kyleniel
Leaning

Sex work should be illegal

Leaning

kyleniel

Pro

I personally am not against sex work (porn, Prostitution, Etc. ), I'm just playing Devil's advocate so I could attempt to gain some logical criticism of the anti-sex work crowd's rhetoric (which, In this context, Means thing I heard them say).

So let's get into it.

1. Sex work harms women by forcing them into sex they don't want, Be it through facilitating human trafficking, Or from exploiting women from lower-class environments who don't have a choice.

2, It causes addiction and will harm boys.

3. It will ruin families/society/[insert important thing traditional values].

4. It increases urges of rape.

5. It's a sin.

6. It is dirty.
Leaning

Con

Ehhh, Sure. Lets go.

1. Forcing you say? There are plenty of people in the world who don't want to work. Who don't want to break their backs in manual labor or demean themselves by serving other people. But, Working for other people is a fact of life. Should we outlaw jobs that generally go to people who are in the lower class or need a job no matter the needs? Think about it, There are a lot of jobs like that.

Making 'it' legal would in fact make it more difficult for people to be illegally forced into such a profession

2. Causes addiction and harms young boys? Pretty sure there are plenty of people who have sex without getting addicted. Also some people who get addicted, But the act of $ changes that?

3. Do you dare say the people of the state of Nevada have no family values? Also pretty sure pornstars are normal people as well. Probably have families.

4. Same reasons as #2 for the most part.

5. Lot of atheists in the US of A it seems nowadays. Besides there are so many other sins people take for granted in America, Most people aren't going to care.

6. Same reasons as #2 for the most part.
kyleniel

Pro

1. Yes, But sex is more traumatizing to women, So prostitution could be more harmful. Also, Germany's laws for prostitution at least correlate with increased instances of trafficking.

Can't debate the rest though.
Leaning

Con

Sexual assault would be traumatizing I imagine. To men or women. The act of sex itself being traumatizing I need a bit more information to be convinced. Some persons working in a slaughterhouse, The military, Or even as an actor in an exceptionally demanding filming of a movie could be traumatized by such an experience, Would you outlaw those professions as well?

The legalization of something would cause an increase in it's availability and possibility to be abused I suppose. Guns, Marijuana, Painkillers, Other examples I can't think of. But you get the rub.

Of course illegal, Forced, Unwanted prostitution would be hands down wrong, And ideally stamped out by people. Do you feel the same about willing prostitution?
Leaning

Con

A cunning argument, Alas I can think of no way to refute it. So I'll simply make rambly conversation during this round I suppose. Hmm, Why do people get offended by sex work? I wonder if it is similar at all to people being offended by public nudity? Sure I can't really think of public nudity hurting anybody, Except perhaps in a hygienic sense of where such people might sit. Are people wrong for holding to core values however? I often feel what is the point of any value? It's just some environmentally caused belief. Even values such as harming or not harming other people develops depending on the environment, Times, Society. So if we look at it that way are the people who are against sex work wrong? Well, Right this second I don't think so, Though this doesn't mean I'm conceding the argument right here and now. I also think maybe the people going about their efforts in support of sex work wouldn't really be wrong either. . . . . . You know actually I'm already bored by this conversation I'm having by myself. . . . . . Hmm, But still 8, 945 characters left. . . . . . What's that? I don't actually have to use them all? And using all of them would be a bit obnoxious? Well, That's one point of view. The other that I hold is that people don't actually have to read this whole stack of text, I'll even put a warning label at the very bottom in bold that informs people reading this block of words is likely a waste of time and will not bring them much if any knowledge concerning the debate. What you still think it's a bit of a d**k move? Well f**k you buddy! . . . . . . Who am I talking to? Hmm, Ah well. Oh, Abandoned I am in this debate, Well this round of this debate. By an opponent wh-. . . . Yes I suppose he could have made multiple rounds in case he needed to use them later on, But simply did not to this round. . . What do you mean I'm being overly detailed and unnecessarily focused on the number of rounds? Well, Maybe a little bit. . . . . . Wow it is only at 8, 004 characters, And still I am bored. . . . Sooooo, What shall I talk about? Well, Do we really have to talk? I mean it's not as though we're really enjoying it. Hmm, True. . . . . . What if we read bad poetry? Yeah. . . Yeah, That could burn some time! You know we don't actually have to use all the characters, It's not as though we used them in the last couple rounds. Oh, Be quiet common sense. . . . . Still I think boredom has a rather good point, This is rather boring. So boring in fact I'm not going to finish boring myself. ALL THE WORDS UP THERE BY LEANING IN ROUND 3 ARE RATHER POINTLESS, PROBABLY BETTER OFF NOT WASTING TIME READING!
Leaning

Con

Odd, I thought I already posted to this round. . . . Ah well, Musta just slipped my mind.
Leaning

Con

Oh, Very well.
Posted by Bob16 2 years ago
Bob16
What if legalization increases the demand for prostitutes but women don't want to become prostitutes in the area?
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
They probably have a better chance of getting pregnant in illegal prostitution than legal prostitution. Similar example.

https://www. Quora. Com/Do-female-porn-stars-get-pregnant-while-doing-their-job

I would like to note that I'm not a campaigner for legalizing prostitution. Mostly I don't care because of apathy and confusion about morality lately. But if there was a vote to legalize or criminalize it in Oregon, I'm mostly sure I would vote to keep it criminalized.
Posted by asta 3 years ago
asta
What if the prostitute gets pregnant?
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
Right and wrong. . . More feeling and sudden surges than logic maybe? If you don't have the same "soul" as the people offended. . . . Will you ever really get it?

Using the term soul loosely, And you can probably acquire or lose such a soul I suppose.
Posted by Leaning 3 years ago
Leaning
I used to feel more against it in the past now I just feel apathetic about it and many subjects (I think). But hey, Gotta do something about my boredom with this site. And with the forums full of spam to the eyeballs, Eh I suppose I'll debate a bit.
Vote Placed by Adam_Godzilla 3 years ago
Adam_Godzilla
kylenielLeaningTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both made pretty good arguments.
Vote Placed by tejretics 3 years ago
tejretics
kylenielLeaningTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct because, for all intents and purposes, Pro forfeits two rounds. Arguments because Pro's case is taken down and Con's single argument still stands. Point (1) is a bare assertion, and Con points out that many sex workers choose their professions in a system of legality. Points (2) through (6) are un-explained bare assertions. Con's case is simpler: it's that sex work is indistinguishable from any other work and ought be legal, under the ethical principle of autonomy. This argument is dropped.
Vote Placed by BertrandsTeapot 3 years ago
BertrandsTeapot
kylenielLeaningTied
Reasons for voting decision: Kudos to Pro for trying to take the other side of a debate, but I don't think it was successful. This seems to be a pretty easy one - Con made far better arguments and Pro often just responded with a couple of irrelevant words. Neither used great sources, so it's a draw there. Con makes a lot of great points and shows that for almost everything Pro says, there's an analogy to be drawn outside of sex work. In most of those analogies, it seems clear that even Pro might be okay with them, it's just that the sexual aspect is clouding their thoughts.