
This is not Okay, it will be costing even money, either thou, no one is talking about this part of it. Plus it morally wrong.