blanda48
PaintDescent

Should AR-15s be legal?

PaintDescent has forfeited round #2.
Started: 4/4/2018 Category: News
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Debating Period

blanda48

Pro

AR-15s are semiautomatic civilian grade weapons. There is nothing that makes them much worse or more dangerous than handguns or shotguns. However, after the events of the Parkland school shooting, there has been a push to outlaw these weapons. The problem with this is that making AR-15s illegal won't solve any problems, and it will limit the choices of a law-abiding citizen for what gun he wants to protect himself with. The Virginia Tech shooting showed us that you can kill large amounts of people with a simple handgun. Outlawing AR-15s won't solve this problem.
PaintDescent

Con

Before I start I just want to say I am extremely against guns. I believe you should be allowed to have guns, but nothing military grade like this weapon the AR-15. I will hopefully be using the 10,000 character limit to its fullest extent. I wish you good luck, and may the votes be in your favor. Now, shall I begin?

So, for starters I had to search up, "How to deal with ignorant people" and I am going to use this Wkihow article. https://www.wikihow.com...
I'd like to use #8 in the article, "Rise Above". "Keep in mind that an ignorant person may simply refuse to change their views or try to understand yours." I understand your views. I understand why you want this ArmaLite Rifle to be in stores. But my views are different, I hope you can understand. I hope you can be willing to listen to my views.
I searched up "Are Ar-15's military grade?" And this Pro-Gun website popped up.
https://www.nssf.org...
What I didn't understand from that website was the final point.
"And, they are a lot of fun to shoot!" Why was this included I have no idea, but it does not add credibility to the Pro-Gun website.
I also searched up "Why do people want AR-15s?" And this funny website popped up.
https://www.nbcnews.com...
One of the most disappointing things I saw on the website was "For others, it is a toy, a sleek beast of black plastic and metal that delivers a gratifying blast of adrenaline."
This was a disappointment that thinking advanced hunting rifles were used as "toys"

Onto my actual points, that was a bit of banter.
Your argument is saying that it will not allow law-abiding citizens to defend themselves. Why would you need a Semi-Automatic Rifle to defend yourself, when you can easily just carry a pistol? What is the point of wanting a weapon that seems military grade? Are you that bad at hunting that you need an AR-15 when you can use a Beanfield Sniper Remington Sendero SF II? Or maybe use a Penny-Pincher Ruger American? It makes no sense that you'd be forced to use a rifle like that when there are many different alternatives.

To tear down your point about defending yourself, couldn't I defend myself with a butterfly knife? Why would I need a gun? Oh, maybe because butterfly knives are illegal? This is the reason: "In certain jurisdictions, balisongs are categorized as a "gravity knife", "switchblade", or "dagger". ... In Chicago, it is illegal to carry concealed a knife with a blade longer than 2.5 inches. Concealed carry of a double-edged knife is prohibited. Automatic (switchblade) and gravity knives are prohibited."
Provided by https://en.wikipedia.org.... Now that's funny since I'm using a wiki on this, but alright. If a butterfly knife is banned, why can't your silly AR-15 be banned? Surely an AR-15 can cause much more damage than a simple butterfly knife? Is an AR-15 really suited for civilian use? What would you have to defend against that you needed a Semi-Auto Rifle to defend yourself?

You can easily purchase a gun from gun shows, you can easily purchase an AR-15 from a gun show from the age of 18. Would you want someone who is mentally damaged to have an AR-15? What type of things might they be doing with that weapon? Would you really need the weapon to defend yourself, or would you just want it to just have it? Sure you can collect things, but why collecting guns? What is the fun of collecting guns?
I can't have a drink until I am 21 years of age, yet when I turn 18 I can purchase an AR-15 from a gun show. Why am I not allowed to drink, but I can buy a lethal weapon? Sure you can make the excuse you can buy other guns at the age of 18, but why not restrict this gun? What is so special about all of these weapons? An AR-15 is not needed by a civilian, an AR-15 is wanted by a civilian. You will not be needing to defend yourself with this type of lethal weapon.
Legal age 21 source: https://drinkingage.procon.org...

How will you know Outlawing AR-15s won't solve this problem? It is taking a dangerous lethal weapon out of civilian hands. Also, what is wrong with limiting choices? Why do you need so many choices of weapons? What will ONE type of weapon being banned due to you?
I'd take a look at the opening scenes of this article's video. https://www.nytimes.com...
In those opening scenes, the people firing those rifles are not defending themselves, they are on a range. But I still can't see where in hell you'd use that rifle to defend yourself.
I wish you good luck on this debate, and I hope you respond well.
blanda48

Pro

I think I need to use this argument to debunk some of the things the opponent has stated.
1. "Why do you need a semiautomatic weapon when you can use a pistol"
Pistols are semiautomatic. And you"re calling me stupid. Get your facts straight.
2. "Why can"t you use a knife to defend yourself?"
If someone attacks you with a gun, you can"t defend yourself with a knife.
3. "Why do you want mentally unstable people getting AR-15s?"
I don"t. I never said that, ever.
4. "The AR-15 is military-grade".
The AR-15 is civilian-grade. Again, get your facts straight.
6. "You can easily buy guns at gun shows".
This is a famous gun myth. However, it"s not as easy as you think.

You keep talking about how the AR-15 is so much more dangerous than other guns, and I would like to know why. You haven"t given a legitimate reason. I would be surprised if you could give me a reason I haven"t already disproved.

Also, calling someone stupid isn"t the best arguing technique. (lol)