MohamedD
Crostesh

Sexual Consent App Is it immoral or moral? WHY?

MohamedD has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

MohamedD

Con

Sexual consent apps like LegalFling which allows you to post ur consent before having sexual intercourse online on an app. I find this immoral but need arguments on why it would be.
Crostesh

Pro

The formation of sexual consent apps make for very interesting and I guess divisive discussion. I would like to use the first round of debate to outline a few of my points of view on the matter before going forward.

Your use of the words moral and immoral interest me. Considering that morality is defined as "principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour" and "a particular system of values and principles of conduct [1], your assertion that sexual consent apps are immoral shall be understood as your belief that said apps are at odds with mainstream societies acceptable standards of behaviour.

I, however, dispute this claim. It is accepted within contemporary that consent between two sexual partners is required. Non-consensual sex is rape. Therefore the purpose and nature of these apps cannot be immoral. The app serves the purpose of transitioning consent -- which is typically verbal or non-verbal based on a mutual understanding between two individuals -- into the form of a digital contract. There is nothing there which challenges society's standard of behaviour and values towards sexual relations.

At this moment I do have two critiques of sexual consent apps which i wish to offer:
1) It is a damning shame that these apps are deemed necessary. Has the erosion of personal relations and social dignity devalued the worth of traditional notions of consent? If this is the case are we moving towards a society where these digital sex contracts are the only accepted forms of consent? If so this requires a deep reflection of attitudes towards sexual relations, consent, power and rape.
2) Does the presence of a contract consenting to sex, strip away a mutual understanding between two sexual partners. Where once sexual consent was based around understanding and accepting what is acceptable by knowing and communicating with your partner , I am concerned that this contract once signed could be seen as a definitive form of consent even if post-agreement one sexual partner attempts to withdraw their consent. For example two members enter a sexual consent contract, they begin to engage in sexual relations, one partner feels uncomfortable and wishes to withdraw consent, the other partner continues under the pretext of their consensual contract feeling as though this legitimises their desire to continue. Could sexual consent apps disrupt the power balance and understanding of traditional consent in such a way?

This is an interesting topic for sure. Sad, but compelling. I look forward to your round 2 arguments.

[1] https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
Posted by Crostesh 3 years ago
Crostesh
Great debating with you MohamedD...